Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ragwort

• 09-08-2021 8:30am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a tip on ragworth, take photos of where there is ragworth on your farm now and store the pictures in one file.then next April you will be able to check exactly where needs to be sprayed

Post edited by greysides on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Problem is though there wasn't a chance around here to spray last spring so things have deteriorated. Hopefully next spring will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Constant battle.

Might get out after work, ground should be soft enough to let them out easy pulling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

We wouldn't have any ragworth across owned or rented land.any time it's seen its pulled and dosent get a foothold then.its not like we don't have plenty nettles and docks but the hatred of it has been passed down from our mother and now our family has it as well.tractor stopped anywhere its its seen and pulled.that said pulling is a waste of time in any quantities and spraying is the only job but its too late when it's obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Have spent years pulling the rotten stuff, thankfully I have none on any of the land at the minute, but there is some in the road verges which I am now in the process of pulling, i have this nearly all removed too, but how far past your boundary do you need to go to keep it out of you land. See a field beside me that there was none in a few years back and now there is load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

Same as that, you just have to keep on top of it all the time. On one piece of land away from the main block I’m joining another farmer on 3 sides and at this time of year his place is a sea of yellow. You can just about see the backs of his 180 dairy cows when they are standing up grazing in it.

I’ve drystock in my land and every day when I’m there herding I’d be looking around and pulling out anything I see. I assume a lot of the seeds would be travelling in the wind at this time of year so it is very annoying to be surrounded by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Ragwort is more plentiful here this year. Wrenched my left shoulder pulling it yesterday, still very painful. Bought a ragfork last year, the short handle is definitely not for a 5'9", neither is pulling it. Some ragwort was cut down during the dry spell, it has recovered and flowering on the shorter stems. It is such a resilient plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭James2020App

A bit of an amateurs question here but would topping ragwort do more harm than good?

Also the same question for thistles will topping it help?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

My understanding is that cutting Ragwort means while it won't flower this year, it stays alive over the winter to put up several flowering shoots next year.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

We pulled a 6 acre field over the last 10 days. It was supposed to be sprayed in the spring. Did half an hour a day. At least you can see some progress for what you're at

After cutting it recovers enough to flower lower down on new side shoots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Cutting it is dangerous as if not removed it becomes palatable and they will eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭amacca

This.............as it rots it becomes attractive to eat and its toxic to cattle...builds up in their system and they slowly waste away/dont thrive etc...topping is a pain in the hole as you cant let them graze it until its well gone and even then you are nervous. Myself and the dad pulled 14 acres acres badly infested with the stuff a long time ago, it took 3 years circling back to get it to manageable levels...theres only about 10/20 of the bastards per year in the place now.

if you can top and spray the place and you dont need to let stock in for a long time then thats less labour intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭James2020App

Thanks on the ragwort advice, what about thistles, for some reason one of the fields this year has become overrun with them?

I will be spraying them in Spring of next year, so any point in topping them now in the backend?

Yea. We’ve farms along us that do nothing and it’s a serious crop at moment, our fields along these farms need constant vigilance. I see one with maybe a dozen plants this year that hasn’t had any in years. Hopefully pull them later.

we’re down to a tiny fraction of what it was here years ago but that’s taken constant work.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Topping is ok for thistles, infact when the cut thistle wilts the cattle will eat them up.

Topping ragwort is not a great idea. You'd get away with it earlier in the year but when it is at the yellow flower stage its more toxic to cattle (not that they would eat them if there's plenty grass). The main problem with topping ragwort at this time of year and especially in a wet spell is the cuttings will make roots so you end up with 2 plants where there was just one

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Did the very same here, finished it off Saturday great satisfaction when you look back and it all cleared..I took my time and dug up any roots where the stalk was broke, hope it won't be as bad next year. It's getting better every year but still had 2 loader buckets in that 3 acre field.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ragwort is biennial. It flowers, seeds and dies in the second year. You might not even casually notice it in its first year as it doesn't grow any sort of a tall stem at all. Cutting it can turn it into a short lived perennial. Up to 5 years.

i don’t think it dies after the second year though. Yes it doesn’t flower in it’s first year.

topping also disturbs the hormones in the plant changing it’s growth characteristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

ok to spray it at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Rented a field crawling with ragwort. In April/ May the following year , sprayed it all with forefront and have Zero ragwort Now . Not too difficult to get rid of if you can get a sprayer in

• Advertisement

No. You either spray in spring at the rosette stage or in September/October. No frost to be forecast as it hampers kill. Spring this year didn't lend itself well to spraying

Only if it is at the rosette stage. I'll wait for a dry spell in Sept/Oct to spray the regrowth/newly seeded ones. Ragwort, unlike grass, continues growing throughout the winter. I don't want an infestation of overwintering ragwort using up soil nutrients.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you leave it alone to flower and seed it will die after the second season. Cutting it interrupts that normal cycle and can cause it to come back again though.

I mean you'll see it in the same spots for years. But that is likely due to other seeds. When it dies after seeding, it creates space to allow it's seeds to grow (the ones that fall close by)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

We sprayed in March, thought it was too cold but zero ragworth after it. Hate pulling ragworth

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Been tipping away at it the last few days, one field a day. Under electric fences where it was never topped seems to be the worst places. Looks to me that if it was cut a few times and keep cattle out afterwards it can be controlled.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Parents were visiting relatives down the country this last couple of days. My uncle was telling my dad of 2 local farmer brothers who started to feel unwell. Tired and no energy. They went to the doctor. He examined them and then looked at their hands. They were yellow. He asked them had they been pulling ragwort. They said yes the place is full of them. Their hands were all cracks and the poison had affected their livers. He told them they'd be lucky to survive. Wear gloves...

Took a pic of the last one standing - I will never again put myself through this torture..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Advertisement

Advertisement