Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

German Volume training. 10 x 10

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Cill94

You’re not a beginner but you could definitely gain plenty of strength and muscle by just following any of the basic programmes we’ve mentioned and cleaning up the diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭obi604

yeah, my diet is the thing thats been killing me. so will rally focus on it

II will probably do the the Greyskull LP routine

Went to the gym tonight to get a feel for this Greyskull LP routine and to help me try and calculate my starting weights etc and get the hang of what the hell im supposed to do :)

So high level, seems 3 days a week

Day 1

a) Bench x5, bench x5, bench x5+

b) Squat x5, squat x5, squat x5+

Day 2

a )Overhead press x5, Overhead press x5, Overhead press x5+

b )Dead lift x5 + (seems no prior dead-lifts here)

Day 3

Silly Questions:

-Where do the 'plugins' fit. e.g. For day 1 would it be between a) and b) and then add another after b)

-For my goals (beach bod) what are the best plugins to do? And when?

-Do i need to focus on slow tempo here or just standard tempo

-For the '5+' what figure should this be , like if doing 13, is this too much?

-Downloaded the grey skull app. It has 90 seconds between each set if easy and 3 minutes if hard, I know just a default setting in the app, but is this an ok guideline to follow

Sorry for all the questions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

On the deadlift day remember that although you might only do one set, as you add weight each week that will eventually become very taxing. Adequately warm up on it first too, a number of sets.

For “beach bod”-

Appropriate tempo is always worth shooting for, and try to push the AMRAP last set.

On the AMRAP just push it, the number is what it is. If you got 13 it’s ok, if you got 20 starting weight you picked is too light, but it will all come out in the wash as you add weight.

90 seconds rest is fine early on.

For plug ins given your goals it is likely personal, where are you keen to add mass(?). The following list is what the Greyskull author offers:-

Curl variants 2x10-12

Row 2x6-8

Chins 2 sets (If weighted then 6-8)

Dips (As above)

Cable arm movements 2x10-12

You don’t do all of these, you choose 2-3 of them and you put them somewhere appropriate in your training week. If you pick a row don’t do it after your deadlifts etc

In Greyskull the philosophy is you really push whichever of these you do. On the curls if it’s only 2 sets then you would warm up on the curl first and then do 2 heavy (but with good form) sets, close to failure, and where you really really emphasise the negative. And you would try to keep progressing that.

Whatever the app is that’s fine but I would encourage you to read a book or breakdown of the program ideally.

Personally I always did biceps, a tricep movement, pull ups and the neck curls. I also ideally like more shoulder and back work but this is a linear progress and it’s not feasible to just keep bolting things on to it without sabotaging main lifts.

Thanks for that detailed reply.

I think I’d like to add a bicep and tricep in to the routine

to include these 2, where would I plug them in. Would I do each day with biceps and triceps or would they have a day on their own ?

• Advertisement

There are a few ways to do it.

You're obviously alternating your bench and press i.e your first week you bench twice with press in the middle, but your second week you press twice with bench in the middle (And squats and deads don't change).

So what a lot of people do is they alternate their assistance also, and put it in after the first big movement. So you might alternate chins and curls, as explained in the "Greyskull LP with arms" set out here ( https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/greyskull-lp/ ). The popular "Phrak's variant" alternates chins and rows, but not sure it's popularity is merited really ( http://i.stack.imgur.com/OUcEY.png ).

It's several years since I did Greyskull ... I think I did the alternating chins and curls BUT I also threw in a couple of sets or a rest/pause set of tricep extensions on the curl days. If you do curls for big aesthetic arms, then direct tricep work is hard to beat for achieving that goal.

Must admit that now I always put my accessories at the end, I wouldn't sandwich them in between the compound movements. I can't remember if Greyskull had a rationale for that to be honest.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Thanks again black sheep !!

