Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power bank for a laptop ?

• 07-07-2019 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

Is there such a thing ? I have a 3 cell battery in my laptop.. At best I get about 3.5 hrs on a full charge. Pretty crap. It's an i3 8th generation, let down by a crappy battery...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mondeo wrote: »
    Is there such a thing ? I have a 3 cell battery in my laptop.. At best I get about 3.5 hrs on a full charge. Pretty crap. It's an i3 8th generation, let down by a crappy battery...

Ya you can get a AC power bank they hold like 30000mah. Seen them on Amazon about 100 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is yes.

Find reviews on youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQ9KnlBtKc

the best option for mobile charging having usb-c charging but you probably don't have that on your laptop (as you can use a lighter type of power bank that has enough output)

need to check that there are enough watts output for your laptop charger

Volts x Amps = Watts.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=laptop+power+bank&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

mondeo wrote: »

What laptop make and model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Prime day 15th and 16th so if ya can wait, might be a bit cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

glasso wrote: »
    What laptop make and model is it?

It's a Lenovo ideapad 330s, intel i3 8th gen processor. There is a USB C port but I don't think it can be used for charging it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This should handle your laptop, it has been regular lightning deals at 70 quid too

• Registered Users Posts: 43 aismac

I'm trying to find one to buy in Ireland for a Lenovo Legion 5 - the wattage on the power adapter says 230W. Most of the (better) ones I've read about e.g. Anker etc. only go up to 60W max (maybe 85W) but say they work for laptops. Most also aren't available to purchase in Ireland. This is to extend the battery life of a laptop while working in an outside shed being converted for studying. Anyone any recommendations for good ones, buyable in or from Ireland, that work for a laptop like this? Many many thanks, A.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Atom Powapak Pro €290 works up to 150W. I doubt your laptop needs 230W to actually run, rather the high wattage is for recharging the battery quickly.

https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/Powapacs-Atom-Pro-Portable-Power-Station/m-31146.aspx

Thank you, though that’s a bit higher than I wanted to go on price. This is just for backup and to extend power when working in a converted shed in the garden. I’ll check that site though. Thanks a million.

• Advertisement

the legion 5 is a gaming laptop with a high power draw due to the graphics card and higher wattage cpu than you'd get in an ultrabook so it's not ideal for running off a power bank at all.

so an ultrabook might use 10w an hour where the Legion might use 80w even when not gaming.

look at using power saving / battery saver mode on the laptop

I had been wondering about that in general - it’s my sons laptop I’m looking at it for. Thanks a million for taking the time to reply and definitely saving me time, money and trouble.

Advertisement