Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid Concerns Regarding Gym Use

Options
  • 11-08-2021 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I went back to my gym this week for the first time since December and was surprised to see the lack of Covid procedures in place. There was no mask wearing, no social distancing requirements that I could make out, only a handful of people were cleaning the machines before or after use and the gym was packed. In addition to this probably about half the people in there were in their 20s so they are unlikely to be fully vaccinated yet.

Is this standard practice for all gyms or is my gym just taking the p*ss?

And if it is indeed standard practice, then why is the advice for indoor areas like gyms completely at odds with all other indoor areas? Surely if the threat of spreading Delta is so great indoors, then there should be evidence of massive transmission of the variant within gyms if they are all operating like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We've never had mandated mask wearing but there is a booking app to control numbers, the windows are open and people clean down equipment after use with sanitiser. I believe there is a thread on this in the fitness section BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Depends on the gym really.

My gym is pretty good for people wiping down bars & benches after they use them. Masks are optional on the actual gym floor but all machines/racks are distanced out.

Trainers walk around the gym floor reminding people to wipe down as well, saw one on Monday sprint after someone who didn't do it lol

So yeah, pretty much depends on the gym and how seriously the management take it.

We have been back to the gym in Switzerland for 4 months and it is like this. Most people cleaning after themselves (not me, I used towel and it is enough) but apart from this no social distance, no mask, showers, saunas, collective classes too, everyone breathing heavily etc.

If you read too much boards or other media it doesn’t make sense. If you don’t and you think Covid is small or imaginary disease then it is fine... You have to choose (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I'm waiting for them to open the saunas, then I'll be back. So hopefully next year, or 2023. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your gym is taking the p*ss.

Mine is like the other above: masks in common areas, controlled numbers, people are wiping stuff (though we know that touch is a very low transmission risk anyways), windows and doors open.

Re

Surely if the threat of spreading Delta is so great indoors, then there should be evidence of massive transmission of the variant within gyms if they are all operating like this?

You do have to wonder about this super-infections Delta variant, given the lack of massive transmission evidence. But shhh, that's an off-narrative comment. You'll be called a conspiracy theorist if you say things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you and those you care about have been vaccinated I wouldn't care at all about the rest, let them make their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

That's the problem. I have a young baby at home who won't be vaccinated anytime soon. So if the gyms are operating on a fast & loose basis I can't really take any risks.

Ah well, looks like I will stick with the home "gym" for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 feckwunker

Your baby stands a very, very negligible risk of catching COIVD from your returning from the gym, let alone falling sick with it. If your vaccinated, you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

The cleaning down is pure theatre. It does next to nothing in preventing covid transmission. It is a solid all round hygienic measure though.

I regrettably had to leave the gym. No masks, overcrowding, no enforcement. It's not worth the risk.

If they follow other countries and introduce vaccine passes I will go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Given our extraordinarily high vaccine uptake and working under the assumption that you yourself are fully vaccinated it’s likely that 80-90% of everyone there is fully or partially vaccinated. What value do you see masks, distancing, and vaccine passports providing at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People really have lost all sense of perspective haven't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There really is nothing to worry about with your baby when it comes to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

There’s in in 100,000 change of a 0-19 year old being hospitalised from covid. I assume lees the younger you are https://twitter.com/fergalbowers/status/1425519466645966850?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I think the key point to take away from that HSE statement is that it is referring to children without underlying conditions. Who knows what underlying conditions the baby might have, he's barely here a wet week and I certainly don't want to find out the hard way.

Each to their own and I don't begrudge anybody going back gyming but given my current situ I'm going to sit it out for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Many other countries are using digital covid certs or equivalence for entry into gyms.

I am surprised that there has been little push for this to occur here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

ssssshhhhh. The covid certs were introduced for restaurants and pubs to make people think about going to them. There is no health or safety aspect to them at all. What is the difference with dining as a resident in a hotel where you don't need a covid cert to a non resident dining in the hotel? If you are vaccinated what do you have to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Since vaccinated people can still spread covid there is actually very little health and safety benefit to covid certs, the risk to the OP's baby would remain even if everybody in that gym had one.

Digital certs are a boondoggle used to manipulate people into getting vaccinated, and it is bars and restaurants getting targeted first. The gyms turn will come, just not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

If they do introduce covid certs for gyms it would need to be part of an overall introduction of covid certs for everything. Personally I think the covid certs should be done away with, they provide no benefit to anyone and only cause hardship on businesses and anxiety in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Marilynr2

Most gyms are reminding everyone regularly to keep cleaning equipment after use etc. It's unfortunate that some people don't stick to that but unfortunately some people are lazy. They're also restricting numbers.

I don't agree with mask wearing at the gym but I think people are generally socially distanced due to the space in between machines etc. anyway... Some people are on top of each other alright but they're probably training with their friends who they are already in close contact with anyway!

Advertisement