Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

No the tax is reset once ownership changes

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

Hi, selling my car (will post the ad online after its valeted) I bought it during Covid as I needed it for work, but now circumstances changed and no need for it.

I've hardly used it, a couple if thousand KM if even that!

Bought for 10k

It just passed NCT and is in very good condition.

There is a minor scratch (not my doing) to quarter panel, tried to repair myself but doesn't look great tbh, should I mention this on the ad, along with a photo?

I want to be upfront and honest, im the 2nd owner, car was bought from a main dealer few months back.

Its a Dacia Sandero, 0.9l, 45,258km on the clock.

If its just a minor scratch I wouldn’t bother photographing it. Depending on the severity of the scratch I probably wouldn’t mention it in the add either. People will be coming to see the car so your not being dis honest by not mentioning it. And you’ll be taking 10 photos of the car anyway so it might show up in one or two of them.

I feel like you’ll be loosing a couple of grand either way if you bought the car from a main dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Looking for some advice on selling my car.

Long story short, I'm emigrating, leaving on July 11th and I need to sell my car.

I've never owned a car worth this much, and as a result, never sold one worth this much. Car in question is a 142 Lexus CT200h. It's a luxury model, so keyless entry, leather seats, some nice extras over s/advance models.

The question is, when do I list it? I'd really rather it was gone before I leave, but worst case scenario, my dad could sell it. I don't want to leave my family carless if it sells quickly, so it's not like I can just sell it next week either?

Regardless of when to list it, any other advice when sellling a car like this privately? Thanks in advance.

Is this still available>

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would send them a PM as they may not be watching this thread.

• Advertisement

Hi, selling my car (will post the ad online after its valeted) I bought it during Covid as I needed it for work, but now circumstances changed and no need for it.

I've hardly used it, a couple if thousand KM if even that!

Bought for 10k

It just passed NCT and is in very good condition.

There is a minor scratch (not my doing) to quarter panel, tried to repair myself but doesn't look great tbh, should I mention this on the ad, along with a photo?

I want to be upfront and honest, im the 2nd owner, car was bought from a main dealer few months back.

Its a Dacia Sandero, 0.9l, 45,258km on the clock.

Any link to the ad? If it's enough to notice I'd photograph the damage. Otherwise your going to annoy people who think the car is pristine and there's damage on it they'll walk away.

What I will say is that car is going to be a very hard sell privately and I don't think you'll move it quickly.

Go onto ZuCar and see what they offer you and maybe see if the garage you bought it from wants to take it off you at a trade price.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

Any link to the ad? If it's enough to notice I'd photograph the damage. Otherwise your going to annoy people who think the car is pristine and there's damage on it they'll walk away.

What I will say is that car is going to be a very hard sell privately and I don't think you'll move it quickly.

Go onto ZuCar and see what they offer you and maybe see if the garage you bought it from wants to take it off you at a trade price.

Hi thanks for reply, i didn't creqre the ad yet, just passed NCT till July 2023, I will get the car valet before sale, but its in excellent condition anyway.

Ill sell it as is, ill mentioned the scrape if buyer arrives, its not a game changer, purely wear and tear.

Ill try Zu Car and garage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Sold my car. The guy gave me a deposit and we've agreed to meet this day next week at the bank to exhange money for the vehicle itself. What's the best way for me to do this? For reference, the car sold for approx 12k. Maybe enter the bank with him as he does a transfer to my account? As previously mentioned, I've never sold a car worth this much. Last card I sold to someone was for less than 2 grand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sold my car. The guy gave me a deposit and we've agreed to meet this day next week at the bank to exhange money for the vehicle itself. What's the best way for me to do this? For reference, the car sold for approx 12k. Maybe enter the bank with him as he does a transfer to my account? As previously mentioned, I've never sold a car worth this much. Last card I sold to someone was for less than 2 grand :pac:

