Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

problem with generator

• 14-08-2021 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I bought a SIP Medusa T951 750w 2-Stroke Petrol Generator 2 years ago. It worked well for the first 5 or 6 times. After that it became more difficult to start and eventually it would not start at all. Put it back in the shed and forgot about it until about 2 months ago. I tried to start it again with clean fuel and new plug but to no avail. The plug does spark. I came to the conclusion it was the carburetor so I bought a new one, installed it and the engine started, but after two uses it became more difficult to start and eventually it would not start at all. I tried spraying carburetor cleaner into the carburetor and it would start but only for a few seconds. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Comments

Did you try dismantle the carb and clean throughly

Check your fuel lines,if they have become hard/ridgid,it wont ever run,as they 'pulse' a small bit on 2strokes when running

First empthy fuel tank and try fresh mix

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭nokiatom

Fuel line is fine and flexible and good flow of petrol coming from it. When I got the new carburetor the tank was emptied and filled with fresh fuel, it did start but the following day it took ages to start it and on the third day it would not start at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What fuel mix are you using? Oil petrol ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Shoog

Had a similar thing happen after some numpty left the generator out in the rain. This let water get into the fuel tank which caused bad start in itself, but even when all the water was gone it still wouldn't start. Seems that the water had scrubed the petrol tank of dirt on it way down carrying particles into the carb blocking the nozzles. Took side off the carb and blew it out with air and it has worked perfectly ever since. Also discovered that the generator runs much better if it is perfectly level.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Drop the carburettor bowl, not unusual for condensation, paint, rust, dirt to end up in the carb bowl.

Or the needle can get stuck in the seat, check that the float is moving freely.

Worth fitting an inline filter and tap.

You turn off the tap and leave it running for a while to drops the level in the carb this drops the needle out of the seat

Funniest one I ever came across .. My friends big sdmo genny wouldn't start I dismantled the carb and there was a varnish like substance in it.

Inverted the tank and out came about 50 dead earwigs, god knows what attracted them or how they got through the vent in the cap

• Advertisement

it was never out in the rain and when stored inside it was put into a big plastic bag. (it still looks like new). It started fine with new carburettor but on the third day it would not start at all...very weird

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

40 to 1 is too strong.. 50 to 1 came to mind automatically and its what we use in most of our gear but to clarify I have checked the SIP site and on the 951 pdf download it states 50:1

While I don't necessarily think it's the cause of your problem it can inhibit performance, usually too much smoke and loss of power.. but not necessarily hard to start..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

With respect, those 750w 2 stroke generators are fairly crap products, I had one and it only lasted a couple of years. One of the issues, which I did not know at the time, is that the fluctuation power they can produce at times can fry sensitive electronics, like the charging and control systems fitted to modern campers and other stuff.

Buy a proper 4 stroke inverter generator like this https://www.craigmoreonline.ie/sip-25118-isg1000-digital-inverter-generator?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkbuKBhDRARIsAALysV5pjJIQILaj_TDI6-niregjC30pE0Idl6CTF2pS8lTrgNz94u0fJ5UaAjMrEALw_wcB

Advertisement