Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling Video Game Thread

• 19-04-2021 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

So, we usually have a 2K thread for WWE games, but there are many more on the way soon. According to Smacktalks, there are no less than 9 wrestling games in development currently. Some of the bigger names:

AEW Games (Console & GM mobile game)
    WWE 2K22
    The Wrestling Code
    Retromania Wrestling (official sequel to WWF Wrestlefest Arcade Game)
    Ultraviolence Pro Wrestling

This is in addition to a pretty healthy Fire Pro Wrestling World community, who continue to provide creations for download.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

We need Day of Reckoning 3 God damn it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Retromania is an official sequel? Thought it was just inspired by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Retromania is an official sequel? Thought it was just inspired by it?

It originally was an inspiration creation, but they somehow managed to get the sequel label...

https://www.retromaniawrestling.com/news/retromania-wrestling-is-now-the-official-sequel-to-wrestlefest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I'm beyond hyped for the AEW game. Everything theyre saying about it so far is exactly what I want to hear.

Beyond that, does anyone know if there's ever any chance of Fire Pro coming to the Switch? I'd heard a year or two back that it was on it's way but nothing since.

I bought fire pro wrestling world on PS4 a few months back after hearing about the fire pro wrestling games over the years.

I just couldn't get into it. Felt like matches go way too long and it takes around 50 finishers to end it. It just wasn't for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Had the same experience, I appreciate it's a game that takes time to master but time is not something I have at the moment. Very excited for Ultraviolence pro wrestling but pity there's no rough release estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I don't watch wrestling, haven't since the good ol Ultimate Warrior days but every now and then i get an itching for a wrestling game, mostly for career mode building a wrestler from scratch but would like to fight against old school wrestlers. I hear 2k20 is a no-go and 2k19 is the best version in years. I also heard you can download community creations which sounds good. Are the servers still live fire 2k19?

I keep getting tempted by Fire Pro but the long matches completely puts me off.

Any other wrestling games currently on the PlayStation with looking at?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I don't watch wrestling, haven't since the good ol Ultimate Warrior days but every now and then i get an itching for a wrestling game, mostly for career mode building a wrestler from scratch but would like to fight against old school wrestlers. I hear 2k20 is a no-go and 2k19 is the best version in years. I also heard you can download community creations which sounds good. Are the servers still live fire 2k19?

I keep getting tempted by Fire Pro but the long matches completely puts me off.

Any other wrestling games currently on the PlayStation with looking at?

Yeah servers are still live for 2k19. 2k18 and 2k19 are both on PS now.

I didn't like Fire pro but I know some people love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Looks less cartoony than previous sneak peeks at least. However, it looks very much like older WWE games now. Apparently the punch animation is lifted straight from the WWE games - i didn't think Yukes took any of those assets with them when they finished up with 2K

I know nothing about game development or anything like that but can someone that does tell me - How hard would it be to just use the No Mercy engine and just update it with today's graphics, new match types etc? Or is it impossible?

That's all I'm looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know nothing about game development or anything like that but can someone that does tell me - How hard would it be to just use the No Mercy engine and just update it with today's graphics, new match types etc? Or is it impossible?

That's all I'm looking for :D

Short answer:
    No. It would be like trying to play a cassette tape in a dvd drive :p

Long answer:
    On one hand you can emulate n64 games on the ps4 because the ps4 can be jailbroken. In fact, a lot of people mod classic n64 wrestling games as it is. Take a look at this:

https://sites.google.com/site/nomercymods/_/rsrc/1332643294104/home/nm-legends-2.png

But each game has it's own game engine. Let's take No Mercy N64 for example, that was developed with n64 specs in mind. All emulation does is emulate the hardware in your current operating system. So if you started to drop in character models with say 300,000 polygons it simply wouldn't work within a n64 environment. That's just one example of a brick wall you would face.

You would just have to pick a modern game engine, like unreal, and start from scratch.

Got the N64 out of the attic to play some Revenge, WM 2000 and No Mercy. Over 20 years later and they still feel amazing to play. No Mercy is the best game overall but I love the roster in Revenge.

https://twitter.com/VirtualBasement/status/1411796368272789516?s=19

Big get for "The Wrestling Code" video game

Got the N64 out of the attic to play some Revenge, WM 2000 and No Mercy. Over 20 years later and they still feel amazing to play. No Mercy is the best game overall but I love the roster in Revenge.

Yup.
    The aki n64 wrestling games are the best. An insane thing considering how old they are now & the amount of wrestling games that came since.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's a lot of AEW's roster listed on their reveal trailer on their website. I wonder if they'll clash with the impending AEW game? I suspect it's all good as AEW isn't afraid to let its talent work elsewhere but image/likeness rights issues can get tricksy!

People working on 2k22 must be pulling their hair out with all the releases the last couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Strange one but I'm playing 2k19 and starting a career. I want to pick Powerhouse as they seem to have my favourite moves. However, no matter what weight and height i pick, I'm stuck with either body type 9 or 10 which looks ridiculous, wide as a bus. Is there any way to pick a smaller body type for powerhouse? I get they're supposed to be big but my fella looks ridiculous altogether.

Edit: nvm, can edit once you finish and pick any body type, why couldn't they just let me do that at the start, weird.

This releases today on Xbox and Playstation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

From the trailer released at summerslam WWE 2k22 won’t release until March 2022.

By then there should be 4 wrestlers left to choose from.

More footage of the the AEW console game

You know what was a great wrestling game? Legends of Wrestling. The first in particular. Really gave a sense of the old school territory days. Wrestling in dingey arenas and some old school names.

Really enjoyed it, loved the alternate attires also. WWE games could of picked up on that, instead of having 4 Stings in a game, just proper alt attires. Even something like attribute changes should be altered with costume alterations. E joyed the second game also.

The TNA gameplay I quite enjoyed, very dynamic and interactive, the wwe games did eventually take a few mechanics from that.

Xbox WWE releases always lacked, while gamecube got it absolutely spot on.

Backyard wrestling games were mindless fun, but fecking hell very overpriced at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

I was on the kickstarter for that. I think I was waiting 7, 8 years for it. E-mail all the time and no reply. When the game went on pc they ignored people like me about the console release on social media. Finally got my code for it and played for about 20 minutes after all that.

Anyone else completely underwhelmed by WWE 2K22? How are wrestling games so hard to get right?

• Advertisement

Yep. Was hoping after 2 years away we'd get a decent game but I don't think it's looking likely.

Don't like the look of the new combo grapple system they're going with and the new camera angle can't be changed.

Was interested in GM mode coming back but sounds like crap the more that comes out about it. The only belts you can use is the 2 world titles for Men and the 2 world titles for women. No mid card, tag team titles etc. A load of match types can't be used either and I think you can only have 3 matches per show.

Also I thought the Rey showcase would be interesting with ECW and WCW stuff but supposedly it starts at WM 21 in 2005.

And for what they're charging for the nWo edition, it should have came with every single person that was ever in the group and a load of WCW arenas from 96 - 98.

Advertisement