Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you concerned about the destruction of the natural world and climate change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Realistically, can anything be done at this stage? We've had our chance and we seem to be making a mess of things. I don't see anything changing in the future. The planet is probably better of without humans, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

There is no possible way to fend off climate change, the only way you can fend off climate change is to completely destroy the planet into nothingness. Why would any-one want to fend off climate change in the first place? without it there would be no life on this planet. Climate change is the most natural thing to happen on any livable planet. The climate has been changing drastically even before human beings existed, let it do its natural thing, we will adapt as usual as we always have through the ages.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

Humans adapting to climate change in history usually meant the ending of civilisations. For the first time in a long time we may be looking at a planet wide event.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,777 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What ? I’m not saying do nothing. The aviation industry is doing much to pollute less, billions have been invested by the likes of Boeing and airbus to design more fuel efficient and greener aircraft, from an airline perspective routes flown are planned with fuel efficiency as a priority ok for cost but also the environment.... massive investments from airlines into airside vehicles for ground handling... electric or hybrid...

if only as many other industries were of the same, attitude, mindset and determination... but always an easy target... the big bad airplanes, never mind taking a look at every industrial estate here, business who can much easily do more but do little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Greens here are only clapping the rollout of a handful of charging points for cars only affordable or practical for elites just like themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yet the infant Free State built a cutting edge for that time hydroelectric scheme that's still operating when they had barely two pennies to rub together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Famines are a certainty. Their impact will be determined by how fast we modernise agriculture and encourage resilience. Fortunately crop yields have been increasing year after the year globally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Clontarf is not a good example,it would have impacted house values in a well heeled area with ties to government, most at risk areas aren't prime real estate so objections will be unlikely,

think the biggest issue is that doing something solid like building a sea wall or creating proper drainage looks like mankind is adapting to an issue and that doesn't suit the Green agenda

Not unless it's a war situation, the chances of famine in the Northern hemisphere is highly unlikely ,the same for drought , wealthy countries can grow everything under glass if they have to and desalination plants can supply water,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We have a smaller population than many Chinese cities, it's only concerned climate chastigators who want to peddle the nonsense that we matter. Its total impact that matters, not per head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't see why my personal situation is relevant but I never owned a car to get rid of, never mind 2. My TV is something my brother gave me when he moved away 10 years ago.

I don't see the point on trying to attack the messengers when these subjects come up. I didn't create this society of mega consumers, but I can see that everything is heading in the wrong direction.

Do you know how spectacularly wrong people have been at making that sort of prediction? At least 50 years and counting.

“Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born,” wrote Paul Ehrlich in a 1969 essay titled “Eco-Catastrophe! “By…[1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.”6. Ehrlich sketched out his most alarmist scenario for the 1970 Earth Day issue of The Progressive, assuring readers that between 1980 and 1989, some 4 billion people, including 65 million Americans, would perish in the “Great Die-Off.”

7. “It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” declared Denis Hayes, the chief organizer for Earth Day, in the Spring 1970 issue of The Living Wilderness.

8. Peter Gunter, a North Texas State University professor, wrote in 1970, “Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.” https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/18-spectacularly-wrong-predictions-made-around-the-time-of-first-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Carbon has to be taken out of the air. Simple as that,if there is much chance of reversing the damage to our climate. Anyway its all well and good saying habitats need to be restored etc. I don't see many around the world rushing to do it.

Population is a big problem. Difficult to know what to do about that. Unless no couple is allowed have more then 2 or 3 kids, after which they have to be sterilised. Perhaps a bit too draconian for many though.

We can't just keep saying things will cost jobs though, the airline industry doesn't need to be as big as it is, if we didn't fly as much and had less routes. Maybe everyone doesn't need to work, or should do work in their communities rather than for big companies. UBI is something that should be looked at. Food, accommodation, and some kind of purpose for citizens should come first, so how do we provide all that without relying on rampant consumerism?

Assuming you are employed, I vote to eliminate your source of employment, for the greater good, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Being Brazilian : no. To get to my town I have to cross hours of forests, something very rare in Europe, and totally absent in Ireland.

You're quoting words from years ago, surely climate science and tech has evolved to be a lot more accurate by now?

