Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta 2021

• 09-08-2021 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

La Vuelta begins on Saturday with a short TT around Burgos. Lots of info on the official website and this cyclingnews.com preview thread, plus other places. Feel free to post daily previews if anyone wishes to do so ...

Bernal, Carapaz and Roglič will be the prime contenders, but this late in the year, I'd be surprised if there is not a few other potential podium contenders.

It's always a good tour

Summary

Running from Saturday 14 August 2021 to Sunday 5 September 2021, La Vuelta 21will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3.417 kilometers.

8 flat stages (2 with high-altitude finales)

4 hilly stages

7 mountain stages

2 individual time-trial stages

2 rest days

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Curious to see how Pidcock and Simmons get on (dodgy social media aside). I fear things might not go Roglic's way this year but who knows. 7 summit finishes and a reasonably long final stage hilly TT makes for some possible drama after two fairly mediocre grand tours so far.

Starting about 10 days earlier than normal this year? Saw the stage 3 climb to Picon Blanco last week at Burgos, amazing views once they clear the tree line but that early in the race it shouldn't be too big a problem. Bernal didn't look his very best up it but I doubt he'd be worried.

New climb on stage 17 , I think this is it and it comes after a double ascent of a cat 1 climb

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The last week looks like some pretty serious business. The downside to that, of course, may be that the first fortnight will be a bit of a snoozefest, with everyone keeping their powder dry for Asturias and Galicia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Gamoniteiro is an absolute monster. 14.5km @10%. It's on the same mountain as the Angliru. I turned back at the start of it 2 years ago because we were running out of daylight.

Alongside the Cubilla from 2019 its the mountain most Spanish cycling fans have wanted to see for years.

Galego from this parish climbed it recently, hopefully he has some good pics and insights to share with us

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Eddie not in the Ineos squad, guess it was a given once he had to drop out from the Burgos race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Gamonitiero looks a bit gnarly all right......😮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

Yeap I climbed it about a week ago. I knew Cobertoria but never been up Gamoniteiru before. In my opinion it isn't as hard as Angliru, or even Cuitu Negru, but obviously 14km at 10% isn't easy. First 10km (Cobertoria) is very good surface and constant 10% gradient. Last 6km up to Gamoniteiru mast, gradient is quite irregular with last 3 or 2 Kms being the hardest.

To my surprise the road to the mast wasn't resurfaced at all and there are two concrete segments which are completely in pieces. The second one, and hardest, I saw machines working in a detour so I reckon they'll skip it. Pity as it is the 17% final ramp in broken concrete where you cant even get off the saddle.

Hope you all enjoy the insights 😀

Photo taken by my friend on the day.

Post edited by Galego on

It looks like Ventoux's evil Spanish cousin with the mast at the top but with a narrower and poorer road.

How was it coming back down???? If by some miracle I dragged myself up there I'd imagine I'd not be happy coming back down it.

EDIT: Looking at that picture they are hardly going to be be able to send team car's up there are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I think it could make for a more attacking finale than the Angliru. Angliru is the ultimate test but it's a pure slug fest once it hits the crazy %s, brute strength and brutality are what it takes to win there. With the Gamoniteiro being a bit less severe you could see more tactical attacks farther down the mountain.

There's a track that leads across the top of the Sierra Aramo from the Gamoniteiro towards the Angliru, shortly before the last concrete section. If that's where the road works were I'd say they were clearing a pavilion for the vehicles as there's really no space at the very top

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I know Roglic had a bit of time off before the Tour and only did a week but then went to the Olympics, but Bernal has been rested up since the Giro, although he did Burgos and probably needed it.

Roglic usually has issues in Week 3. Bernal started to go off in Week 3 in the Giro but not to a great extent.

The obvious 2 contenders but outside of them Landa looked great in the lead up to the Giro, had his crash and came back to win Burgos.

Bernal with back issues, Roglic a crash magnet lately, Carapaz absolutely burned from TdF and Olympics, could Landa be the guy ?😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I shall be creating a Velogames league for the Vuelta, I'll post details today.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

League Name: Belt of spanners 2021

League Code: 866227521

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Apologies if already asked - any Irish riders down for this year's edition?? Doesn't look like Nico or Dan listed with their teams, Sam obviously out for season and Dunbar's bad luck continues with Covid seemingly dashing whatever hopes he had.

A pity, cos Nico always goes well there, Dan had a great 2020 Vuelta and doesn't seem to have gotten going this year at all.

Nico and Mullen are in Poland this week, would be a bit of an ask for Dan having the Tour and Giro in him already this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Has the points classification changed in the Vuelta this year? Normally, points are awarded equally among the stages despite the terrain meaning a pure sprinter never wins the green jersey and it is normally the GC winner or a puncheur who takes it. This differs from the system in the Tour and Giro.

There seems to be mixed reports online about any revision and I notice Paddy Power have some pure sprinters down as the favourites to win green which would suggest that they know something that I don't!

Yeah not seeing much about a change, the official site just says :

"POINTS GENERAL CLASSIFICATION

Jersey for the rider that occupies first place in the points classification in accordance with the position obtained in each of the completed stages. Riders will accumulate points depending on their positions at the end of each stage, as well as during intermediate sprints."

They don't change the points awarded based on the stage type normally. Still sticks in my craw that in 2017 Froome sprinted for it on the last day to deny Trentin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,226 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It wont change until Spain gets a good sprinter and Valverde retires

It was this article on cyclist.co.uk that got me thinking, that coupled with PP having Demare, Philipsen and Jacobsen as the top 3 favourites for the jersey:

It goes on to state:

"The Vuelta is normally a miserable hunting ground for pure sprinters, but with an uncharacteristically large number of flatter stages the race this year might finally also tempt those fast men who’ve something left in the tank heading towards the end of the season, especially with a rejigging of the points classification."

It's now 50 points for a sprint stage win, 30 for a transition stage and 20 for a mountain stage/time trial.

• Advertisement

Oh that is something, where did you see that ken?

These two usually reliable Dutch websites (translate needed).

Both claim there is an updated version of the roadbook that's not yet on the Vuelta website.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭MangleBadger

listening to the Latern Rouge podcast and they mentioned 2 road books doing the rounds. 1 with the usual vuelta points scoring and 1 with an updated more tour like points system.

It's incredible that with only 2 days to go there hasn't been an official statement from the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Carapaz's new bike looks a bit bling

OK - points awarded actually clarified in the rule book (pg. 259) available on La Vuelta website:

Similar to what red_ken mentioned - 50 for flat stage win, 30 hill win, 20 mountain/TT win, 20 points for intermediate sprint win.

Should add a bit more spice to the contest this year.

He must be really happy with his Olympic bronze medal…:

they/them/theirs

This is going to be Fabio Aru's last race before retiring it seems. Only 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,226 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He has looked like a guy who didn't like being on his bike for a long time now. Shades of Andy Schleck about him. You would never think looking at him now that he won a Vuelta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

Advertisement