Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Antrim Coast Half Marathon 2021

• 30-03-2021 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Looking for a race in Ireland this is very likely to take place?

Well, the Antrim Coast Half Marathon on Sunday 29th August 2021, is probably a good candidate.

Website https://antrimcoasthalfmarathon.com/

They are really trying to build that race up with elites but should be a good popular choice too. The route is flat, it follows the superb Antrim coast. Without wind, this course is a record-breaker.

Hopefully, I'll be there in good shape.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'm signed up. Looked great on the tv coverage last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

See ye there. I'm in again, they made quite a few changes to the route for the race last year in anticipation of all the elites coming and smashing pb's. Unfortunately none of the masses got to run the new 'fast' route, so I'll see how it compares to previous years. They've taken about a half mile climb out of it, but also the recovery half mile descent back to the coast road is binned too, in lieu of more racing through the town.
    It's a pity as the hill was always a great motivator, just passing people who had obviously few hills in their training.
    I'll see what shape I'll be in for London in October once I've done this race.
    It's my birthday that day too so it will be a session afterwards with all our club members. Ohh something to look forward too at last.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Signed up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Me and the wife have signed up, can't wait to give these a proper run out

https://youtu.be/9FFMZdfizTU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I’ve just entered this.

Can’t see races happening in Republic this year unfortunately so I’m going to try a 1.29 at this!

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I’ve just entered this.

Can’t see races happening in Republic this year unfortunately so I’m going to try a 1.29 at this!

TbL

I'd love to sign up for this and have the same goal as you but I think my child might be starting school that Monday so wouldn't want to miss the excitement of that weekend.

Additionally I have the Berlin marathon (unlikely) on the 26th of September so might be too close.

Actually I will sign-up on the chance that it is the week before or after they start and I can't get to Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 richj

Hi Guys,

I currently training for my first half marathon, would this be a good choice for a first timer?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

richj wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I currently training for my first half marathon, would this be a good choice for a first timer?

Thanks in advance

They market themselves as an fast and flat course so you can't go too far wrong with it. Good luck with the training.

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

It will be about as flat as they come and usually a good spread of competitors from 1hr 15 to 2.30 if that's your ball park.
    It depends on the weather on the day, as it's fairly exposed to the sea you can often get a 3 mile headwind either on the way out or the return as they're both on the coast road. The scenery is first class though and well supported.

Cheers, might give it a shot so, at least it would be something to aim for at the moment

• Advertisement

I bit the bullet and signed up, see you all up there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I bit the bullet and signed up, see you all up there !!

Me too!
    Convinced some friends to do it too. Make a holiday out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I have also signed up for this, ran a half TT (during one of our many lockdowns) 1:34, hopefully can improve on this! Can't wait to run a real race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Me too!
    Convinced some friends to do it too. Make a holiday out of it!

A holiday & a race!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭sk8board

With Mo missing out tonight on Olympic quali, he might fancy doing this again this year.

Any idea what the race capacity is? I fancy driving up that morning, it’s about 2hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Entries closing very soon for this.

Just registered today.

registration closes tomorrow (Jul 31), capped at 2,000

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭racersedge

Signed up for this one myself. a three and a half hour trip for myself, but I've decided to take accommodation for the Saturday night to give myself the right prep. Looking forward to it and hope to improve on the PB I set in Kildare back in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dmmnnba

Signed up for this back in March, attracted by the advertised fast flat course. Only my third half marathon but surprised today when I saw on the course statistics page of their website that the elevation gain is 220m, significantly more than my previous efforts. Would this be regarded as a flat course? Or perhaps an error on the website? If not will have to take in a few more hills than planned over the next three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PTPaulAC

I'm not sure what method of measurement they're using to arrive at 220m because that's not flat in my books! (I saw the webpage you're talking about, too, and can't make sense of the 220m)

I Google Mapped the course and it is pretty flat (elevation is 131ft = 40mtrs). I also did the Larne AC 10k which follows the Half M route and can confirm it is quite flat (Strava elevation gain was just 17m for this 10k race, which would add up with Google Maps, too) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭racersedge

Anyone with experience from up that way know what parking is like around the area? Plentiful or hard to come by? Free, or do I need to find some coins and notes? Trying to do some forward planning in that regard as we are now down to three weeks to go.

I saw that huge figure too, so I manually recreated the route as a training course in garmin, and it measued 81m elev gain

My training courses usually run lower elevation in reality too, than they measure on course creator. That might just be my watch.

I signed up but an Achilles injury will prevent me from taking part. If anyone is interested in a number, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Dante

Any chance thats still available? Just dropped you a PM.

If Davestators number isn't available mine is. Achilles injury also has put me out. Drop me a PM if wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Dante

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mogrump

@AntrimGlens or @Thedevastator Either or you guys/girls have a spare entry for Belfast?

sry to hear about injuries btw

Not me didn't enter belfast but I'll ask around the club, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mogrump

Thanks @AntrimGlens, appreciated

• Advertisement

I have a number. Dante has first refusal but if they got sorted, you can have it.

Advertisement