Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OH Press replacement

• 27-07-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

Currently doing a strength program that involves OH press but anytime it gets to around 45-50kg I damage the bone at the top of my spine and I can barely turn my head to the left. Not sure if anyone has had this before? I will get it checked out at some stage. It doesn't bother at all when I do other exercised.

Can anyone advise me on the best replacement for OH Press to incorporate into the routine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Augme

Difficult to suggest alternatives without knowing what causes the problem for OH press.

Common alternatives for OH press are the dumbbell version, Arnold press, incline bench and handstand push up(pike push up for a easer version).

I'd focus on figuring out what the problem with the OH press is first though, as any of the above movements could just make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

I don't seem to have the same issue with dumbbells or any other similar exercise for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

There may be a simple technical fix for this. Find a coach, in person or on line, or post a video for form check.

Sub in any other OH pressing movement in the meantime though, Seated DB press, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Cill94

I’ve done this to my neck a couple of times on OHP and it was just from going too heavy.

Maybe just try hit some rep records at 40 before moving up.

What could cause this other than - most likely - the OP doing something weird with their neck position during the lift though … Most people can max out presses regularly without neck issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is another version, a wall press, not tried it or ever seen anyone to it but it looks like a fun accessory

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Technique obviously matters for how much the neck is taxed, but if that was the main problem then weights lighter than 45 would cause him issues too.

Neck strains on press are actually not that uncommon. Decent bit of neck musculature being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Seems like that could be changed being done on a the smith machine instead of trying to roll a barbell up a wall

Mountain Dog / JM is normally legit but yeah this is not a movement likely to catch on.

Even bumpers can mark up a wall by the way, I wouldn’t be that happy seeing someone do this on my walls.

I did find it amusing that he said dont do it against mirrors, like someone did somewhere lol . If the gym walls were concrete blocks I wouldnt see an issue though a Smith Machine would probably work too

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

He mentions behind the neck pressing, but actually he has her pressing in the scapular plane, which is more like a conventional press than behind the neck. Alludes to it himself, keeping the bar a little in front. To me all the wall adds in is some extra stability which I’m a fan of if the intention is hypertrophy, but overall this movement is just unnecessarily maverick, DBs and an adjustable bench or any kind of machine press would be more widely available, easier on the walls and generally a more proven option. You can press on a frontal plane OR scapular plane with DBs but I’d always say scapular plane for shoulder health.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭conor678

Two thing that works for me with OH press alternatives is:

1. Dumbell instead of barbell. This allows me to rotate the handles at a slight angle which takes strain off my shoulders. Alternatively log press or Swiss bar press offers a different hand angle which slacks off my shoulder. Kettlebells work too to a certain degree.

2. Use a land mine for a Viking type press thing. There's some good videos of this. Can do kneeling one arm ones too to improve angles and leverage.

Props to the John meadows video. Has some great stuff for alternatives.

Landmine OHP got me though lockdown, I didnt have the equipment to do proper bench pressing to boot, my OHP is relatively much better than last year. So might be a good one if the standard one is causing pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've had a little niggle in my shoulder that only bothers me when pressing overhead.

DB pressing gives me more scope to adjust the movement so that it isn't sore.

John Meadows dead, sadly. Only recently we talked about his wall press video here.

It's terrible. Seemed like a genuinely good person who helped and inspired lot of people. RIP

Advertisement