Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dog damaged neighbours car

• 15-08-2021 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Hi my sisters dog damaged my neighbours car one night. It scratched the bonnet and one of the side panels. It broke the grille on the bumper. The neighbour has cctv which shows the dog at the house but doesn't show clear footage of it damaging the car. She spoke to the owner who showed the footage. She told them to get a cost for the repair. She was shocked to get a quote of 3k for fixing the broken parts and respraying the bonnet, two side panels, bumper, driver and passenger door.

They said they would take 1300 in cash to repair it. Clearly the neighbour is taking the piss. What should she do from here. Thanks

Post edited by DBB on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I'd like actual proof that the dog did the damage. Of course if it is responsible, then pay up and keep dog under control.

Post edited by wildwillow on

Keep her dog on her own property from now on. Apart from that given you said that it did damage the car either pay or go the legal route with more costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

If her dog done it then pay up.

1300 for a bonnet respray and repairs is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

If there is proof that her dog damaged the car then she needs to pay up. I don’t see what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

But the issue is that the neighbour is getting extra work done that wasnt damaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Or pocketing a load of money.

@op, best go to legal forums, or motors to try and get a rough estimate. This is not the correct forum, and not very helpful.

You said that your sisters dog damaged the car in your first post.

Now if you know that they did damage your neighbours car , and again going by your first post that is the case, either pay up for the damage they caused or go the legal route to argue that they only did some of the damage and you want to pay for that only. But you are going to have to provide evidence that your neighbours car was already damaged before your sisters dog did its damage and they are looking to get more money out of the incident than your sister is liable for.

Your sisters dog damaged the car.

if the dog was under control the damage would not have been done.

your sister is therefore responsible for the cost of repairs.

she should.pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,085 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Motors will give you a good idea of the real cost of the repairs. A lot depends on the make, model, year etc. of the car. The neighbour will want the car put back in the condition it was in before the damage was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cheap enough for that amount of damage. Pay up and keep the dog in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

A tough lesson but you need to have your animals under control it could have been a human that was damaged after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

How did they break the grille?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thread moved to Motors forum, seems a more apt spot for this discussion. The relevant charter now applies.

Thanks,

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Get the neighbour to provide 3 written quotes, one of which should be from somewhere you recommend, then get neighbour to decide which they want to take. Main dealer, independent repairer and dog owners recommendation would give fairest mix.

If there’s no evidence the dog damaged the car then tell them to go whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was sitting in my car one time with my dog and another person came along and their dog and it went up on the back paws and started scratching the **** out of my door. Dog owner didn't even do anything. I should have followed up on it as I done nothing but it was a bit annoying what the dog done and the owner just kept walking along until the dog stopped and ran after the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why should the person who’s car was damaged by the dog (assuming that’s the case) have to go through all of that.

The OP’s friend shouldn’t have any say in this.

God forbid they go with the quote the OPs’ friend suggests and something ends up going wrong with that then.

Without doing that, the owner of the car could set any price and say that's how much it will cost, which is pretty much what the op is questioning. Also, I believe that is the correct way (legally) to do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yes of course it’s up to the person who’s car was damaged to give a quote.

If the OP’s friend doesn’t agree to the quote then they go legal, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what purpose does that serve. the car owner gets to choose whicj quote either way.

say the car owner gets a quote from a very well respected crash repair place that specalises in high end cars(sounds like a bmw, audi level of car)and a quote from the local garage that fixs local cars.

local garage 1000 euro and proper job is 3000 euro

if the dog owner gets a quote from a hack (or even just a cheap place) for 500

it doesnt matter about the 1000 or 500 quotes if the car owner wants the 3000 quote company to do the work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

You say

The neighbour has cctv which shows the dog at the house but doesn't show clear footage of it damaging the car. 

It kinda depends on what it does show, does it show dog at car but not actually damaging does it jump at car?

It would be strange for a dog to just randomly scratch and chew at a car so I would be looking for clear enough evidence

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How big is the dog? Broke a grill?

Exactly that. Everyone is getting way ahead of themselves with prices and fixes, and the first thing that needs to be determined and proven is that the dog did indeed damage the car.

Anything could have happened it and the owners have just seen an opportunity with the dog being in the general area at the time.

They’ve went with the old tactic of causing panic with a price but then coming with a lower one for cash which should raise alarm bells about them instantly. She should stand her ground until presented with proof.

The op stated in the opening post that their sister's dog did damage the car.

Their argument is that they believe that the neighbours are trying to have existing damage repaired along with the damage that their sister's dog did. If they know that their sister's dog did X amount of damage as they stated they should pay for that damage to be repaired. They can get a different quote but the job would have to be to a level acceptable to the neighbour.

If they want to now state that what they said about the dog damaging the car was not the case, as in they are now saying that the dog didn't do any damage, that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How does your sister know what damage was done by the dog and what was not? Was she a witness to the incident? Were there any other witnesses?

What my understanding was, was that there was no quote on paper. Just the neighbours word, and the OP thought that was way out. IDK/C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'd be checking the footage and looking at the scratches.

Easy to see if they are dog paw scratches.

Was there a reason the dog took a liking to the neighbour's car? - Cat on the roof?, remnants of dead bird on the grille?

And is the dog a larger breed or some small toy breed? - If a larger breed, it really should have been under full control

and finally, how did the dog get into the neighbours garden in the 1st place - did it escape or was it allowed out?

€3k is about right for the work. I suspect they are looking at the lower amount as some of the scratches are probably minor and possibly the car is a few years old and they may not get the scratches done and instead see the payment as compensation for the lower value that is now on the car. I think €1300 is quite a good offer - but I'd chance my arm and suggest €1,000 which would be an excellent outcome

If it’s easy and they’re not dog paw scratches then the rest of the post is irrelevant anyway. I’d be offering them nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭kirving

The first three lines of the OP's post very clearly accept that the dog did the damage. It appears their sister accepted it too, as she has asked for a quote.

It's fairly clear that everyone has accepted that the dog was out of control, in which case it shouldn't be up to the third party to have to prove beyond all doubt with CCTV that the dog did the damage. But teeth marks on the grille and claw marks on paint are obvious enough.

Of the €3000, the first 500 may well be insurance excess, and after that the 1300 is the off the books price, and the car owner looks to be doing a favour and taking a risk at that.

I'd be going nowhere but a main dealer, taking their courtesy car and enjoying their coffee at the expense of the dog owners insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Obviously if they are not dog scratches and video not clear, no payment is offered. But it seems it is accepted that it is the dog and in that case, the owner is fully responsible.

Dogs will scratch with 3 or more paw nails.

Advertisement