Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is causing the labour shortages at the moment?

• 15-08-2021 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭

The answer is not the PUP payment which is being phased out anyway.

Was in a hotel and not in Dublin the staff has an average age of 15 and there still wasn't enough of them, it is the same situation with nurses, doctors, constructions workers, care workers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A substantial number of people have gone home (or to other countries where there were shorter lockdowns possibly) in the past 18 months - service industry jobs that were filled by skilled/experienced Eastern Europeans are now being filled by 18 year olds who aren't skilled/experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Plenty of foreign construction workers moved on to a country that had a bit of cop on and didn't shut down the sites as they were such a low risk environment. Virtually all of them will have continued claiming PUP and are still on it, so are effectively banned from the state unless they fancy reimbursing 10,000 odd grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

What country did they move to? Also, if they overclaimed PUP, it will be ducted from their pay in another European country, that is how it was explained to me.

Will it ****. The German, French etc tax system couldn't give a shyte about recouping Irish money. Too hard to prove, Pavel the plasterer can simply claim somebody signed up on his behalf when he moved to Denmark and withdrew cash from an Irish bank account he thought was dormant. Too much hassle to investigate that unless he was still residing here.

As for the UK, even less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Its not so much staff shortages more caution re hiring or just hiring. Firstly lots of people have left Ireland for their home countries and probably unlikely to return. There's also a reluctance to re hire full compliments of staff in certain sectors due partly because business levels are still low but also serious uncertainty. Its not so much a staff shortage, businesses, particularly hospitality strategically operating with less staff and limiting service's.

It's not often mentioned but an enormous amount of businesses are still having 75% of their payroll paid through government wage subsidy schemes, I wouldn't be surprised if unemployment will rise the minute this scheme ends.

In addition, whilst most sectors have reopened (some have actually not) , there's enormous debt still hanging over alot of small and medium sized businesses, primarily serious rent debt and warehoused Bank /revenue debt, this is having a direct impact on re hiring or just hiring.

I actually don't believe we've actually experienced the economic impact of the Pandemic yet, but its coming very soon and it won't be pretty.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Hotels outside Dublin are booming with staycations and its well know that there is a serious staff shortage in construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's disgraceful having kids with an average age of 15 doing that kind of manual work.

They're far better suited to making iphones from ages 12-16

There Certainly doing OK, I wouldn't say booming and most operating on with skelton and inexperienced staff, lots of reports of poor service, limited facilities etc (not blaming the inexperienced staff who've been thrown in at the deep end). The Irish hospitality sector, can not and won't survive on the staycation market, and most accepted the 2021 was long lost and basically ticking over in the hope international travel will fully return in 2022.

The forgien/EU workers were leaving in droves well before covid.....it wasnt worth there while staying here with rate of pay & cost of rent/living

Hard to blame em really

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

It's not just the foreign construction workers that left, plenty of the Irish left for the UK and will be in no hurry back either.

The money in construction has gone through the roof in the last year or two.

• Advertisement

This is nothing new I'm afraid, I know the industry well, normally however younger staff would compliment more experienced staff during peak and seasonal business, what's actually happening now is young staff essentially being thrown in at the deep end with no training or support.

I know many experienced staff let go at the start of the Pandemic, have applied for various positions and most not even getting responses, the reason is quite simple a lot of hospitality businesses (not all) are trying to keep payroll costs at a minimum, test the waters etc, perhaps chancing their arms, as there is still enormous uncertainty for the immediate future.

You really do wonder how it is viable for someone to come here and work in McDonald's. I may be wrong but I think the days of Poles and Lithuanians doing it are long past, the difference in wages here and home probably wouldn't justify it.

I do even wonder how the likes of bin companies get staff. I think bin men get around the 12 to 13 mark, a site labourer would be on 18 and the work would not be entirely disimilar to being a bin man, so you would wonder why anybody would bother doing it for 6 quid an hour less.

Getting your route done early and getting paid for the full day is the only advantage that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I was only making a reference to child labour and cheap electronic devices people use!

It's no harm for teenagers to have a part time job in a hotel or wherever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Its allot of reasons but one I can speak on from personal experience of being highly educated with significant experience and struggling to find work is that employers for some reason or another are extremely picky as to who they take on and often it comes down to how well someone does in an interview over how well they can actually do the job.

