Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Do It

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Defo the right decision not to race! I hope the back clears up quickly for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sh!t luck, I always think its mad how injuries can be like dominos. one knocks into the other.

Were the pop up races seeded or something? Just looking at results, and the odd numbered races seemed to be a lot more winnable. maybe just coincidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

crisco10 wrote: »
    Sh!t luck, I always think its mad how injuries can be like dominos. one knocks into the other.

Were the pop up races seeded or something? Just looking at results, and the odd numbered races seemed to be a lot more winnable. maybe just coincidence!

Kind of seeded. You gave a predicted finish time and they worked around that. I think if you put sub 18 , half the folk in your race would be sub 18 and other half would be maybe sub 20/21. They didn't want 15 running as a group I believe. .

I haven't posted for a while as I haven't felt the need to. I seem to be stuck in a hamster wheel. I'm moving but I'm not really going anywhere and end up back in the same frustrating place.

I have got into a rhythm on a few occasions recently but each time I've been held back for one reason or another. The PF returned and I'm trying to manage it as best as I can, as I really don't want another break from running at present for physical along with mental reasons. I am several kilos heavier that I was 6 months ago. My diet has gone to hell but currently tackling that one slowly.

I have been paying to get beaten up a few times recently by a physical therapist which has definitely loosened up my calves, quads and glutes a fair bit. There has been been times when uncontrollable tears have streamed down my face during these "treatments" . I'm going to get fitted for orthotics this week so will be interested to see how I take to them.

I haven't had a long run in months now and I really miss them. Anything over an hour at the minute and I get repercussions in the right heel. I'm hoping the orthotics will help on that front. I seem to be "fine" up to the 45-50 min mark no matter what pace or type of run I do. Due to this, I'm doing 2 or 3 runs with faster stuff a week along with mixture of easy runs on grass(very little structure).

I'm looking very doubtful to be able to do an Autumn marathon but have not fully ruled it out yet. If DCM gets canned , I probably wont break my balls. Galway bay is a backup but that will come too early for me. I'd need to be doing longer runs now. Marathon training is where I'm happiest, although chipping away at the minute is a lot better than been able to do nothing. Cheers.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭token56

Sorry to hear that the pf is still being a pain and hanging around. Out of curiosity did you ever look into shockwave therapy? I had a few rounds of it myself and while I was a bit dubious to being with I'm convinced it is what made the difference for myself.

• Advertisement

token56 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that the pf is still being a pain and hanging around. Out of curiosity did you ever look into shockwave therapy? I had a few rounds of it myself and while I was a bit dubious to being with I'm convinced it is what made the difference for myself.

Cheers, I haven't ruled it out anyway. I remember your update on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fingers crossed the orthotics do the trick for you D. Still relatively early days with mine but they do seem to have really helped with my foot issue. I know how frustrating a nagging injury can be... hopefully a corner will be turned soon.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Fingers crossed the orthotics do the trick for you D. Still relatively early days with mine but they do seem to have really helped with my foot issue. I know how frustrating a nagging injury can be... hopefully a corner will be turned soon.

Cheers A. Great to see your milage clock going up.

Post edited by Lambay island on

Last 5 weeks I have very slowly been building fitness.

21-27th June - 33 miles

28th June -4th July - 34 Miles

5th -11th July - 35 Miles

12th-18th July - 36 Miles

Monday 19th July - 4.6 miles @6.54

I had arrived on the Saturday with the family to Dungarvan for the week. We got blessed with the weather as was approx 25 degrees and sunny every day we were there. We were based right beside the beach and the greenway so every day bar one we cycled to the beach then did a journey on the bikes down the greenway for lunch or dinner etc. I was in my element. It was bliss.

I went out for this run about 20.30 and capped myself to about a half hour as wanted a couple of beers. This was simple up and back the greenway with a slight progression on each mile.

Tuesday 20th July - 6.5 Miles @7.47

The holiday was the priority so I was always going to try to get out when I can. Unfortunately that meant , it was nearly always going to be during the hottest part of the day. This was another jaunt a bit further up the greenway and a return back down in dead heat. Despite running next to the sea, there was no breeze and I must have drained about 4 pints of water in a row after this one. I tried my recently acquired orthotics here. It was fine for first 30 mins but had to stop and take them off as i was starting to blister on my instep. I should really be building it up 10 mins, 20 mins etc so thats the plan now.