How does the below look as a start

I’m not sure how many sets and reps I should be doing for c) and d)

**Week 1**

Day 1 

c) curls 2 x 10

d) cable rope tricep extensions 2 x 10

Day 2

a )Overhead press x5, Overhead press x5, Overhead press x5+

b )Dead lift x5 +

c) curls 2 x 10

Day 3

c) curls 2 x 10

**Week 2**

Day 1 

a) Overhead press x5, overhead press x5, overhead press x5+

c) chin ups 2 x 10

d) tricep dips 2 x 10

Day 2

a )Bench x5, Bench x5, Bench5+

b )Dead lift x5 +

c) chin ups 2 x 10

d) tricep dips 2 x 10

Day 3

c) chin ups 2 x 10

d) tricep dips 2 x 10

I wouldn’t keep repeating the same bicep and tricep work, I would do your arm training one workout and then next workout do something else… chins, pull downs, whatever. Alternate it like set out in the examples I gave. If you’re not clear just read the Greyskull source material is handiest.

For tricep cable work higher reps seem to work best, as high as 15-20. Things like French press, lying tricep extensions etc then lower reps maybe.

When you say tricep dips if you mean full dips great. If they are bench dips (arms behind you, feet out etc) I would swap them out.

How do ye manage with the progressions. Seems to be very very specific as below. My gyms lowest weight is 1.25kg which means I’m not sticking to the plan and essentially going twice the recommended weight each time bench and press

does this matter that much?

or any hacks to get round it

• Bench Press and Overhead Press: 2.5 pounds
    • Squats and Deadlifts: 5 pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

get some wrist weights and put them on the bar, they either come in 1kg or 1/2kg

Post edited by silverharp on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just wait until you can do 10 reps at a weight before adding the 2.5kg.

On the deadlift and squat 2.5kg progressions are fine. On the press you probably do need to buy fractional plates - they’re pretty cheap online - will allow you to add smaller increments. Cheap iron ones are fine, in 0.5 and 0.25 even.

With a linear progress like this once you are a few months in the AMRAP last sets of 5 become harder and eventually you will just start adding weight and settling for your 5s.

How to reset and squeeze out the most out of a linear progress is a topic for another day, I would run it for a few months and worry about that then.

When you start this LP I would use a very conservative set of numbers, forget what you think your current maxes are for now. Start light, it will get heavy pretty quick.

lets say 85 kg is current 1rm. Would I start with about 50kg? This seems very light but I guess wont be long adding to it

Better err on the lighter side. There’s an AMRAP set to do a lot of work on. And after the first few months 50kg will be long gone due to adding weight each workout.

If it is far too easy you can jump 5kg increments but based on your questions I would say go light and follow the program..

Thanks, patience is best.

how long should the greyskull programme last roughly?

Thoughts on this one

Where would I be best to plugin triceps and back?

(Sorry about formatting , new boards site wont let me do without all the stupid white spaces. )

Week 1

Day 1

b) curls 2 x12

c) Squat x5, squat x5, squat x5+

Day 2

a)Overhead press x5, Overhead press x5, Overhead press x5+

b) chinups 2x8

b )Dead lift x5 +

Day 3

b) curls 2 x12

Week 2

Day 1

b) Chinups 2x8

Day 2

a )Bench x5, Bench x5, Bench5+

b) curls 2x12

b )Dead lift x5 +

Day 3

b) Chinups 2x8

You could do more back work after your chins. A higher rep horizontal row or whatever.

BUT don’t add too much or else you are going to shorten your LP duration if it takes too much out of you. To be honest it’s probably important to move your accessories to after your squats if you do that.

How long an LP lasts depends on the trainee… Age, diet, athleticism, adherence to the program, understanding of how to really run it out.

I don’t want to put a number on it but certainly several months.

thanks. Where would be best to add triceps.

and then core stuff like ab wheel

• Advertisement

Might be worth purchasing the book.

Try it and see how you go. The accessories aren’t that important in a program like this, keep your focus on the main lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tribeshift

I've read a lot about this form of training and am looking to incorporate it into my training.

Advertisement