Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First time driver/car buyer. Numerous questions.

Options
  • 12-08-2021 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi there. First time car buyer and driver here (late 20s). I have a few questions to ask about buying cars/haggling etc.

1. Is it preferable to buy from a dealer? I see a lot of cars on donedeal posted from private sellers, but do you have more "come back" if you buy from a dealer instead?
    2. If you are buying from a private seller, is the lack of warranty a good haggling point? For example, if the car is 7000, could I offer 5500 because of lack of warranty, or do they not really care?
    3. Any advice, tips, tricks, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You've no comeback at all from a private seller. A private seller's price will (should) usually already be cheaper than a dealer (for the same car), partly because they're not offering any warranty.

You can offer what you like to a private seller, for any reason. How willing they are to take it depends on how much they need to get rid of the car, how much interest there is in it, and what's the minimum amount they have in their head for its worth (or that they've already budgeted into another purchase or use). I'd doubt you'd get a grand and a half off a car priced at 7k unless it was demonstrably overpriced, or you uncovered a significant issue. But I could be wrong.

The second hand market is pretty tight at the moment - more demand than supply. I was recently looking at cars from dealers, and none of them would budge at all on price. Not sure if private sellers in general are as sure of the market to do that.

I've never bought from a private seller, but I have sold as one. From that perspective, the only tip I'll give regarding haggling is make sure that the seller knows that you're willing to walk away. I had a couple who got a 3 hour train ride to come to my house to see a car. I picked them up from the train station in it, and let them dive it back to my place. In conversation they told me they only bought a one-way ticket. We had agreed a price on the phone, but when it came to them handing over the cash, they wanted to knock €500 off. I knew full well that they weren't going to walk 2 miles from my house back to the train station, pay for another two single tickets and sit on a train for another 3 hours contemplating the day they'd wasted. So stuck to my guns and got the agreed amount with little fuss.

General tip is to bring someone who knows about cars with you to check it out. If you don't know anyone, there's mechanics/companies that will do a pre-sale check for you that may uncover issues or confirm everything's fine. I've never used one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Even thought it's old there is alot of useful information in this sticky thread at the top of the forum:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056198864/buying-a-used-car-in-ireland-guide#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

A high percentage of "private sellers" on donedeal are nothing of the sort, stuff dealers don't want to stand over, backstreet dealers and boyos shiftin' cars all day long are rife in the private seller category.

They don't even bother to hide it and scumdeal make no effort to stop them.

"Private seller" ad I saw a few days ago; description: Just taken in from main dealer. Next ad I looked at: clean car, trade-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd go the garage route, if you are in Dublin avoid dealers in the Ballymount Triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

To be fair there’s plenty of decent dealers around Ballymount/Naas Road etc. I know some of them personally

• Advertisement
Advertisement