Wednesday 21st July - 4.74 Miles @7.51

Had about 40 mins free here so completed about half on the local beach hurdling jellyfish and the other half on the greenway. Later on that day we were visiting friends out Tramore direction. I took the scenic Copper coast route and glad I did. Ive been on this road a few times before but never in this type of weather. I have been to the Amalfi coast but this was more spectauclar looking at the views and all the folk enjoying themselves on the hidden gem beaches.

Thursday 22nd July - 4.36 Miles @6.53

Something similar to Monday's run and went out the hottest part of the day. My watch was reading at 27 degrees as I set off. Again, this was a cheeky 4 mile progression getting down to about 6.30 pace and splashing toxic sweat all over the passerbys.

Friday 23rd July 5.54 Miles @7.46

I loved this one. Spent more time on the roads that brought me down to a packed Clonea beach and back around via the gold coast golf club before rejoining the greenway for the last 10 mins. Due to the temps in the middle of the afternoon, I seemed to be the only runner out amongst an avalanche of cyclists.

Saturday - 13.14 Miles @ 7.21

Planned a rest day as was travelling back. Had a lovely dip in the sea before I left. When I got home, my feet were getting itchy and it suited better to get out that night rather than early the next morn.

Went up Stepaside direction and did a few miles on the Fernhill running path. I did 3miles easy than 1 on followed by 2 miles easy then 1 on and 1 easy and another 1 on x 2. Then finished with a couple of easier miles. I was delighted to get through this and believe it or not due to injury, its been my longest run of the year. Took a break on the Sunday and felt a very minor PF symptom but seem to subside by Monday. Onwards and upwards ✌️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dungarvan/Clonea/Gold Coast is a beautiful spot - and I'm sure even moreso with the weather last week.

I took a similar approach with the orthotics - phased them in gradually over a few weeks and built up the distance with them over time. Looking back at my Garmin records - I've done every run since late April in them, so spent about 6 weeks introducing them. On my first few runs with them I was feeling a blister starting after a mile or two, but now I can go 10 miles (and probably further if I wanted) with no issues. I also found that a thinner sock works much better for me with them - anything too wooly was more likely to bring on a blister.

Great to see you building again.

Thanks A. Some good tips there. Will try the thinner sock. I have only tried them in two pairs of running shoes so far. One I have had no issue at all and ran 10km easy yesterday in them. The other(better pair) I feel the blisters after about 15 mins at the min but I'm thinking it's because it's more intense running I do in that shoe. I've incorporated them fully into my standard day to day walking shoe now too.

July 26th - Aug 1st - 45 Miles

Increased Long run to 15 miles. I'm using Orthodics for most runs now, bar the long run due to blisters etc . 4x8mins at 6.25-30 was the workout session during week

Aug 2nd -8th - 47 Miles

Steady 10 mile run on the Monday before a few days down in Cork staying with friends. A couple of runs shared with a fellow 2019 Boards Novice was nice. Long run was 17 Miles with a friend who helped pace me for my virtual marathon last year. He is in good shape and I felt like I was holding him back a bit. He is tuning up for Belfast. I finished up as was goosed and he went on a bit further to make the 30k.

Monday Aug 9th

7.28 Miles @ 8.14 around Marlay - Nice easy enough hour

Tuesday Aug 10th

7 miles @6.51 - 3 x 1 mile at approx 5.45 pace followed by a several 30 seconds bursts later on in run. This was due to be 4 x 1 miles but was tight on time. I felt really strong after this. I could feel the fitness building.

Wednesday Aug 11th

6.14 Miles @7.57 followed in the evening by my now weekly game of Astro. I go very easing playing the ball, barely breaking out of 2nd gear to avoid injury. Sometimes, the competitive edge gets the better of ya though and you do a needless sprint for no real value. Enjoying the bit of craic of it more so than anything else. I was thinking I would only play possibly one or two more as the marathon training was becoming a bit more intense.

Thurs Aug 12th

6 miles @8.25

Sat Aug 14th

18 Miles @7.15 -About 8 miles of this were in and around marathon pace. 3miles on 1 off, 2 on 1 off x 2 finishing with 1 on and 1 off. This was my longest one since last Oct, but felt strong most of the way through it. I was off before 6am as was working after. After sitting down at desk for a couple hours afterwards, seeing me trying to get up would have been a sorry sight. An epsom salt bath defo helped ease me out of the stiffness stage.