Give him your account number and ask to depose the money. Don't touch the cash, let the bank handle it. That's what they are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RE: my query above

are you 100% can anyone else verify this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it resets at date ownership changed. One thing to be aware of is if the liability begins from 1st of month that ownership changed so for example if ownership changed on 31st July the new owner would be liable for all of July despite only owning it for a day of that month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 morrispetez

Thanks for all of the infos. I have to agree with everything that was posted. This thread will really be helpful to those who doesn't have enough knowledge and looking for tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Listed my ad on http://www.adverts.ie/24583364

Would you recommend Donedeal would give me better chances? I know I need to add more pictures of inside based on OP guide, but if you see anything wrong, don't hesitate to let me know, thanks!

Also is it desirable to mandate Revolut payment only as I only have N26/Revolut accounts, no brick and mortar bank buyer could go to to make a instant deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes you will have a better chance with DD,

but be prepared for the onslaught of timewasters & weirdo's out there who will undoubtedly chance their arm

Taking photos of your car outside a crash repair garage isn’t a good look. Also give it a wash. L stickers and roof rails need to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

You need to add more photos- the boot, front and back seats, the front dash etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Privately selling our (09 Zafira) as we have sourced a new car.

Have read the fantastically useful stickie and I’m preparing myself for what’s to come.

one question re allowing people to test drive the car and the need to see proof of insurance - what exactly does that mean? What document would be sufficient here?

thanks v much.

M

If you ask them to bring their certificate of insurance it will show if they are covered to drive other cars. Just as a heads up in cases where they have this it's normally only third party so whatever they were to damage in your car would be covered but your car wouldn't be.

So - I’ve an offer from an Indy garage in south Dublin. They’ve 57 cars for sale on donedeal and have a website and solo check says they’re in business since 2015.

They’re willing to pay cash today pending inspection. Less money than I’d asked for but the number of loopers calling and texting is tiring me out and the thought of a quick sale appeals. And it’s considerably more than Zu cars or auto cars offered.

But one thing - yer man said they’d take the reg cert and handle the admin (rather than me sending it off to Clare myself). I mentioned the RF105 form and he said they’d do that online.

Any advice here?

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF105_en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A legit motor trader will be able to do the change of ownership online these days. You don't send anything to Shannon when selling or trading a car to a dealer. Just make sure this guy has an official premises and not operating from a Aldi carpark or filling station forecourt, also get a proper letter headed receipt from him.

Ok thanks.

He’s got a premises in greenogue business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Choppa32

Hi All - Looking for a bit of advice. Have just sold my 2006 Avensis Liftback and it looks like the buyer has given a false address on the logbook. I only noticed this when I went to check it online after he was gone. I could still send the logbook off to Shannon but not sure what position that leaves me in if it's not a valid address (it doesn't show up in Google maps). Thanks

M

Send it to the address he provided, not your problem.

It will be their problem if the owner at that address rejects it and sends the logbook back to Shannon. Shannon may then restore the OP as the current registered keeper.

Rang Citizens information and also a garda friend earlier, both confirmed I'm under no obligation to validate a buyers address.

While that might be true, what happens after you send the change of ownership off to Shannon and they send the new logbook to a fake address? It more than likely will get returned to Shannon. What do they do with it then? While you are under no obligation to validate the buyer's address, it's in your best interest to know the car is no longer registered to you once sold.

I don’t think they will re register the car to the OP once the car is out of their name.

OP how do you know its a fake address? Loads of address’ don’t show up on Google, particularly outside of Dublin

Messaged the buyer to confirm the eircode since he didn't write it on the log book and called him the next day when I didn't get a response. He immediately hung up when I said who I was. The provided address is in Dublin 15 and can see the housing estate mentioned, just the stated road doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Have a car that I'll be listing for sale next week. Been years since I sold. Is carzone still the best place to list or would people use donedeal or even both? Car value is in around 20-23k if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Advertisement