Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pedal plates

• 10-08-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Has anybody used pedal plates.

https://www.bike24.com/p2302544.html

The basically turn a keo or spd pedal into a flat pedal.

Think it might be handy if going for a spin with the kids or when you don't need/want cycling shoes.

I also do the odd adventure race so they might be handy rather than messing about swapping pedals and that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's a very smart idea indeed. I must pick up a pair of them.

yes.

useful for using bike for a short trip where you don't want to use cycling shoe obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I have a pair of shimano ones for sale at the moment if you are interested? Used about 5 times and changed to xpedo/look cleats so no longer needed. Will do them for €10?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The wattbikes in UCD gym used to have them. Just be warned they can be a bit of pain to remove.

I have been tempted, but tbh, I'm alright on spd-sl pedals in normal shoes for a quick spin.

I find it best to use an hex key or something on your multitool in the hole on the side to get the leverage and twist them off that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭casion3

I have read they are tricky to get out all right.

Gonna get a set and will update with a review.

Do people find them OK on the watt bikes with trainers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's a few years, but the wattbikes may of had toe clips, but yes, lost using them. In the end I just changed the cleats from look keo to spd, which was the other side of the pedal. No idea why I didn't do that first, but probably had road shoes (and was doing triathlon (hence the ucd membership) which probably affected my judgement as well as my sinuses!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Personally, with the exception of SPDs and speedplays, almost all clipless systems can be ridden with regular runners with ease. The other two can be used but less comfy but SPD-SL, Look Keo etc all do fine with runners if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

^^ They can get very slippy in the wet though so it may be a safer proposition to use the pedal plates in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

I've been using them for a few years now, good option if you mostly use your bike with cycling shoes but have occasional use for the bike with regular civilian footwear.

They can be hard to remove with just your hands, but not completely impossible. I use an Allen key that simplifies the job greatly.

I've also left them on the pedals numerous times when I've had it locked up out and about and never had them stolen. (Though I'd attribute that to the common scummy bike thief being ignorant of their existence rather than any inherent security.)

• Advertisement

I seem to recall a post of yours a few years back with a picture to accompany it of you wearing converse to do a sportive in Swords having forgotten your cycling shoes? Or maybe it was another poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I have the SPD-SL version and they work reasonably well. The added weight puts them on the underside of the pedal though so you need to flip them over with the toe of your shoe each time.

Removing them is not too bad - I pull the spring-loaded clip on the pedal down with the heel of my hand as I twist them outwards with the other hand and they pop out easy enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not sure if it was me but I have ridden decent distances on converse, and had photos up of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Captingoogle

Should be no problem to post if you pay for the cost. I think postage should be €2? I can confirm that at the post office. So €12 posted on that basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Captingoogle

Sounds good to me, PM me your details and ill send you payment through paypal if thats ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

If that sale happens to fall through, I'd be happy to take them posted for the same price

Sorry Cletus they are in the post as we speak. Havent yet tested the Look style ones on the assioma pedals but will report back when I do as to how well they work

Advertisement