Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this advertisment misleading?

Options
  • 11-08-2021 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭

False advertising? Take a look at this advert.

OK, so technically you're working 14 days out of 28 days instead of 20 but lets pull up the "more family time" claim for a second. Your average 20 day (5 weekdays roughly 8 hours with a shorter Friday) is 39 hours a week. Time that by 4 that's 156 hours. Now 7 days and 7 nights are of course 14 days, time that by 12 hours and you come up with 168 hours in that 4 week period. So you actually working an extra 12 hours in that period. Right, 12 hours over 4 weeks isn't a lot and it would suit some to have a bit more money in the bank but I think this is a bit of a underhanded means of trying to make shift work look more attractive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Take things like travel time into account, and being able to do long weekends, being home during the day during the week etc. It works for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Where does it say 12 hours per shift? Even if it is 12, the advantages of working fewer days may well out-weigh the extra hours - for some, a workday is [working-time + two hours before + two hours after] (including commute, prep, wind-down). The prep and wind-down are the same length regardless of the working-time, so fewer days with longer hours could easily result in more free time overall

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In the ad itself https://careerwise.ie/jobs/Product_Builder_CW125311/

I still reckon they're trying to sell a tough shift pattern as better then it actually is. If you are dedicated one or the other you can adjust your body clock accordingly, but hopping back and forth between days, off, nights, off, days, off can't be healthy. Presuming there's two or three "shifts" rotating around, what's the advantage to the workplace in this shift pattern versus having a dedicated day/(evening)/night crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zimmer appear to be constantly recruiting.

I've heard from people who found tough working there - the shift pattern suits some people, but not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seaninbayarea

I worked this shift elsewhere for a while. With 4 hours OT per wk plus shift allowance, it was ~40% over base pay. Transition from Sunday night to Weds day was tough - finish at 7am Monday, back in at 7AM Weds. OTOH, Thursday day to Monday night shift meant 96 hours off (7 pm Thur to 7 pm Mon). Most commuting done outside rush hour was a plus. Ad looks very fair to me OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I looked at the advert, and what you say in the post is precisely what I got from the advert.

I really can't see any issue.

You seem to have searched for an issue and then skewed it to try and find a fault.

But it says everything it is and you get paid for every hour you work. If it suits you, great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I did it for years and it is definitely not a healthy lifestyle. Numerous studies linking it to heart problems and other issues. Also adjusting sleeping patterns between days and nights can be a challenge. There were times when I was stuck on night mode even on my days off.

Lost contact with most of my old friends because of it aswell as I was never available at the same times that they were.

Suits some people though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Thanks everyone. I suppose I was a bit blind sided at the thought of a day/night split shift being advertised as being a better life balance. I still think it's marketing spin B.S. I mean you cannot commit regularly to anything outside of work, like an evening class or scheduled meet ups

But Career Wise have targets to meet so, whatever it takes. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dgvs

Looks like typical medical device assembly line position. The only difference - shift work presented as work/life balance.

Advertisement