Sun Aug 15th

4 miles @8.29 - A little clip around marlay. No ill effects from previous day run

48 Miles for week

Due to my plantar fasciitis issues this year I couldn't plan much beyond 50 mile weeks in marathon training. This time last year, I was up in the mid 60's with a peak of 70. I'm now taking a day off and cutting down on an easy mile or 2 on most runs v last year. I've been watching the fitness build, V02 go up and really happy with how I have been managing the body. I came off this week confident to a certain degree that I could still run a sub 3 marathon with the far reduced mileage. This marathon is due to be Galway Bay. if its not on, I may look for another alternative but I wont be doing a virtual again. They seem to be still posting positive vibes about it but who knows with how decisions have been made in Ireland lately. Due to the uncertainty of it all, I really wanted to race so I signed up for 5k in Celbridge next Thursday. My midweek session was planning to be something with that in mind. Sub 17 may not have been realistic this time but I was hoping I could go sub 17.30 anyway.

Monday Aug 16th

6.21 Miles @8.38 - easy miles around Marlay

Tuesday Aug 17th

8.15 Miles @6.57

I'm not 100% sure what my MP was. I obviously want to train to where I'm at, as opposed where I want to be. I was testing the HR guide and legs for approx 6.30 pace. This was 5 miles at that pace with relative comfort. In my mind, I was thinking I could currently do a half at that pace alright but possibly too hot for the full right now. It definitely gave me food for thought anyway as I eased into my last cool down mile. About 50 yards ahead, I saw an excited looking dog off his lead. I was happy with my pace so didn't want to break stride to potentially have to deal with the dog(don't get me wrong I like dogs, but wanted to avoid). At this stage I decided to do a hard left and cut between two football pitches on the grass. Within about 30 seconds, I was flat out on the ground. I had inadvertently put my left foot in a rather large hole in the ground. The surface was covered by grass so it wasn't visible at all. I could immediately feel the pain in the ankle and took me a good 3 minutes to get back up on my feet. Test one was I could walk, albeit gingerly the half mile home. As the day went on despite the constant icing and elevating, the throbbing continued. This morning I have woken up with significant swelling with added bruising for effect.... F**k.. .... 😃 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That’s **** luck,

would you consider a foreign marathon

San Seb in Spain is open for entries, last week in November

TbL

Not sure what I'll do at the min.

I'm deluding myself a little now thinking sure this might be okay in a few days when the swelling subsides. I've done ligaments in ankles before and I know they can be slow burners,so I should know better.

Ideally, I'd like my first crack at a foreign marathon to be at a stage when I'm fully prepared and invested in it. I dont think I would be invested in it at the minute. If I booked a flight to Spain right now, I'd probably end up having a boozy wkend :)

It's easier (in my mind anyway) to justify some smaller local event this year for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Monday

20 minutes at 9 min mile pace. The swelling had subsided by Saturday and the bruising was fading. This was still a risk though as ankle was still tender and was just 6 days later. I strapped it up and as long as I was on flat ground, it was OK.

Tuesday

30 mins at 8.25 pace. Slight increase in pace and distance but still with support on - no issues

Wednesday

3.5 miles @ 7.35 pace

Ditched the ankle strap here to see how I fared. Run was going well which led to the mind drifting off somewhere else. That place was the celbridge 5k the following day , which I had long ruled out after going over on the ankle the previous week. When I got home I checked the course map and tried to see if there were any sharp left turns- my new desperate barometer. I decided right then I was doing it despite not a single session completed at 5k pace .I wasn't very optimistic.

Thursday Celbridge 5k

I looked around the pen at the start line and spotted a large number of serious looking runners. Like that Homer GIF where he backs up into the hedge, I slipped back a couple of rows .

It felt odd racing in a pack as soon as the gun went. I thought I was going at a steady pace at about 500 metres until I saw 5.10 on the watch. I pulled back a bit and happy to let a few go on up ahead. 1st mile came in at 5.35 and I felt great.

Mile 2 consists of a drag for about 600 metres. I actually picked up a few places here as I kept the even enough pace. It was at the top of this drag that my race plan of progression changed. I was floating about 5.45 pace but the legs wouldn't allow me go any faster even though it was either flat or downhill home.

Mile 3 was simply me just ploughing through around that same pace. I certainly wasn't speeding up. I don't think my position changed in race from here until the last 100 metres.

I knew any hopes of sub 17.30 were gone but at the same time I knew I'd be sub 18 anyway, so I was content. It was great entering back into the athletic club to a fairly big crowd. It gave me a little prod to do a fast 400 on the grass track to steal a position approaching the line. I came in at 17.46. Even though it was approx 50 seconds out from last years TT , it felt like a real achievement after the injury filled year I have had.

Friday - 5k legs stretch.

