Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting survey done, is it the norm to attend?

Options
  • 17-08-2021 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all, we have just gone sale agreed on a property. It's an older property so we need to get a fairly detailed survey done which I have arranged for this week. Would it be the norm that one of us, as potential buyers be there while the survey is being carried out? Or would it be more usual to leave the surveyor at it? We hadn't planned to be there until the auctioneer asked if we would be and now I'm wondering would it be better so we could ask specific questions of the surveyor. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We have done in the past, where we're getting a quick survey done. The surveyor would take an hour to go through the house and then walk us through the house pointing out anything major, before sending on a full report a week or so later.

If you're getting a more detailed survey done though, it'll take a couple of hours, just leave them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You would only be getting in the way asking questions and annoying him about things he will be writing in his report anyway.

As well as when he is looking into something you will be watching him, getting all worried the issue is worse than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,258 ✭✭✭✭ted1

go with them, let them do the survey and at the end get them to point out areas of concern..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Just say you’d like to meet at the house when they are finished....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 melchior1951

We also had a survey done recently on an old house. The surveyor was there first for two hours by himself and then was there for another hour to walk through the house with us and explain his findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

If I was surveyor, i would not want people shadowing me. However, meeting at the end seems like a sensible solution. On a tangent, I know someone recently who paid the surveyor before getting the survey delivered and had to wait weeks, which nearly delayed the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I've done the odd survey. Don't do them too often.

The above are right. Best to meet them at or near the end. Depending on the complexity it could take a few hours. Most surveyors will be methodical. And someone about distracting and poking about could delay or worse end up missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Thanks for all the replies guys. I took the advice and my husband just met them at the end. It was very helpful - more so than just reading a report. Survey went very well, so onwards and upwards!

Advertisement