Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather app forecasts very poor over the last while?

• 23-06-2021 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed their weather app forecasts have been very inaccurate for the last few months?

I've always just used Google weather, which relies on weather.com...where they get their data from I'm not sure....but until recently I've always found it to be very accurate over the next 24 hours.

But over the last month or two, I've found it to be terrible. Like last Friday it forecast a dull rainy Saturday in Dublin, and it turned out to be a lovely day.

My Dad uses an IOS app that relies on the Norwegian Meteorological Institute, and claims to have noticed the same issue.

I haven't investigated further (by monitoring Met Éireann's forecasts for example), because I don't care that much.

But has anyone else noticed this? Am I imagining things? Or has something changed somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Evil_g wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed their weather app forecasts have been very inaccurate for the last few months?

I've always just used Google weather, which relies on weather.com...where they get their data from I'm not sure....but until recently I've always found it to be very accurate over the next 24 hours.

But over the last month or two, I've found it to be terrible. Like last Friday it forecast a dull rainy Saturday in Dublin, and it turned out to be a lovely day.

My Dad uses an IOS app that relies on the Norwegian Meteorological Institute, and claims to have noticed the same issue.

I haven't investigated further (by monitoring Met Éireann's forecasts for example), because I don't care that much.

But has anyone else noticed this? Am I imagining things? Or has something changed somewhere?

Yep my acuweather app has being shocking lately, last Sunday it told me it was raining while I was sitting there in blazing sun without a cloud in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I did note that weather.com was rubbish last week. We had a camping trip planned and some of our party were going to cancel based on the weather.com forecast. I showed them the BBC/metoffice take on things which was much more favourable and it turns out, not far off being spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

lack of data from flights is a big issue

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

lack of data from flights is a big issue

That's interesting. I did consider that...but it's hard to believe we're so reliant on them that we get it this badly wrong without them.

Also, there are still plenty of flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Certainly the two Sundays previous to last Sunday was heavy rain forecast and got two dry bike rides (3 hours plus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Yep - v poor data alright.

FYI BBC changed weather supplier to Meteogroup in 2018 (meteoblue.com)

Any thoughts on the current most reliable app? I've had people swear by the yr.no site - but I don't find it any better than several others?

Interesting comments re flights - I didn't realise that the forecasts depended on them so much...so much for all the weather models e.g. HIRLAM, GEM, GFS, ECM, GEFS, CFS, Harmonie and others.....

I also don't understand why e.g. Met.ie can't identify very low cloud which produces rain at e.g. Cork airport.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I've been wanting to cycle the new Limerick greenway for the last few weeks with a few people and the weather forecasts have been utterly useless, forecasting cold and rain and then the whole day ends up sunny and 19 deg, I was about to make the same thread recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

I use a combination of Met Eireann plus Weather & Radar app and frequently it is more accurate than ME for about 5 days out.....for example next Thursday at my location it says sunny and 21c - in line with MT CRANIUM forecast - but Met Eireann says cloudy and 15c.

From experience this summer I'm more inclined to expect 21c.

I also like their 14 day forecast while I know it's not accurate that far out, it's a good indicator of trends.

Advertisement