Saturday - 13.1 miles @ 7.44

I decided to cap this long run at a half marathon and didn't add in any MP miles. It was a nice early morning run and the legs had recovered well from the race.

34ish miles for the week

quick update..

After the ankle injury, I slowly built back up. I was always bearing in mind that It still wasn't 100% and I wanted to keep the milage low so I wouldnt aggravate the Plantar. I think I have managed this so far anyway although nursing in the orthdotics has led to a massive increase in blisters which is fun to look at if your into that kind of thing.🙄

I have managed just one 20 mile run(compared to 5 last year) in this "block" along with several other runs in the high teens. Most of them, I have added "stuff" and I have kept a midweek session albeit shorter than previous ones I would have completed. I am relatively fit, but not race sharp at all.

I plan to run Galway Bay marathon in 2 weeks but I have no real target in mind which is a bit frustrating but also refreshing at the same time. Next two weeks will consist mainly of a few easy runs and may do a parkrun this weekend as part of a longer easy run if I can get out at that particular time. It's a bonus to be in a position that I can tow the line in Galway after the injuries. My main aim here is to enjoy the experinece of racing the distance with the crowd again. If i feel good enough on the day, I will let the legs make the decision of where they take me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm sure you'd find someone to pace if you were interested in that instead 😉

Great to see you back you to the level where you can contemplate lining up for a full marathon and I've no doubt you will still achieve a lot from the run even if a PB isn't quite on the table. Fair play for the consistent patient build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Let us know your Bib number and I’ll give you a shout out.

Have you not been using bodyglide on your foot to help break in the orthotics?

Best of luck on the 2nd

TbL

Thanks. Hopefully we both walk away happy from it. In terms of any pacing gig, I'm too easily distracted to be any use at that 😊

• Advertisement

I'll be honest, it never even dawned on me about using body glide. One foot took to it like a duck to water, while my dodgy right side took to it like a duck to ice. I'm building resistance the hard way 😀.

Bibs getting sent out early next week I think. You won't miss the bald head with the farmers tan anyway.

Delighted to read this D, you have been patient & consistent with your come back so fingwrs crossed it all works out. As for not having a real target it actually feels good to have no pressure on yourself (and usually put there by ourselves!) I did Antrim with no pressure at all & it felt great😊 enjoy it 🤗

Galway Bay Marathon

Where do I start... not to be stealing Coach Kavanaghs line but the theme here is very much "Win or Learn"

A First time DNF for me.

It's interesting - I thought I'd be annoyed ,frustrated, disappointed to name just a few emotions,if I was to DNF at any stage, even more so when there was no injury involved. I'm not at all though, as this was probably inevitable.

The race :

Mile 1 -5

Kept this to myself but target was sub 3. If I could match the 2.57 virtual of last year I knew the exact splits I needed .

Route starts on the pier and heads up and does two loops of South Park in Claddagh. I felt relatively comfortable here but at the same time legs started feeling heavy after the first small loop 👀. The field was already getting quite dispersed and I was conscious not to get isolated for a long period.

6.52, 6.47, 6,44, 6.44, 6.45

Mile 6-10

After been alone for a mile or two, I managed to bridge a gap to 2 guys. Shortly after we reeled in a 4th member to our group that stayed intact for some time. Last week, I finished 2 seconds behind some chap in Marlay Parkrun. I briefly got chatting to him after, and coincidently he informed me he was taking part in Galway. Low and behold, I was now running next to him again and we shared a smirk as we reacquainted.

6.46, 6.51, 6.45, 6.43, 6.45

Miles 11-15

What was a group of 4 now became a group of 3 again. I went through the half marathon mark at 1.28.?? A mile or so later, everything was starting to just irritate me a little. The low blinding sun, the slight increase in wind and then a group of young lads abruptly crossing in front of me going to the sea. This forced me to briefly fully stop which resulted in me in losing a few yards to the two lads. I tried to get back in contact with them but the harder I worked to do so the more I was feeling the pinch. I let them go. I'm not using the young lads as an excuse, as Im fairly sure I was going to get spit out the back of that group anyway sooner or later. Mile 15 became a slog and the demons were already setting in. The lads were now like a boat on the horizon and I looked back and all I could see was empty road too.

