Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C.E. Scheme - can you be penalised for not taking up a job offer?

• 15-08-2021 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Are C.E. scheme participants treated the same as other social welfare recipients e.g. JSA, JSB, etc. when it comes to looking for full time paid employment?

Do C.E. scheme participants face penalties for not taking up an offer of full time paid employment?

Hypothetical question.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Typically if doing a CE scheme you will not be engaging with Intreo/Social welfare dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭I am me123

Would a C.E. participant be penalised for not accepting a job offer of full time paid employment ( if offered this while on a C.E. scheme contract) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Citizens Advice: "If you have the opportunity of full-time work, you can take one period of temporary unpaid leave with your sponsor’s agreement for up to 26 weeks. If the work opportunity continues beyond 26 weeks, you must leave the CE scheme."

This infers there may be some flex on not taking jobs although it is not stated that way directly. I assume if you are working toward a qualification, leaving mid scheme is not always in your best interest in the longer term... In any case, how will they know you don't take an offer of full time employment if you don't tell them, unless you live somewhere small/very interconnected local community etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not by welfare.

You would be penalised in that you would continue to only get the dole plus travel allowance, vs a full time wage. Surely its a no-brainer to take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And if and when you finish your scheme if you don't have secure employment it's back to jobseekers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭I am me123

Basically if your hypothetical job offer contract is a short term temporary contract - you can take up this position and return to C.E. after the contract ends.

But

If the hypothetical job contract is a long term full time job, you must leave the C.E. scheme altogether and take up this employment.

Would this be right?

No. You take a break from the CE Scheme. If the new job works out, you leave the CE Scheme after 6 months. If the job ends or doesn’t work out for some reason, then you’re back on the CE Scheme. Don’t overthink it. Give the job a go. You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good Luck.

Advertisement