Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grass query

• 10-08-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Amateur farmer here so probably asking dumb questions.

Cut the silage about 7 weeks ago, and only applied slurry since. It's at least 20 years ago since the land was reseeded, but it's been pretty well looked after apart from maybe lime.

The grass growth is even, except for this lad, which seems to be taking hold every year, and in the 7 weeks since the silage was cut it has taken over the fields and grown to about 600/700 mm in height.

Good / bad any info ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Perennial ryegrass gone to seed.

Not a problem grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Yeah m8, but it goes to seed so quickly. The other grass is barely growing, when the perennial ryegrass is gone to seed. In 7 weeks it now looks like a "rough" field that wasn't grazed at all this year. Is there "feeding" in the silage if a lot of it is seeded perennial ryegrass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭White Clover

The plant is stressed. Perennial ryegrass needs loads of nitrogen. When it is stressed, it goes to seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm guessing the low grass is scutch grass.

What are you planning to do with the aftergrass? 2nd cut, graze.

There's no worries with what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Thanks

It got plenty of nitrogen for the first cut and was still seeded. It's dry sandy land and doesn't like the drought conditions, that we had for most of the time between first cut and now. I had planned a 2nd cut (bales) but I don't really need to and was mostly wondering if there is "middling feed" in a crop of seeded perennial ryegrass with scutch grass ?

And is there anything I can do better next year apart from reseeding ?

PS my knowledge on types of grass, is limited to the plantnet app on the phone. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dry weather really forces grass to head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

It could be Italian ryegrass though Perennial more likely.

Perennial is the predominant seed in grass seed mixtures. The grass leaf (of ryegrass) itself has a shiny gloss and a red colouration at the base; it is the most productive of the grasses in the Irish climate. The base grasses are unlikely to be scutch. Would be slow to reseed.

In Spring you would have a better idea of how much ryegrass is in the sward.

Advertisement