Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Espresso Grinder?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bewleys have an unearned reputation for great tea and coffee, because in the 80s and 90s good coffee was very rare and Ireland, and Bewleys was one of the few places you could buy whole-bean in different varieties. I used to love visiting their store in Blackrock as the smell from the different bean roasts was amazing and probably triggered my love for the stuff. Nowadays what they sell in supermarkets are mostly the long expiry date stuff without a roast date, that won't yield a great espresso. James Hoffman has a pretty good guide to buying coffee that's worth a watch. Glad you got it sorted. Eventually everyone will realize that the secret to good coffee is to roast it yourself. 😁

Bewleys nostalgia:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭qb123

It was the store in Blackrock that I was visiting too - looks good in the dispensers, but guess roasted a while ago (thought I'd be alright going for their main one as you'd guess that would be fresher).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Does anyone know where I can buy a Smart Grinder Pro in Ireland, preferably in black? I've checked so many websites and it seems to be out of stock everywhere! Are they no longer in production?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

The sage Ireland website has them in stock. Choose Black Stainless Steel and it has the add to cart option

https://www.sageappliances.com/ie/en/products/coffee-grinders/bcg820.html

Great, thanks. Was looking on the usual Currys, DID, Harvey Norman sites and didn't think to look at Sage itself.

Is there a general shortage of the Sage grinders or what's the reason it's unavailable from the usual retailers?

• Advertisement

I ordered off Bewleys. Delayed about a month - they cited an ongoing parts shortage. Would assume its just related to supply chain difficulties that are being seen quite widely due to shipping issues etc.

How much was it from Bewley's if you don't mind me asking? Can't find it for less than €250 anywhere.

€249.99 - just checked receipt. I'd say to take the option of notification when available - it's likely to be there in the next few weeks. And nothing to stop you buying it from elsewhere in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 KellyKelly

Lidl Are selling a Coffee Bean Grinder, Electronic. We use it in work for the Coffee beans, and its very good.

I think it cost €20.00 ??

If its literally just to grind Coffee Beans, into Powder Coffee, try Lidl 👍️

Was hesitating on buying that Sage Smart Grinder Pro and was going to pull the trigger tonight. I see it's sold out now on the Sage website! Very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

I am using  a Magister grinder, Fiorenzato t-80 rebranded. I found it sitting abandoned :(, ready to go into the bin, in a coffee shop, while installing a coffee machine. I took it, invested around €100 in it and is back to life, it is very good grinder. I have to attach a customized hopper, is too big this one for home user.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Lads, am I mad for considering a Sette 270 Wi? I really like the grind by weight option. It's a fair bit more expensive than the standard 270 but I like the idea of not messing around with a scale. It's also important that we have something easy to use for my girlfriend making coffee, it's ideal being able to just put the portafilter in and be done so something like the Niche is out.

I know it sounds mad looking at a grinder that is slightly more expensive than the Barista Express we have but I'm considering treating myself for Christmas and eventually moving on to a different espresso machine next year.

The grinder wouldn't be held back by the Barista Express would it? The only real negatives I hear about the Barista are mainly from the grinder.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just on your last question, about whether the Barista Express is up to the task with a good grinder. My experience is yes it is. I got an 1zpresso JX-Pro manual grinder a while back. It is very well regarded, and produces a very impressive grind. I can pull incredibly consistent and perfect shots using a naked portafilter, no channelling and it looks picture perfect when coming out. Using the Barista Express grinder it would be much more hit and miss, even if I felt it was well dialled in.

I've had my Barista Express for a year and a half and it's been brilliant for me. I'm sure I will upgrade in time, but I can't see much point given my results.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

I am going to hijack this thread. I am going to replace my Rancilio rocky grinder, I am thinking of a eureka mignon specialita or a Sette 270. The Eureka is more expensive but from the reviews I have read the Sette is probably as good.

an integrated scales would be nice, but this isnt vital. Should I consider anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

The settle can have gear problems over time.

The eureka is more trad design and longer lasting.

https://youtu.be/4xRGzy869wg

Gear problems only effected early Sette models as far as I know.

Thanks, I think Ill go with the specialta, I looks like its the best value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I presume gears are still the same old or new.

Traditional design normally involved soft driving belt which connect motor to the burrs . If anything happens you only need to replace belt , not the gears itself

Just have to be careful so there are no stones mixed through the beans , that what destroys the gears .

I’ve caught stones 3 times : twice with Bel Lane , once with Bailies beans.

Stones!!! Wow I have never found stones in my coffee. BellLane are my main go-to coffee, I’ve been buying from them since they started and I never found stones.

how did you find them? I assume the grinder to would completely stop

It was small stones ,size of a bean , once it went between the burrs you'll hear some nasty cracking noise. Good chance to damage burrs or gears . If it is old classic design, there is soft driving belt which just worn out and protect the gears from breaking .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I had just about decided to buy a niche zero, their site is taking orders and it should be ready in March. I was struggling with the cost until I realised we now have to pay import duty ontop of the UK price. That definitely rules it out for me.

Are there any other similar single dose grinders out there?

Eureka ORO Mignon 65 mm flat burrs

DF64 ( Chinese design and made) 64 mm flat burrs

( same grinder for EU import G-IOTA)

it is very low from Niche charging UK VAT for the goods sending outside UK.

You have to pay UK VAT and Irish VAT at the end.

You can claim back the UK VAT after it's cleared in Ireland but you'll be overpaying on Irish VAT and customs as it would presumably be based on the UK VAT inclusive price...

I may get a cheap flight over and hide it I’m my luggage!

Advertisement