Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PCR Tests- HSE's lack of faith?

• 09-08-2021 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

There seems to be a lot of claims on social media that PCR tests are not fit for the detection of covid and that Covid rates are actually much lower than is reported as a result of said tests. I thought these claims were utter nonsense until today.... After having a PCR test I was given a HSE pamphlet saying and I quote "The Coronavirus testing method used cannot be guaranteed by the HSE as accurate, up-to-date, reliable, error-free, suitable, effective, or as having any specific result or outcome". Seriously!?!?!?!?! Now I feel like a right eejit allowing that swab to be shoved up my nose and down my throat! :-(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no test which is 100% accurate, and if they didn't tell people that there'd be uproar

The usual claims on social media are, as always, scutter through and though though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

But no medical test is really ever 100% accurate so they must be very careful to leave you know that and that false positives and false negatives can and do occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 realtabeag00

I appreciate no test is ever 100% and they have to cover their backs. But of all the tests I have had performed by the HSE I've never had one that they've so blatantly told me they have next to faith in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 33 realtabeag00

I appreciate no test is ever 100% and they have to cover their backs. But of all the tests I have had performed by the HSE I've never had one that they've so blatantly told me they have next to faith in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a legal disclaimer so that if you get a negative test and then end up in ICU with Covid, you can't sue the HSE for the false negative. Or if you get a false positive and have to cancel a €10k holiday booking. Don't read any more than that into it.

There's a lot of nonsense on social media. On Twitter there are always a string of people posting suspiciously similar information about PCR effectiveness and cycles.

You know that they're vomiting this from Facebook and if you ask them what a PCR test is, how it works, and the relevance of cycles, they wouldn't have a rashers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Honestly, how did you read the HSE's info and come to the conclusion that they have no faith in it?

PCR is the absolute best way to detect Covid. However, a human had to administer the test, a human has to run the analysis and a human has to enter the results into the system. Even if the test itself is 99.99999% accurate, every time a human gets involved, you're introducing possibility of error.

And with the variable incubation period of Covid, you could be correctly negative one day and correctly positive the following day - but it would appear as an error.

The HSE have to cover themselves because this is Ireland and there are always lawsuits being planned somewhere.

Advertisement