Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ever had a car stolen

Options
  • 09-08-2021 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Have you ever had a car stolen from you. Years ago someone tried to rob my toyota Levin bzr - it was a fresh import and i had it a week. Car wasn't alarmed, they broke my safety lock and the steering wheel also broke but the mounting plate stayed in place. They took my drvers licence + steering wheel and then someone knocked into my house the next day looking for a finders reward for my licence . I got the car alarmed later that week - lucky they didn't get the car but the thought of someone in the car trying to rob it was horrible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My parents car was robbed back in '89. My Da was tipped off by one of the young lads that his friends were planning to rob it that night. He disconnected the battery. So we woke up next morning with the car down the street they had pushed it down and couldn't get it going to joyride, luckily they never burnt it out. As that group did burn many cars in the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

No but I found my car smashed up in Jan 2019 with a poop on the windscreen and wet seats in Galway City.

It would have been better if they stole it. I only had it for 3.5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Someone smashed up you car and shít on the windscreen. 😂 Animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I had a Honda Accord nicked from outside my house in the early 90's. Reported to AGS not expecting much, few days later get a call they have it!

Luckily just needed an ignition barrel IIRC.

While checking it out in the station carpark, I opened the glove box, there was 3 or 4 purses in it, they must have been mugging some poor ladies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Parents car was stolen with keys from a burglary in 2015. Recovered months later fully intact, by which time it had already been replaced by the insurer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, but i know a few people who thought they'd had their cars stolen. one was an ex-colleague whose car was lifted and taken to the pound (she'd parked too close to a pedestrian crossing somewhere around camden street) but the pound booked her car in with the wrong reg. IIRC, several weeks after she got the cheque from the insurance company, the pound contacted her asking her when she was going to collect her car.

another was a chap whose car was stolen from the forecourt of a filling station. about an hour after the gardai had been and gone, it was found a few hundred metres away; he'd forgotten to engage the handbrake, and it had rolled out of the forecourt, across a road, and into an industrial estate opposite - somehow managing not to hit anyone or anything - and bumped up against a kerb and just looked like it'd been badly parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Folks had a car robbed in 80s. Few days later Garda call to say they've found the car and call down to Cabra Garda station.

Aul lad walks out the back and Garda say '"here it is"...in hundreds of pieces. Da even got pic of it all and him standing holding the door

90s also. Opel Corsa. Even though it was my first car, I hated it. Nicked from the driveway and ran out of petrol. They nicked the radio as they ran away, and when they realised what a heap of junk it was, hopped it off the road. I was honestly sorry to get the call that the car had been found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I had an old Suzuki Vitara that was robbed from outside where I was living in Limerick. A neighbour knocked in very calmly to say that "someone who was not me was currently trying to start my car outside". It was gone at that stage - rang the Garda Station and they called back about 20 minutes later to say they'd found it down in South Hill (a km or 2 down the road) crashed into a street light and then a cinder block thrown through the window.

I had 500 quid in the glove compartment in an oil filter box that was still there - I'd say they don't see many people collecting their stolen crashed cars with a big smile on their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

1976. My pride and joy was a 71 Cortina Mk3. Was attending night classes in North Strand Tech. Parked outside at 6:55 for 7pm class. Sat down in the class, and just as the class started, porter walks in "who owns the red cortina? Two gurriers just took off in it".

Got it back in Firzgibbon St about 2 hours later. Not a scratch on it. Kids were under 12, the 'driver' needed to use my two fancy cushions to see over the wheel. Garda said "they have them down in store Street if you want to go down and give them a box!" haha, imagine...

1991, my 1990 Opel Kadette was stolen from the garden. They rallied it on the under construction extension that links the M50 to Malahide Road. No serious damage, steering lock and paintwork that appeared to have been driven through loads of hedges. 2 tyres run off the rims. Insurance covered the lot. Here's an important note. I took the wife's car and brought my 6 year old son with me, told him to keep an eye out for the car. I was stopped by the cops in Darndale, who (rightly) bollocked me out of it, saying that if the scrotes spotted me, they'd likely ram us with my stolen car. I would never have considered such a thing as a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Irs amazing how many threads end with a post from me.

May have to add a sig...

"Nickleby, Killer of Threads"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Someone on my road trying cars in the middle of the night last weekend - that's what made me start the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bought a nice 940 as a bangernomics car about 10 years ago for €450, then bought a replacement rear seatbelt in breakers for €30. Parked it across the street, stolen the next night...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The other half's 95 Mazda 323 was stolen 1 night in Dublin about 10 years ago. It was a banger but lovely to drive. Rang Guards, did a report up. Got a phone call a day later to say they found it abandoned up near Kinsealy. Got car back pretty much untouched thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

An attempt was made on my 98 prelude type s the feckers broke in through the small back window and ended up pulling the steering wheel clean off not much good for them or me at the time!

Few years later some animals broke into my house and stole the keys and stole my mk5 golf gti!

They went on a lovely crime spree all over Limerick and Cork carrying out a number of burglaries before torching it!

Its the worst feeling in the world to get up for work in the morning to find your house has been interfered with and your pride and joy is no longer on the drive!

I still to this day pray they will meet their Fiery end in a massive car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Parents 1982' green Golf was stolen in 1991' from the driveway, a yellow 1980' golf that looked like it was rallied was left behind parked on the road beside the house. They left it there and took ours. Strange situation. Parents got the green golf back with some light damage. Garda said it was youths, they legged it away when they were confronted putting petrol in it the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Not stolen but had my plates cloned before. I made a rookie mistake of advertising a car I had for sale online without covering the plates. A few weeks later the Garda knocked my door and questioned me about several burglaries. I told them that I hadn't driven the car since it was advertised, they had pics of the same car colour etc with my plates driving through the tolls and on CCTV. I had to go to my local station and prove it wasn't me and report my plates cloned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yup, Drove home from the hospital after first was born to get a few hours kip to pick up mother and daughter the next day.

Woke up the following morning car gone along with iso fix base and seat. That was a fun day running around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Yep. Had my 93 mazda stolen/broken into 5 times over the years

Advertisement