Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nightclubs and Gigs..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Dublin suburban nightclubs died a death between 2000-2015 roughly due to a few factors - fewer young people in their 20s due to a demographic dip, fewer young people drinking in general, young people having less money for booze, dating apps making single young people less desperate to go out, and deregulation of the taxi industry meaning getting home from town was no longer a huge pain.

But there were still plenty of nightclubs in town pre-corona despite all of that. Bucks, Leggs, Coppers, Diceys, Krystle, Dtwo, Xico, Everleigh, Opium, Pygmalion, Tramline, Twenty-two etc. And gig spots like the Button Factory or Academy or Whelans. Tens of thousands of young people would have been in them every weekend night, plus the staff and owners, so I'm willing to bet quite a few people are missing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I agree that tens of thousands frequented niteclubs in the cities before the covid closure but there has been little clamour by anyone (aside from owners) for their return. It's that what I find surprising. Pubs, restaurants, gyms cinemas had the Twitter army fighting their case, but no one really seems to care about what happens to clubs

Now, I'm a bit long in the tooth to care about clubbing now but up till my late twenties it was a big part of my life. That said I never really liked them (and I believe Iwas no way unique in that), you went because the crowd went and it was really the only place to get a late drink.

I think the lack of caring about them points to the existential crisis that the industry is in. Now that there is a choice in late venues, people are not choosing clubs, and once the crowd abandons a club there is no way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We dont have nightclubs, we have late bars that play pop music

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I've missed them, from my exposure, which is not a lot compared to most people, as I have only been to The Palace, Coppers, The Church, Leggs, Mantra and The Foundry, all the rest were late bars. I wasn't the most sociable person pre-COVID, although when I did get to meet people I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Going to clubs was a natural extension to that, I got to spend hours with friends from college, listening to music, just letting loose, and then all the hugs before we all got our night links or taxis home. They were good times, even now at 30 I'd be down for doing it all again, with my fiance and all our friends if the opportunity arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Dante

If I was young I probably would, but I'm the wrong side of 30 now so I guess not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Night clubs in Ireland are generally an appalling scene. The likes of Sir Henry's was fantastic but the dance scene in general always attracted an unsavoury element in Ireland. So you ended up in mundane middle of the road dives. Clubbing here just wasn't really a thing.

The licensing hours have a lot to answer for. Night clubs were given about an hour of opening time after pubs closed. Simply killed their selling point.

Night clubs should be allowed open until 6 am in my opinion..

Had many a great night in the Viper Rooms until 5 am. Think all those theater licenses dried up. Is there anything like that any longer?

A 90’s Galway institution getting knocked in the coming days years after being left to decay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is a nightclub

So is this

...and this

We do not have nightclubs in Ireland. Nothing even close. Belfast might have one or two, but certainly down south we have nothing that can be classed as a "nightclub". They really are just late bars with a small dance space.

100%

Just isn't a scene like that here at all. As you said, just an extension of a publicans existing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭dasdog

Good documentary about the early days to what some here are alluding to as the heyday. My slightly older and wilder friends would tell me tales of going to The Asylum. My favourite place of the lot was The Funnel. I pretty much stopped when it closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s no real nightclubs in ireland.

theres late night bars that play mainstream pop music with a small square dance floor hidden away in the corner. And don’t forget the high prices for drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

OK then as someone who ould have thought i spent all my time from 18-30 in nightclubs i must have been not in a proper one at all. i actually love the cheesy pop and wandering around checking out the talent. i guess a nightclub shouldnt be an extension of your local where you can actually go in and out to smoking area without ever even taking off your jacket, wouldnt really be a nightclub? i hear a lot of people on here saying im in my 30s so wouldnt go to one, i still love to head every month or two just for the craic with mates, but like i say its probably not a proper hardcore nightclub.

were not nightclubs kind of laidback type places in late 70s and 80s, like loads of tables , you could sit and chat to people, go and dance or just mingle. has anyine seen forest gump moviee? im thinking of the nightclub where the girl jenny and friends are taking drugs and later in scene she attempts suicide off a building? would that be classed as a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Blut2

There were still plenty of places serving until 4-5am in Dublin pre corona - Bucks, Leggs, Coppers, Black Door etc would all serve you booze until well after the sun comes up in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think I was mistaken about that, as L1011 said it had already closed pre-covid, but I was thinking of Club 92.

I thought someone was going to tell me there's a back room to the sandyford house or something...

Traffic/Twisted Pepper/Wigwam was a good spot, as was Redbox/Tripod. I also had a few good nights in district 8. Two of those are due to become apartments or hotels.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. There was also a second club in the old Baileys Visitor Centre which is on site there called "Rocksy" or similar for a while.

As goes the big superclub footage upthread - we did have some of those. Redbox/Tripod, South in Tramore and Lush! in Portrush (not Belfast - Belfast was always a bit cack for that) for instance. All gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Don't worry about the definition, if you enjoyed it the title doesn't matter. To paraphrase father Ted, "you had your fun and that's all that matters"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Anyone remember Columbia Mills on Sir John Rogersons Quay and The System? Ri-Ra, the PoD and The Kitchen were good also😎👍👍

In my college years in my late teens/early 20s, Fibbers and Bruxelles would be the regular Friday or Saturday night spots.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

There were some good clubs but slowly died out as my 20’s progressed.

andrews lane wasn’t bad awful sound but good place to get mouldy more recently “Hanger”

Tivoli/district 8 good club but more of a live stage setup.

twisted pepper was a proper nightclub in the basement part. Great system. Smelt bad though.

tripod was rammed all the time and I miss it so much. Worked well as a nightclub and had multiple rooms/floors.

The Wright venue was fairly good in terms of nichtclub but this is when i started to grow out of the scene seemed to attract a more commercial crowd.

I still love a good night club but nothing will compare to tripod imo and sadly I think the days of nightclubbing isn’t looking hopeful for Ireland. In Berlin not too long ago and different ball game. They take pride in the scene.

id love to see a big resurgence as restrictions ease but I doubt it. Lads are too girly nowadays and prefer playstation and CBD for muscle growth drinking kambucha for their g33’s

A nightclub is not restricted to megaclubs pumping out merch to enhance the brand. Its whatever those who go and enjoy make it. There doesnt have to a Pacha in Portarlington or a Ministry of Sound in Manorhamilton for it to be a club

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There were nightclubs for all genre's on the 90's ad 00's. I love going out to nightclubs and I don't even drink. :) It was just a great laugh getting up having a dance and laugh and a bonus if you pulled. I liked the clubs in town but I found the smaller clubs better and more local better, maybe it was because you might meet someone you know in there or whatever but they always seemed better fun. I remember driving out to a nightclub in a hotel that was facing Goffs, it's not there anymore now, was sold up and houses built on it. Pity to see them dying out like the slow set.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ambassador. Demolished, but the business park next door is still called Embassy which is a tad confusing for people who don't remember it!

Rural Kildare had a fair few of those rural nightclubs that people bussed out to. Nijinskys (now turned in to a house) and I think the Stand House behind the grandstand at the Curragh were common enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

IIRC there was a place in Mohill too that was fairly famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hillstreet/Nova

Think it had got particulaly ratty towards the end.

Plenty of superclubs in the UK have vanished too, its just that we've lost all of them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 natural_immunity

I'm personally quite health conscious, don't drink and I'm quite selective with what chemicals go in my body. I rather go for a hike or have a barbecue with friends but I have enjoyed going to a nite club once or twice a year and observing the mating rituals that take place there. I hope they don't die, they give the urban landscape a bit of colour if anything else.

Advertisement