Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Used Car - Budget 30k

Options
  • 14-08-2021 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a replacement for my MKIV 1.9 TDi Golf. Used mostly for city driving with some road trips thrown in. Currently doing about 10-12k miles per year.

At the moment I'm between the MK7.5 1.0 VW Golf TSi and the 1.5 Seat Leon TSi. Costs are similar for both. Anyone experience with either of these engines? I wasn't mad on feel of the 1.0 TSi when I test drove it, but it wasn't bad per say, and makes much more sense than the TDi given my driving requirements. Maybe I just need to get used to the high revs of these turbo charged petrol engines. Is the 1.0 TSi engine reliable? Have heard anecdotally that these 3 cylinder engines aren't great long term? Looking for something I'll hang onto for 5 to 10 years.

If anyone has suggestions on other cars worth considering, let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

would you not consider an electric car given the type of mileage you do ? A couple of road trips a year are 0 hardship in an electric car these days.

I dont know much about your lifestyle and circumstances but an e-mini or maybe Honda e might suit you fine. Much more fun than a Golf tsi at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Electric car is a definite no no, but thanks. Infrastructure not there. Maybe in 5 or 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you looked at something like a Toyota Corolla hybrid? No plugging in and hybrid system is really suited for city driving. Probably as reliable as you get and good after sales support from Toyota too.

For example:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2897122

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Maybe read the OP's thread again. None of the car they mentioned are exciting in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's scary that it's 30k now for the likes of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

The new Corolla Hatchback Hybrid is far from dull. Had a test drive in one and it felt great to drive, a proper fun hatchback. And you won't get better long term reliability from many other cars.

Thought about the corolla alright but I figured a hybrid would be more expensive to maintain. Its hard to find anything petrol thats fun with less than 50k km at the price. Market is mad at the moment. I considered the 1.6 TDi Golf but I hear that the DPF gets clogged if you are mostly doing city driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A Toyota hybrid is bulletproof at this stage.

Im not a Toyota fan at all but if maintenance and reliability was a concern I'd certainly take the Toyota before a VW and especially before a VW petrol

OP, not sure what you are basing your logic on from thinking that a hybrid is going to be any more expensive to maintain over the others that you considered. I think you have got your info wrong there.

• Advertisement

Maybe I have the wrong idea. I assumed that the regenerative braking etc etc meant more things to go wrong and more expense. Tbh I'm taking my car info from What Car magazines top family hatchback recommendations. They put focus, leon, octavia and golf as top choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You would hardly get 48mpg from that engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭N958GB

Mid 90's Toyota Supra vroom vroom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Yes I have, but like any car if you drive it on it drop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

OP if you like Volkswagen as a brand I’d probably just go with the 1 litre Golf you mentioned. Its a nice engine and its punchy enough and you can’t really go wrong with a Golf. I think the 1.5 tsi is slight overkill for just regular city driving, but its not an absolute beast either by any means

Although a hybrid would be nice too if your willing to change to another car brand

Thanks yeah that's probably what I'll do. Just wanted yo make sure the 1.0 engine didn't have any major issues with it. Sure I'll try out the hybrid as well just to get the full comparison.

Thanks again for the advice

Advertisement