6.45, 6.48, 6.46, 6.53, 6.57

I was now at the stage of pi$$ing into the wind. The legs were really heavy, despite the heart rate still low. My brain had fully checked out this race now. I nearly dropped out at 16th mile but I gave myself a chance to see if I could get out of this "blip" . It simply wasn't happening for me today. I thought really hard over the 18th mile and ultimately made the decision to call a halt at 20 miles as I approached South Park again. I just couldn't put myself through another loop for various reasons. I had calculated in my head that I could prob still get home at a pace that would lead me to a 3.08-3.10. It would have come at a cost that I felt it wasn't worth. I have no regrets when it comes to the actual race or decisions made. As Johnny mentioned on my strava- it was a free hit as such.

7.23, 7.25, 7.45, 7.40, 8.02........done

I went back to the hotel with just my thoughts. I had an epsom bath and shower and felt brand new after. I made my way back up towards the finish line to cheer home fellow 2019 novice Jack cross the finish line. He's now impressivley completed 5 marathons since 2019.

Preparation didn't go well. My family were due to come down with me(Initially a surprise). My wife developed a nasty head cold though and they stayed in Dublin. I ended up rushing around on Friday and forgot my Garmin charger and brought the wrong gels 🙄. Breakfast started too late for me in Jurys and didn't organise myself on this front either. I wasn't comfortable from the start.

My training was sketchy due to injury so I'd say I won't attempt a marathon again without completing a proper block.

I have learned more from this than I will from any of the good performances I did at my peak fitness last year. I will probably make new mistakes but I won't repeat any of the above.

Well done to other boards members for some great results today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

This entry should help you put a perspective on it D. Looking forward to seeing you race the next one with a full block behind you. (We might even get that session in together...😉)

2 months on from the Galway debacle, I was hoping to be in a slightly better place with the running. That is not really the case though. In hindsight, I probably should have taken a bit of a break, but my thought process was " Sure I didn't do a full marathon in the end, It will be grand"

Few mitigating circumstances has halted any kind of progression in recent weeks. I have put in a couple of faster efforts at the Marlay and shanganagh Parkrun and a few shorter sessions to keep things ticking over, but mainly easy running. I'm just ticking over more than anything else.

Ive been sticking to about 40 miles a week at the minute as when I tick over that, I get Plantar Facistis reminders. I'm learning what I can or can't get away it. Runners that I cant/don't use orthotics in tend to be the culprits when I tick over the 45 minutes mark. The other main culprit is when I am lazy streching out the calves. Reactive exercises here are no use to me. I need to be proactive and getting ahead of it if I want to build.

I'm simply not in the shape was in this time last year and I have finally accepted that now. I do plan to get back there but I have to patient.

Clontarf Half Marathon

I had signed up to this when it first went on sale back in August. I had long ruled it out though, as was thinking more of getting sharper again at the shorter stuff. Last week was a bit of a mess with a cold circulating around the house along with a busy week in work. I had hardly any sleep then on the Friday night but still woke up feeling far healthier than I had been all week. I needed the release of endorphins and no better way then to try my hand at a race. I had picked up my number a couple of weeks ago anyway, as I tend to be impulsive like this. I jumped in the car and parked in work leaving a nice 2 mile warmup.

It was nice to bump into a couple of familiar faces at the start. I positioned myself just in front of the 1.30 pacer. I ended up running first few miles out the promenade with a Marlay Park run regular . I had previously ran 1.24 in Bohermeen March 2020 and a sub 60 minute 10 mile this time last year, but I knew I wasn't near that level presently. 6.35-6.40 was the target pace. I just wanted to finish today after the DNF, so didn't want to be too aggressive. The first two miles were nice and smooth.

I had never ran at race pace on a beach before and found this part challenging initially. Entering and exiting the beach, the sand is soft and involves some skipping about to find the harder sand . The surface for running the main stretch of beach isn't too bad but found it takes a lot of concentration to get your feet placing right. There was a cross wind here but didnt effect me too much at this stage. I naturally slowed up for similar effort through this section.

6.32,6.33, 6.39, 6.48

It was nice to get back on the flat bike line out towards Howth and felt the legs responded well been back on the harder surface. I remained in a group of about 4 or 5 here for a good few miles. I enjoyed this section both going out and coming back and felt comfortable sharing the workload at the front of the mini pack I was in.

Our group had fractured as we entered the beach. One lad had kicked on and the others had fallen off as I was distracted by the water bottle I had just grabbed then nearly dropped instantly. This meant I was on my own for the whole 2km on the beach which wasnt ideal as the cross wind felt stronger now as the sand glided pass at ankle height. My legs were still reasonably good and was looking forward to getting back on the consistent ground again. Well that was short lived ! As soon as I turned off the beach, the initial belt i got from the wind felt like someone was pulling me back with a bungee chord. I now knew this section was going to be very difficult until I could turn back towards town. I looked at the watch and the pace was slowing up at some rate so bascially stopped looking at it. I just put the head down and tried to keep the form. Somewhere over the wooden bridge, I went by the first woman who seemed to be feeling the pinch from the wind also.