As for service roles, all require a minimum of 2 years experience working in a similar role, it used to be the case that employers would train in new staff and support them as they learn the ropes, they dont want to do this anymore and will only employ inexperienced staff who the employer knows personally or is connected to in some way.

Employers have silly expectations of applicants and this results in unemployment and labor shortages across all sectors.

Nepotism should be banned, employers should have to give each job applicant constructive and informative feedback outlining the job criteria and why they didnt get the job, service jobs should be banned from expecting 2+ years experience from applicants and should be supported in training in new staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Wage inflation prominant in the states, many have reskilled, moved location or gone into black economy it will be transitory.

Normalization will take 2/3 years.

I agree however, my point is they are not working part time, in many incidents working long hours, no training and expected in essence to carry out functions of experienced and qualified staff due to serious staff shortages.

I fully agree and support any teenager working part time in any business, I did it myself, my point being, there's potential exploitation going on and this I don't agree with.

Its not anymore imo....unless younger and wanting to travel/backpack....work/party.for a few months and travel on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

Talking to a lad in horticulture recently, he'd lost 3 Eastern European lads who were with him the last few years. They were claiming the pup while working away for over a year before revenue twigged them. The boys didn't fancy paying back 20 grand each n went off to Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

As someone with around 200 applications, with about 5 interviews and holding a level 6 while at 95% of a level 7 degree, I have to agree. Most do not even reply. It is disheartening to read these headlines when you know they are mainly bollix.

The teens working is great but they needed better supervision.

• Advertisement

Local authority bin collectors earn over €600 pw albeit not many still running these services, private contractors pay between €14 & €16 ph with drivers earning more but I get your point about other roles.

The home care sector featured prominently last week with the industry representative claiming serious shortages despite excellent wages and seeking permission to bring in non EU applications.

At the same time a number of carer's interviewed on a number of radio programs stating pay and conditions utterly appalling, conditions shocking and in one example despite covering clients in a 40 Mile radius go absolutely no fuel allowance, she reckoned in some situations she was earning the equivalent to €8 pH go figure 🙄, needless to say the industry rep hasn't been heard from since.

Are you really saying you can't get a job of any kind hospitality, retail, anything? I am amazed.

And this is the issue, a lot of reporting on staff shortages and yet few good applicants even getting a response or acknowledgement of an application.

Completely agree but there is no one to supervise or support.

Are your qualifications in hospitality, construction, or care work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Genuinely applied to hundreds of service & retail jobs from the year I left school to the year I started my postgrad 3 years ago and never got any job. I had my cv checked by employment advisors and went for interview training (not that I ever got an interview)

My brother is a few years younger and is in the same boat as I was, he's a student and cant even get his foot in somewhere packing shelves or collecting glasses in a pub.

Nearly all of his friends who are working got in somewhere because a relative or family friend knew a manager.

I left the hospitality industry 7 years ago, worked in it for almost 30 years and at very senior level. I've many many friends who remained in it, very experienced, a lot were let go at the start of the Pandemic. All have neither been called back, invited to apply and I can for a fact say, their employers are scraping the barrel hiring less experienced staff (some with zero experience), I have to surmise its down to wage costs. I get no satisfaction in saying this but it is sadly true.

Also worth pointing out, the Hospitality sector with some rare exceptions let staff go rather than avail of wage subsidy schemes allowing them retain experienced staff, in essence employers dropped staff like bad habits, alot of these staff have left or gone into something new, then we had representative bodies crying and whinging about staff shortages, I'm afraid it's a bit like the boy who cried wolf.

Have you never ever had a job your dong a post-grad maybe its something to do with where you live all my nieces and nephews have jobs and never has any contacts helping them but its a busy area with lots of tourism and hotels, restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Another problem nowadays is everyone now goes to college instead of doing an apprenticeship, I think a lot of it is just a case of keeping up with the Jones.

Look at the money a Plumber or Electrician can make in a day plus a job for life no matter what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I even applied to multiple ads for Rosie and Jims chicken products in dublin, screaming for staff. Twice or possibly three times, not even a reply. I cannot work in retail, for personal reasons. Been there before, at the top. Looking at dumbing down my CV now.

Advertisement