Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are all those small-wheeled bikes you see the cool kids using in Dublin?

• 06-08-2021 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭

These appear to be the new fashion for the grey jogger teeny-boppers.. see em everywhere.

What's so "speshul" about them?

Post edited by magicbastarder on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

They're electric powered, no push off needed. But on the face of it they "appear" as if they aren't.

Are these the Fiido ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Little scobe shot out of a driveway in front of me today, gave the fingers and scooted off.

Could have totaled him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ah so minimal effort to get around and scobe 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Would get very warm & sweaty in winter under all that canada goose & black north face gear if they had to put in effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I'm glad to see youngsters on bikes, whatever the fashion - and I've lived through many, many different bike fashions.

Edit: I've chatted to a few of these young lads and they were perfectly nice and polite and discussed their bikes with me happily like every other cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm curious OP to the type of bike you mean..can you post a pic as an example

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he's almost certainly talking about fiido bikes.

https://www.fiido.com

Curious why they suddenly took off this year. Some YouTube influencer?

Electric bikes have been around for yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Chinese manufacturer that started selling them into US and EU in 2020.

I suppose the battery tech has fallen in price and dramatically improved in the last few years.

• Advertisement

The basic Fiido's go for around 550. 2 weeks dole for an honest lad or small change to a dishonest one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's all schoolkids - 16 or thereabouts - i see on them around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

3 apprentices in our company got them on bike to work scheme, working on a hotel site in Dublin City centre. Cost €580 each. So not all scobies in fairness.

mod note - i changed the thread title on that principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

And they can be chipped now too, uber eats guy told me his one goes 48kph. Madness, deathtraps.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has the dole increased dramatically, or did you miss out a week in your calculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This is on sale for €599 with free delivery, and there is a code floating around somewhere to get it discounted to €560.

65kph! :eek: That's a proper death trap. The battery looks like a water bottle holder. Not a bad looking bike to be fair (imo) without the motor.

The guy in the video says there is an electric motor starter in the box that allows you to turn it on, and no need to pedal, just rotate the grip. It's inside the box separate because 'some countries don't allow the motor to be installed'... in other words, illegal or at best, massive safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Nope. The wording on the title is very confusing - it could do with some punctuation - but when you dissect it, what it actually says is:

25km/h Max speed

up to 65km Max Range

• Advertisement

Yeah, I doubt a 250W motor would be capable of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How are these Fiido bikes allowed on the roads if they don't require continuous pedaling? Don't agree with them at all, seems one or two pedal strokes and then they can be ridden around like little mopeds. I guarantee if they had to be pedaled these lads wouldn't want one.

25kph is fast when it's teenagers going around on footpaths and barely have bike skills. I've seen loads of people nearly crash them because they couldn't stop properly or navigate around people. It's a mode of transport for a lot of them so they don't necessarily have bike skills to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭cletus

They're allowed by default. The fact that they're not actually legal makes no difference if that is not enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

They'd be deathtraps if anyone was riding them that fast. I mostly meet the kids on them stopped at red lights, and they drift off around the same speed as myself. I've never seen anyone going particularly fast on them, though of course my experience may not be universal.

"25kph is fast when it's teenagers going around on footpaths and barely have bike skills."

some of the teenagers around here have bike skills i'm jealous of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭cletus

25kph is about 15mph. Hardly breakneck speeds. Also, are they all on the footpath? Any time kids on bikes comes up on this forum it always seems to be "scobes" "scrotes" and dangerous cycling

Post edited by cletus on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm a fiidophile and I'm neither a teenager or a scrote. It's a great way to get around, really eats up cross city cycles.

How much are other e-bikes of similar style? Is it just Fiido that make these specific small wheeled ones that have shot up in popularity?

you can get other bikes of a reasonably similar size, but not for the same price i reckon. volume probably helps with their pricing; i don't know if they're as popular elsewhere as they are here though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Cool little gadgets - I'd love one.

Poor image at the moment though as they are regrettably mostly ridden by the aforementioned cohort.

This kind of transport makes a lot of sense in a city environment, and look to be a lot safer than e-scoots (would also love one).

Advertisement