We'll see what this report says on Monday.

Unfortunately Brazil is heading in the way of Ireland day by day, clearing land for agriculture

Are you saying all jobs should continue no matter what they are? Whalers? Coal miners? Poachers in Africa?

• Advertisement

You are kidding yourself. The SR71 was designed with slide rulers in the 1950's and first flew in 1964. The Concorde was designed with slide rulers and first flew in 1969. Back in the 70's, people actually landed and walked on the moon. Science and tech have not evolved as much as you think and were also far better than you seem to be giving credit for.

What is your ‘credible ‘ source or expertise on the airline industry not needing to be as big as it is ? Well ? :)

id beg to differ..

Approximate World Population :

2010 : 6.956 billion

2020 : 7.794 billion

goods as well as people need to travel... therefore in a decade that has seen the planet gain and extra almost 800 million inhabitants, due to better healthcare and a plethora of other reasons, they and the services and goods that they need , that we need , needs a way to get around this planet.

Average telly uses about 25watts an hour, be a long time doing any harm

Do we really need to be taking multiple city breaks or flying for business meetings etc? I'm just saying, it's a big emitter of co2, so maybe we shouldn't be growing it indefinitely.

It's just one of many things that need to be looked at, there is no easy way to change.

Remembering something from about 15 years ago, there used to be around 6000 measuring stations around the world, think its something over 2000 now, at the time there were a few photos of some in questionable locations, in my opinion some of the data being used for comparison might not be as reliable as some think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm more concerned about extinctions and bio diversity destruction than about climate change.

I do realise the latter affects the former, but I'm more concerned about conspicuous consumption and environmental pollution.

Do I think climate change is anthropogenic? Not entirely. I think we've exaggerated a cyclical phenomenon and I think its already past too late to change our contribution to it, which is to say, what will happen will happen. I do think we need to make our energy and agriculture far more sustainable to cope in the future though. And also to reduce global dependence on oil generally, which is a tool of mass inequality and ransom.

As some coasts flood, some people will move. As some deserts expand, other areas will become wet and fertile.

The human population will likely peak in 2100 or so anyway because of societal and technological advancements, but we'll all be dead. If humanity drops to 6 billion or 5 billion in another century after that, so be it, a better and more enlightened civilisation will live in better harmony with the rest of the natural world and the planet itself.

Id be far more worried about the ongoing safety of nuclear armed countries, because only 2 or 3 of them seem to be entirely responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Relative to all the various problems we could potentially face, I genuinely believe most of the effects of climate change may actually be quite manageable.

Even sea-level rise is something that will happen excruciatingly slowly, with affected areas flooding only briefly during the highest tides and most favourable weather conditions. It's not something that will just suddenly surprise us, but take decades to evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

One reason I moved to Ireland 20 years ago was that there are no nuclear power plants.

Even if we ignore the environmental impact of the Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and Fukushima accidents - and the taxpayer's cost to try to fix it - nuclear power is nonsensical from a purely economical point of view.

The part that nuclear power companies never really address is the long term cost of keeping the nuclear waste safe. If you have a half life of 50,000 years, waiting till the radiation of waste is reduced to a quarter takes 100,000 years. If you consider hiring even a small staff, to keep an eye on things, and make sure there are no leaks, 100,000 years is a long time. The expectation of nuclear power companies is that tax payers cover the long term cost, instead of doing a reasonable price calculation from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The gradual change theory. Many say that change comes all of a sudden, like flipping a switch. Some ice cores are said to show prehistoric massive change in summer temperatures within a year!

• Advertisement

we probably need holidays... yes.

business meetings ? Some yes, some no... lots of companies are cutting down on meetings I know my last job was zooming, but training still traveling.

express and non express global freight and cargo is growing... there are more dedicated cargo flights across this planet now then ever before. Pre covid anyway.

Ireland an island nation is reliant on goods that when require importing and exporting quickly or even just efficiently are all using air options..a lot is things that are essential like medical products and devices. at a guesstimate there is probably daily about average air ‘capacity’ of about 350-400 tonnes of cargo on both passenger and cargo airlines out of Dublin alone...

Advertisement