6.33, 6.50, 7.01

Turning back towards clontarf was a welcome relief. I was happy that there was enough energy there to pick up the pace again. The Trim runner who had pulled away before the beach was in my sights again. I got closer to him but didn't quite catch him in the end.

All in all, I was content with the morning work. It was nice to finish a race again for starters and still feel there was more there.

6.34, 6.12 pace for last bit

1.26.41 chip

Easy enough week again this week as out the door with work. Plan to give jingle bells a rattle on sat and hopefully see a few faces from these parts too.

Cheers

Best of luck tomorrow 😊🎅🥺

Thanks. What's the 3rd emoji about? Are u still running it?

Hahaha it was supposed to be 🎄🤣 yep still running it😁

• Advertisement

Monday 29th

5 miles @8.09

Easy enough 40 minutes in the late evening. Legs seemed to be grand and recovered after the Clontarf race.

Tuesday

10 x 1 minute at 5k effort

These turned out to be closer to 10km effort at times. I wasn't long finished the dinner when I got out for this. If I'm trying to do a session in the dark, I tend to navigate towards the Sandyford M50 slip road. There is a good stretch(1 mileish) of well lit, off road bike lane here. The only issue with it is that its well exposed to wind and it was blowing a gale that night. The reps varied from 5.28 all the way up to 6.00 depending on what direction I was running.

Wednesday

5.41 miles@8.19

Got out up to Marlay for an early lunch break here and just did the perimeter along with a bit of looping about the concert field.

Thursday

5.03 miles@8.08

Busy again with work here but found a gap in the afternoon to get 40 minutes in around Marlay and Ballinteer area.

Saturday

The young lad decided he wanted to come into the Phoneix Park, which meant we all had to hop into the car and head towards the papal cross carpark. I knew it was going to be cold one for them hanging about so wrapped the kids up well.

I fluted about a bit at the start but managed to get a 1.5 mile warmup before I ditched the extra layers to my other half.

I was a bit of a late arriver to the pen so didn't really spot anyone initially at the start. I parked myself a bit back on purpose as the plan was a conservative start for the first mile to see how I was feeling. I think I did spot Healy and AMK about 10 rows ahead just as the gun went.

I kept my position for the first KM trying not to come a cropper in the herd, then started to increase pace. My watch was still on mile pace and I usually switch to KM's for 5k races. The first mile beeped at 5.54 on Chesterfield and in truth It felt a tad pedestrian at this stage. The wind was in our faces but there was plenty of shelter, so I kicked on here and kept working from group to group.

Turning off Chesterfield onto the Ordance survey section, my pace seemed to naturally increase without the wind in my face, I continued to gain places through this section. The 2nd mile beeped in at 5.43.

To my surprise at this stage, I had plenty left in the tank so was thoroughly enjoying making ground the whole time with the downhill to come. This seemed to come to me earlier than I had expected which was a pleasant thought at the time. I opened up here as best as I could and let loose down that hill. The 3rd mile beeped in at 5.19.

It was just that turn and mini climb left at the end. ReeReeG refereed to it, but that last section always feels a bit longer towards the finish line but managed to keep the same pace as the 3rd mile to hit the line for a 17.33 for a race PB. I managed 3 faster TT's in 2020 but I think this was more satisfying and don't think I could have got too much more out of it, even if i had started faster. I'd imagine the middle section would have been more of a slog if I had gone out faster and woudlnt have been able to take advantage of the downhill either.

The km splits showed progress throughout 3.42, 3.38, 3.32, 3.26, 3.13

On finishing, I spotted some chap hurl the railings and knock over an elderly lady who was looking after a child and a dog. The dog and child then became stranded from the lady as the crazed man seemed to chase them towards the road. The things you see at the end of a race 😃

I briefly saw Healy and introduced myself at the end followed by a quick catch up with a few other boardies that I had or hadn't met before. Ideally, I would have liked to stick around for a bit of a cooldown run in the park but the kids were frozen. They loved listening to the band playing the christmas music. I made my way back home and ducked out for a 4 mile cooldown around Marlay followed by a hot chocolate in my new mug. An excellantly organised event from Donore and kudos to all the volunteers from the club that made it happen.

Advertisement