Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Volkswagen to buy

• 17-08-2021 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking at getting a Volkswagen golf going up a couple of years so will be newish.

Not sure what type to go for, which is the best engine between these ?

TDI

GTI

GTD

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

GTI all the way.

R, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You'd need to give a bit more details on your circumstances (mileage you do, your budget, your must haves, etc). You may as well ask us "what colour car should I buy?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

TDI and GTD are both diesel. GTI is petrol. As is the TSI range.

The T engines are in your "regular" cars, whilst the Gxx are "sport" versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The more red letters on the TDI badge the better, lad. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I remember those ads red D red i and the best one red T red D red i.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

none of them, the 80's are long gone, 90's a distant memory, 00's the last waltz. Dated to death and back, no longer cool, go for something modern! Even the rozzers are driving around in soup'd up versions trying to blend in, you know it's over then!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I read rozzers, as Roscommoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭StephenRy30

Looking for diesel as I drive all over Dublin for work

Never had big problems with any Volkswagen I have owned was looking at something fast but will probably get it remapped anyway , comfortable and somewhat reliable lol

So the golf Gtd is no good then compared to a Tdi , Gti and golf R ?

Looking at new Volkswagens as they have 0% Finance

No the GTD is better than the TDi but not as good as a GTi and the R is in a league of it's own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A diesel isn't suitable for driving all over Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Its not a VW but how about an Octavia VRS tdi, it can be mapped but I dont think you would need to.

I assume the OP is a wind up merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭StephenRy30

Why is it better then a Tdi ? I understand why it isn't better then the R, I would love a golf R but would be expensive as its petrol

It's the performance model of the TDi. GTD and TDi are both diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭User1998

OP a TDI is a completely different car to a GTI or an R and you shouldn’t be contemplating between the two

Advertisement