Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registering a UK car that ha been stored in Ireland for 15 years

• 30-07-2021 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I’m in the middle of purchasing a 1974 MG B Roadster but I was hoping for some advice. The car is on UK plates (from England not NI), and has been in Ireland for about 15 years. It was a restoration project that only got as far as stripping it before unforeseen circumstances meant it ended up being left in a shed for years. The car is pretty much in boxes now, but it has all its relevant documents, so I was just wondering how difficult would it be to register the car here now?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

they wont VRT it until it's a complete car. Quite probably they'll be looking for a lot of back tax .

Your best option may be to export it back to the UK when complete , get an MoT and a fresh V5C and then re-import it. Fraught with diffculties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Isn't a car that old (74) not on some sort of classic vrt? Like a really low flat rate?

Edit: Here we go: https://www.vrt.ie/faq/vrt-rate-vintage-car/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Yes it is (€200) but its not that simple anymore. You now have duty and VAT to consider and you can only VRT a running car. There could be fines involved because the car wasn't declared when it entered the state. Bit of a minefield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Duty and VAT only applies when buying/importing. OP says the car is in the country for 15 years already and I would assume he has documentation with regards to the sale. It might get a little complicated I guess but how bad can it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If they impose a penalty for being 15 years late that would be massive. However, the fact that the car was not driveable when originally brought in might be a way to avoid this aspect.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Correct. Duty and VAT applies when importing which is what the OP is doing. If the VRT hasn't been paid then it isn't imported yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You have to pay the VAT and Duty before the VRT.

I'd make sure to have an invoice for the car dated before 1/1/21 as this should mean no VAT and Duty applies when the time comes to register.

Of course this will expose the fact the car has been in the country for a while so I would take some photographs now before it is restored to show it was not possible to VRT due to it being unroadworthy. Also keep any invoices for parts/ labour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Why can he not say he brought it down from the North last week and he bought it off Joe Bloggs . Joe Bloggs had it for the last fifteen years and here's the V5 , he imported it from the UK and never registered it in the North . If the V5 has the last registered owner in 2006 then whats the problem ?If you at the moment bought a car from a guy in the UK that had it for the last 15 years and he taxed it and insured it then whats the difference to buying it from a fella who stored it for 15 years and didn't tax it or insure it ? Nothing to me - i don't see what business it is of Revenue what history the car had or where it was , if it has a valid V5 and it not flagged as stolen or finance owing i don't see a problem - its

Well if he bought it of a chap in the UK 15 years ago and didnt register it in the North then hes liable for VAT and duty! From your post it seems as though you dont understand the system!

the position is if you import a car you must VRT it within 30 days or else penalties apply. Notwithstanding you cannot VRT a non running car, there is no mid-point here. There is no provision or allowance made for a non-running car. VRT within 30 days or penalties. It's a can of worms.

I wouldn't be so sure that VAT and Customs Duty wouldn't be applied either.

• Advertisement

Its simple enough to me ....you bring the car from the North - take it up over the Border if you like and bring it down and declare it to Customs on the way down , so a few receipts for petrol bought up there if you have to . Show a receipt for buying the car for - what ??? €1000 , €2000 , (Who are they to say a hand written receipt from a private seller is valid or not ) pay your VAT on that if you have to . There is no record of that car coming into the country so the Customs cannot say anything because they have no proof that it came into the Country fifteen years ago - as i said from once the V5 is valid that's all that should concern them . Looking for to see if its taxed or insured in another country is none of their business

the world has changed, you need all sorts of documentation nowadays. Customs declaration for one.

Looking to see the motor tax position in the UK is exactly one thing they do.

How can you know they don't have a database of cars coming off the ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Probably came in on the back of a truck?

Not your ornery onager

quite probably but you start making up stories about I just bought it in the North etc and there's a chance you could get called on it.

Probably best to lay your cards on the table when the time comes and see what they make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

Anyone who says “You can just say …”

in relation to customs or revenue hasn’t a clue.

They’ve heard every story in the book and are wide to all the evasion schemes.

Customs do have a database of cars coming off a ferry.

Explain how you know that ? And how long does the data base go back

Have you ever heard of a ship's manifest?

When you disembark have you ever counted the CCTV cameras?

Have you ever bought a car in the EU or UK and driven it back without anyone knowing?

20 years ago my neighbour had visitors in a Toyota Hilux with all the bells and whistles. Within a month Customs were at the door wanting wanting to know where it was . They are watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Customs operate ANPR cameras in Port. You genuinely don’t seem to have a grip on dealing with Customs.

i think he was suggesting they wouldn't have had anpr camera 15 years ago

Exactly ....... have they records going back 15 years ago ???? i very much doubt it . If he takes that car up the North for one day its out of this Country - i dont care what anyone says its out of this jurisdiction. If that car is registered to someone up the North and he produces evidence that he brought it down over the border what ever happened in the last fifteen years doesn't matter. The only person that knows he had that car is himself - there's ways around it. If he produces an invoice for a "nominal' amount of money then that's what he paid . Customs cant decide that he paid more for it because they don't have any evidence that he did . If he wants to be sure to be sure register it to someone in the North and work around that .Different story if the car drove off the ferry nowadays

I had a car last year - Jan 2020 brought in from the UK on a transporter - no plates on it , removed them - no one stopped me in Dublin . Next Covid crisis , No V5 for seven months , couldnt clear it ( A seventeen Reg car ) without V5 . Next when the NCT centres opened they had an Amnesty until 01 Aug 2020 , that you did not have to have shipping evidence . Produced the car at NCT , he asked for evidence of shipping i said it came down through the North there is none . He disappeared for about 20 mins - obviously rang his customs contact - he came back and processed the car and i paid the bill (€5,500) . Now if he did get sticky about the the shipping No.1 The Date that the V5 was issued was only in previous four weeks because i registered it to a friend in London so that i had a valid V5 to pay the duty on it - the date is on it , its a valid V5 , its black and white on the paper . And No 2 - i also had a print out from the revenue about the Amnesty . Everything fine - i wasn't dodging anything , it was just the whole Covid thing caused a huge mess for me with valid paper work .

The thing that gets me on this is people openly encouraging other people to commit fraud. Then we all get tarred with the same brush

yes indeed. If you were to follow the suggestion and then find they do have a record of the car being in the state, then that's likely to be Fraud or Tax Evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

You're lying to revenue about the history of the car, and evading arrears of VRT.

That's fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If they have a record of the car, let them find it. Otherwise its just crates of spares at the moment.

If I were to purchase that now with the idea of putting it back on the road, I would feel no obligation to cover VRT arrears for some other lad with a box of bits.

When you get it put together, book a one way ferry ticket from the UK to Ireland with the car details included, that you'll never be on, then two days later turn up to Revenue and get it registered in Ireland. End of problem.

• Advertisement

didn't someone mention earlier the ANPR cameras at the docks?

Advertisement