Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Availability of new bikes

Options
  • 17-08-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I currently have a CUBE road bike which I'm looking to replace.

I'm eyeing up a Merida Reacto 5000, the one below: https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/2021/reacto-5000

I'm in Cork and this particular bike seems to be out of stock everywhere. I'm just wondering is anybody else is finding similar supply chain issues with bikes they are looking at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

Yeah its the same everywhere. Been looking for a half decent entry-level bike around the €1500 mark for the past few months now with no joy whatsoever. Managed to get a very basic Merida Scultura 400 on pre-order thats supposed to come in the next couple of weeks, I'm not holding my breath on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I see the cube 2022 bikes have pictures but group sets blurred so seems you will have a long wait for any decent bike .

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

I ordered a Trek Emonda in January It has finally arrived in Ireland and my LBS are building it at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Groupsets are blurred for the top end Shimano equipped bikes as they'll be running the new 12 speed system which hasn't yet been released. Shimano aren't allowing bike manufacturers to display the groupset before they release it as far as I know.

That's fair enough I was told in a shop that they waiting to see what would be available but if its a new set up that properly explains it .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague was told that Wilier won't have shimano as an option on their 2022 bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I'm also on the look out for a new bike. When I walk in the door of my LBS, it's usually wall to wall Bianchi Celeste. There wasn't one last weekend. They had a couple in the black colour scheme.

I've been on the hunt since my birthday last year. Half heartedly looked around over the the last couple of months. I saw a Trek a couple of weeks ago with a Tiagra groupset going for 1750. Not that long ago you'd have got full 105 at that kind of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Same here. I'll be in the market for a new bike around Christmas but I wouldn't expect to be using it really until March/April when the weather should start to improve. I can't decide though if I should approach my lbs now about ordering one.

As a matter of interest - If I was to look to order one now what kind of amount, percentage wise, would I expect to pay as a deposit?

I've given up on my quest and just put a few quid into the old bike to keep me ticking over for now. In Cork too and looking for an XL frame and I'm finding nothing.

Not sure if it's true, but the mechanic at my local bike shop said there is a huge issue with supply of Shimano components.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A friend of mine had ordered a Celeste Bianchi. He was told to expect a 6+ month wait, but after about 4 months they called to just say the order was cancelled, no bike this year

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Yeah - on the Cube website in the detailed specs, its says this next to each of the affected components:

[This component is subject to an embargo until 31.08.21]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Shop local to me has a Reacto 6000 in stock. New bikes are extremely slow to come through & I wouldn’t be holding out much hope of getting one anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Managed to pick up a 2019 Cannondale synapse di2 in march 2020 tried to get a canyon but no joy seems canyon are the same this year. Did manage to pick up a 2nd hand full sus mtb last week though 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

I was contemplating a Canyon Grail in the new year on the cycle to work scheme, do they not have any bikes available?

Actually, anyone have any recommendations for other bikes at that sort of price point?

On the Shimano embargo thats really only going to affect Dura Ace stuff surely? Doubt we'll be seeing 12 speed Ultegra this year, these things normally take a few years to filter down.

As far as I recall supply of that end of the market was ok it was the manufacture of components outside of Japan on the lower end stuff that was the big problem, those factories suffered a couple more covid/lock down related closures this year.

About the cube bikes all the group sets were blurred out on the attain range the ones that usually have 105 so not that high end they were selling for around 1.500 last time

Nice looking bike alright good bike for the price I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Canyon bikes can become available but then sell out very quick - like within 24 hours.

If you know which bike you want you can sign up for email notifications from them for when the next batch of that bike is released and then pull the trigger straight away (if that suits). At least with Canyon you only pay on delivery which should probably give you another month to arrange the finance bits.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I was lucky last year. Got my defy advanced 2 2020 in may just before it went mental. Cyclesuperstore are good at getting bikes in. Read somewhere its going to be like this till 2023. There are a few decent bikes out there in the 2nd hand market though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we all know what happens if you choose the wrong grail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Cube seem even cheaper than Canyon at the moment but you really need to budget for a wheelset upgrade, whereas the DT Swiss 1850 series that come with a lot of the Canyons are a great entry level model. Particularly for gravel, the Cube Nuroad seems much better value than the Canyon Grail AL, but on last year's models the wheels were not tubeless compatible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in what sense?

(wheels are something I genuinely know very little about - the wheels on my road bike are the ones it came with, I've never even thought about changing them...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

The pr2s that come with giant defy advanced models and some of the cube attain wheels are problematic.

My pr2s gave me trouble from the factory as giant acknowledged there were a batch of models with overtightened rear hubs.

So cheap stock wheelsets on some models of bikes are rubbish. I know with some of the cube models there was a recall on some of the their wheels as they tyres were popping off while cycling.

I have invested in a set of carbons but im still waiting on a replacement rear wheel months now.

Advertisement