Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Classic Road Race and Sportif

Options
  • 12-08-2021 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Galway Bay CC are hosting the Galway Classic road race and sportive on Saturday and Sunday 21st and 22nd of August. The sportive takes place on the Saturday on the A3 route which is 85k with 8 off road sectors and the road races on the Sunday. Road bikes are sufficient to do the sportif.

The A1/2 race is 120k with 9 off road sectors and the A3 races is 85k with 8 off road sectors.

To sign up for the sportif click on the link below.

To sign up for the road race click on the following link

9 places left in the A3 race and 15 in the A1/2. This year there will be four provincial teams in the race.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Is there a strava or garmin link for the a3 sportive route?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Spectators allowed at events or what is the COVID guidance regarding this?

Injured at the minute so can’t take part but would love to catch some of the race see what it’s like

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Morris Garren

I have attended numerous cycling events this year as a race organiser, racer and spectator; thankfully neither NPHET nor the Government have banned breathing fresh air in the Irish countryside so I suggest you can watch this event- or any event- whatever way you like, once you socially distance and don't stand somewhere you shouldn't i.e. don't go standing at the start line, on the podium, or generally make a nuisance of yourself on top of people. You will be perfectly fine watching the races on this basis.

Just use common sense- and stop waiting for Tony Holohan to tell you how to live. I can imagine this race will be very much worth watching and I hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I did the sportif on Saturday and had a brilliant day out - its a great course, and the whole thing was really well organised. I was on my own but fell into a group with some sound people and so the whole spin was great.

The gravel sectors were really fun and we were always looking forward to the next one.

Would highly recommend for anyone thinking of doing it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Have to agree. The sportif was excellent and was almost dissappointed when a 'secteur' ended.

I will be one of the first to sign up next year.

Bye the way sbs2010 that wasnt you on the lovely semi vintage Colnago was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

I also cycled the Sportif on Saturday and it was a great day out. Before the event I was kinda wary of doing the gravel sectors on the road bike, but it was fine. A very well organised and run event, and hope it stays on the calendar. Would highly recommend anyone to give it a go!

I was a moto-Marshall for the race yesterday, and thought the racing was brilliant throughout the day. Congrats to the podium placers in both races, and to Galway Bay CC for putting on a great weekend of events! 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Rode the A3 event yesterday. A brilliant race and a rare thing to experience this type of amateur road racing in Ireland. Very tough but a thrilling experience. Will be back yet again. I know all of the roads and have ridden them many times but never like this. If like me you haven't many racing years left then do it! You wont regret it. A big hats off to Galway Bay cc and the organisers, the best race in the country by a gravelly rough county mile👍

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sbs2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Ah cool. That was myself on the ridley (and an ex boardsie) that rode with you after the first secteur to the second and into the 1st water stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Would you get away with a road bike & 28mm clinchers for the race? Or are you just waiting to get a puncture?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Loads ride it with just 28mm road tyres, some don't even bother changing although it will be more comfortable, and others change into semi slick/CX tyres. I don't remember there being many reports of punctures the first year it ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Changing to a tougher tyre is a great idea actually, adding this to next years list of race disappointments 😂

I rode it on 28x700 vitoria randonnes. They were too heavy. Brilliant in the secrors but required a noticeable effort to keep them rolling on the road. I'll go with 28s again next year but without the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Is some of this route on closed roads that just open for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did the sportif Saturday, really enjoyed it. Nice mix of roads and sectors. Had a pair of 28x700 Vitoria Randonnes as well, found them a good mix for the surfaces. Averaged about 33kph out of Athenry before the tiredness hit so would blame the lack of sleep/fitness before the tyres 😀

Was able to average 28 on the sectors so would use them again next year.

Well organised and a nice route so will do it again.

Ya, if I was doing the Sportif I'd keep the randonnes on, they would be perfect but for the race I found then tough enough. Just felt like the bike wouldn't roll and that you had to be on the gear all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

I just used normal 25mm road tyres, but tubeless setup so lower pressure. Had no issues at all with them, though I think if it had been wet I would have struggled coming up from the underpass on sector 1.

I rode tubeless GP5000 25mm and they worked a treat, they had to take serious abuse on the sectors but ran 55/60 psi and they held up.

I noticed that a major part of this race is the attitude of the rider; some guys who would probably leave me for dust in a regular road race were out the back after sector 1; also, a few guys were determined to go full gas on the bog roads but ended up with punctures/mechanicals or sliding out on gravel; it's a race that requires a bit more thinking, preparation and more tactics than a regular race. Probably the best race in the calendar therefore

• Advertisement

Depends on your weight, tyre pressure, bike handling, and luck. It's all up to you really

Advertisement