Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Did Men have kids at aged 60 in the 1800s?

• 08-08-2021 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I've a grandfather who married at 41 had his last child at aged 60 in Ireland. Was that the done thing back then or rare?

Comments

Well there was a lot of second marriages back then and greater differences in ages as well. The men often being older.

the reason was not divorce but death, often in childbirth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Also, a lot of men would have waited to have a farm before marrying so they could support a family, so they'd marry younger women. It's certainly possible.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

My most colourful ancestor was my GGG Grandfather. My GGG Grandmother died and some years later at age 60 he remarried, to a twenty year old, they had ten children in ten years and then she died, presumably of exhaustion! He lived on well into his eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

DId men have kids at 60 in the 1800s, na no way, maybe one or two, but not 1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Fav trivia: The 10th President of the USA, John Tyler (of "Tippecanoe and Tyler, too" fame), President of the US from 1841-1845 has a grandson who is alive today. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/grandson-10th-president-john-tyler-dies-180975992/

He married twice, to his second wife when Tyler was 54 years old and his wife Julia 24. His first wife died. The Tyler's had 7 children, the last one born in 1860.

One of his sons by Tyler's second wife also was a widower who remarried a much younger woman (35 years his junior) in 1921 and went on to have 3 children, one of whom born in 1928 is still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I don't know if this counts but my GG grandmother's brother, Patrick Kelly, of Clonard, Co Meath, born 1846, married late. He married at age 47, having got the farm as all his siblings had emigrated. His wife was much younger, born 1864. They had four children, the last born in 1907 when Patrick was 60.

Advertisement