Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Highway Code in UK gives priority to more vulnerable road users

• 30-07-2021 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

This has been in the cards for a while but has finally landed.

“The new code will also offer guidance and safe distances and speeds for passing cyclists as well as ensuring that riders have priority at junctions when travelling straight ahead.”

Any chance we’ll get something similar here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Much needed here, as is presumed liability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"The new code will also ensure cyclists have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions."

what does it currently say, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I do not know why would it have to give priority. If you are ahead of me on a bike if I can't pass you as per other laws should that be enough. Rules should not be 2 unnecessary and redundant

It's a good start, but essentially meaningless without presumed liability.

Presumed liability makes drivers really polite and caring, and eager for separate cycling infrastructure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from talking to a friend who lived in NL, the drivers there can be every bit as impolite and uncaring. i suspect the change would make little difference, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

It would make one difference - people would feel safer cycling so more people would cycle. Same (but with far greater effect) when there's a safe, separated, protected cycleways network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

You can introduce any code you like. Won’t matter a sh*te if the gardai whose job it is to enforce it are completely not arsed doing any enforcement.

Advertisement