Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasons To Be Cheerful

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I know, it's frightening how quickly time is going! I'm not back to work until the day after the kids go back to school so this is literally my last working day of the summer holidays! How quickly the last 8 weeks have gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Our kids are back in school Thursday 26th August, they were distraught when we told them yesterday they only had 2 weeks of their holidays left...secretly I cant wait as I always see it as the start of the christmas build up when they go back 🤫

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Our's aren't back till the 1st so little less then 3 weeks to go. They are back in afternoon school since start of this month so easing them back into it. Middle Elf is starting Junior Infants so big change for them however they'll have their big sibling to keep an eye on them :)

Post edited by TRS30 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

The 26th is very early, DvB! I'm looking forward to them going back but I know I'll also miss having my lunch breaks with them. It'll make me appreciate my parental leave days more!

To be fair to the school they always tend to go back the last week in August (though last year was Sept 1st), there is an extra few days off in June this coming year but the school calendar is still just the standard 183 days so they're not doing anything extra.

That first day back is always a half day, suspect the Friday will be a short day too. Suspect I'll miss having them around myself on the days I'll be WFH, like yourself I enjoyed going down & having lunch with them.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

My littlest is back on the 26th too. The teens aren't back until the 1st and 3rd. Will be back to organising lunch boxes and uniform (only the 1 these days thankfully) and school drop before work.

Christmas has just come early for us. Dogs Trust just rang me to say I can pick up a 12 week old collie puppy next weekend!!! I'm so excited. One of the kids isn't here so will wait until he's home to tell them. They've been asking for a dog for years.

They do Christmas stuff for dogs, don't they. Will have to get him a stocking too 😁🎅

Con'grat tscul32 on the new arrival to the house :)

Just about turn laptop off and get out for some fresh air. Have a great weekend folks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aaaaaaah, congratulations! 🐶 Will need photos. 😁

YES, lots of places do dog stockings and decorations. Penneys do festive pet accessories, and Brown Thomas do lovely Christmas stockings and doggie baubles. 🙂

• Advertisement

Awh puppy!! My local pet shop stocks Pawsecco at Christmas, always amuses me whenever I see it. I usually try and get venison flavoured treats for my lady, and she has a reindeer plushie that will be taken out of storage in December 😄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah that’s amazing news. I’m thrilled for ye. Getting a dog is the best thing ever.

Getting a second one however wasn’t the best idea 😬😬

They sent me some photos

Was going to ring dogs trust on Monday but since there are plenty of dog owners here - what's the best for travelling in the car. It's only a 10 minute drive home when we collect him but what's the safest/best option? A crate, sitting on my lap?

As you can probably guess, we're complete newbies. We'll learn as we go along but want to get this first thing right.

Thanks for any advice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This is how we brought home our last little fella. On my lap. Blanket underneath and a puppy pad under the blankey.

Also your new puppy is GORGEOUS. I love collies. They’re so sweet.

A Goldie!!! He's (or she) gorgeous loughc. My family show goldies so they're a popular woofer in our part of the world. Fabliss.

Tscul, that puppy is adorable. Best of luck with him.

Thanks LoughC. That's what I was thinking of doing, just wanted to be sure it was ok (and your doggie is soo gorgeous).The kids have had stupid grins since we told them. Although I think the OH is even more excited. He's been watching collie videos all evening.

Can't resist the super cute puppies! I have a soft spot for collies, grew up with them on the farm, and goldies are just adorable. Best of luck, hope he/she settles in well with ye!

Blanket and towel on the lap is how I brought my lady home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Finally found my way back to the Christmas forum and added it to my categories. It’s been a challenging year so it’s nice to be back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Congratulations on the new puppy tscul, he is adorable. Brilliant picture of him.

Might try and convince the wife to take a drive down that road to Dogstrust myself but we will head accross the road to the M50 Christmas shop. Want to get a decoration to put on the wall on the front of the house and a slim light up tree to put in the hall instead of a lamp.

• Advertisement

I brought my dog home on a blanket, but she was belted in- I got a car harness on the day I adopted her because it's dangerous not having them strapped in, especially if they decide they want to explore the car or try and escape. 😂

You can get ones like the below, and you can attach a lead to it too. They are invaluable for days out in the car! 😊

Don’t know a lot about dogs so not much help on that front however they are super cute. Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Cute puppies alert 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

we have a little clip in harness and it attaches to his harness and clips into the seatbelt 👍

keep the photos coming 🥰🥰

It's getting closer....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I can feel it starting to creep in as well.

It's getting very close to the wife saying for me to put the heating on in the evening for an hour or two just to take the chill out of the house 😊

I had my first hot chocolate of the autumn/winter season this evening. 😁

Wore a fleece around the house yesterday, a light one mind however has been solid t-shirt and shorts only for the last few months.

My Mrs. even said last night randomly as we were watching TV that she could feel the Christmas build up starting, that it just felt like Christmas was in the air for the first time this year... that's not like her at all so there's obviously a growing feeling that things are starting.

Giggidy!!!

• Advertisement

Christmas vibes must be radiating off you 😂

Advertisement