Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tiling on suspended floor

Options
  • 18-08-2021 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just want to confirm something. Starting a renovation soon and we had originally planned to replace the crap wood flooring in the kitchen with laminate. However we've changed our minds and want to put down tiles instead.

The current floor is wood on joists so there's no concrete slab to lay the tile on. The builder said that the tile can be laid on the existing floor but this sounds like a hack to me, plus the existing floor is level with the adjoining hallway and living room so adding tile in the kitchen will create an offset between the floors.

Just wondering what the right way to go about this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Not many ppl around here since the "upgrade" :( although there have been some improvements - you can see what you've read before etc so hopefully people come back.

I think if they added the "hover over the thread to see the first post" feature it would almost be the same as it was before.

Anyway, to answer your Q, it depends on the makeup of what you refer to as the crappy wooden floor.

If its un-even it will cause issues. Really what you want, is to put a flat sub-floor down (ply wood or backing board - merits of each have been debated :) ) over the floorboards or whatever is there (if its solid wood) - but that is going to bring your level up again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you ever want to go away from tiles, tiling direct to the suspended floor will probably mean replacing the suspended floor entirely due to the damage. As you probably won't be tiling under your kitchen cabinets etc this would be Very Tricky.

Ply between the suspended floor and the tiles (or vinyl to smooth out the board gaps) won't cost much and avoids this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks guys, not sure what wood the floor is exactly, possibly pine. The boards are only 2" wide and they were not offset nicely and they are well gouged and stained but not in that nice way you see sometimes. I'd be happy to rip the lot up and just put down tile on ply if that's the best approach. I've no interest in saving it and if it costs more that's fine. I don't think the floor is quite even either so might resolve that to a point. We're replacing the whole kitchen too so will be tiling the lot if that makes things easier.

Thanks!

Advertisement