Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you concerned about the destruction of the natural world and climate change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why do we, the current inhabitants of this planet, think that we are the smartest ?

Why do we think that future generations will not be able to handle the world they live in.

Climate change is inevitable, and has been happening for billions of years, and it will continue to happen.

It has had a destructive effect on species for billions of years.

So why don't we stop thinking we are the smartest and can control the planet, and get on with living our lives and those that come after us will get on with living theirs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

People care about climate change etc until they are asked to do something themselves, or if there will be a cost to their time, or their family, or their job, or their money. Then the wall of "someone else can do it" goes up. It's all human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So you don't believe in man made climate change, fine.

What about the fact we are poisoning our water supplies, our oceans, wiping out infects and sea life? It doesn't concern you? Not really fair on future generations is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Slow changes usually not sudden ones. If we are capable of leaving future generations a better world than we probably will leave them then surely we should.

I think you are the only one claiming the current generation believes it is the smartest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,769 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It brings home just how much ‘democracy’ is an illusion.

we might have a say in ‘who’ is in power to an extent but we have increasingly less and less say and influence as regards what happens when they are IN power.

the corporations and business leaders are now trying to call the shots. Seen it coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I totally believe in man made climate change.

And I also believe that if the north Atlantic drift disappeared and we in Ireland ended up with a climate more similar to other places at our latitude that the people living on this island would be smart enough to know how to adapt to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

Carbon is a symptom not the root cause of the problem. That is why focusing on carbon is counterproductive. If the real issues are dealt with then the carbon content of the atmosphere will reduce.

Ok that's pretty ridiculous. If that did happen we'd end up with a similar climate to Newfoundland which has a bigger area than Ireland but only 500,000 people. I'm sure those that would remain in Ireland in the long run if our climate became more a continental boreal climate would adapt but that doesn't mean we should want that as an outcome

Sorry, I thought you were dismissing it. I partially agree with you in that case. It is an outcome of over consumption. Tbh it has been so useful to us. It's hard to imagine our growth over the past two centuries without fossil fuels. I agree that we need to also focus on preserving habitats etc. but I think we carbon dioxide (and methane and nitrous oxides) are key pollutants we are producing.

The thing is, the over consumption has been forced on us. My parents had nothing when kids but had happy childhoods in the 50s and 60s.

Now it's one click deliveries from Ali Baba and Amazon. Pollutant rubbish we don't need.

I try to be conscious of everything i buy, i sometimes wish I wasn't though.

How do we push back against this tide?

• Advertisement

Palm oil is one of the things that annoys me. As far as I know it has a dreadful impact in equatorial countries environments but it is so hard to avoid it in everyday products.

I buy bars of soap made entirely from olive oil. If you keep your food simple it can be avoided. But yes it's so sad how those plantations are replacing rain forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They've pretty similar summer's and better winters. I think you're overestimating a population exodus based on that.

I have been there, it's pretty barren, Ireland's beef and dairy farming would be kaput for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Billcarson

100% agree. We need new technologies to really tackle the issue. The size of the ever increasing human population which is effectively out of control is a big elephant in the room.

Yes not a huge amount of agriculture there bit if you're against pollution that's no bad thing. Population has way more factors then just the weather. We've a huge service industry here that wouldn't cease to exist because of proper winters.

Perhaps but it depends where in the province you are I think. The island part is more agreeable but with colder winters but I think Labrador gets pretty awful. I still don't see why you would want it as a climate when we have a more agreeable climate now (I wouldn't mind a few more dry days but it'll do).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I share concerns about habitat destruction and climate change.

It seems to me that we as a species are not good at long term planning. Even scientific progress needs an immediate benefit and use. Science and technology progress in relation to immediate need. The rate of covid vaccine development is case in point.

This actually gives me hope. When we are eventually faced with the end of fossil fuels alternative technology will progress at a faster rate.

Look at how wars accelerate technology. Would the advances in nuclear energy development have occurred as quickly if there wasn't an immediate need for an atomic bomb.

Basically I think our ingenuity, will mitigate future hardships but it is an indictment of the human condition that we wait until damage is done.

the same mindset as I'll stop smoking if a tumour develops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ax530

Government s measure success by consumers spending... The more stuff people buying the better, no money to be made from a small self sufficient community which must embrace biodiversity to survive.

The aim of world markets is supplies to pass through as many hands, factories points of payments and tax as possible. This ended up with greater supply, choice, lower standard produce and money creation. On the other hand it also damages environment and health.

Carbon taxes will not help. Amazon building huge windfarm in one area to counteract the damage a data center has done somewhere else will create carbon neutral, jobs, wealth but end of day won't help environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

We don’t need new technologies, we have a proven system for carbon capture. Protect and restore habitats and the carbon will be captured. Inventing machines to pull carbon out of the air is madness.

Also, sorting out the carbon content of the atmosphere without tackling reduction of habitats, pollution and the excessive population, still means the planet will be destroyed.

I think the collapse of the gulf stream would have an impact on their climate as well, possibly making it even colder. So in reality, who knows how harsh our winters would become.

But to your second point I would love if we had winters similar to North East America. I travel to ski and generally enjoy proper winters, similar to how most of us travel to enjoy decent summer weather. Our damp miserable winters are awful imo.

On the carbon front I just hope we can find some chemical process that can lock it away or precipate it to the bottom of the ocean without having a pile of unintended side effects or taking a pile of energy itself. I don't think a net zero world is possible without carbon capture since we are so dependent on it.

It looks like we will be able to decarbonise electricity generation pretty quickly and a lot of transport also but it is harder to see how we'll get around some of the other sectors.

We don't even tax aviation fuel, which is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

No. Im not worried. I never tend to worry much about things I can do next to nothing about.

Well I agree a bit with your perfect climate. I wish we had a few more autumnal weeks, a few genuinely wintery weeks with dry cold and a drier summer. The constant gloom here and difficulty planning outdoor hobbies is a bit depressing at time

Which would just increase airfares for us plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

The Guardian reported this week that the collapse of the Gulf Stream may be imminent, not something that's far off in the future. Results would be disastrous.

When it comes to taking action to fight against climate change, waiting for governments to act is not an option. Every personal contribution, however small, is important. Even if it annoys your neighbours, like this:

• Advertisement

If I could tax the hell out of private jet use and taking helicopter trips to get to the golf course I would.

Advertisement