Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mileage- what figure per year is high?

• 29-07-2021 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at getting a 2015+ Skoda Octavia, petrol, probably automatic.

Have my eye on a 171 1.0 TSI DSG Style automatic with 115k on the clock. That's about 22.5k km a year, which I'm thinking is fine, not high; correct?

Would I be better off paying slightly more (about 1-2k) for similar but with half the kms on the clock?

Obviously I'll look for a log book with regular service history as well.

Thanks,

Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭User1998

22,500k km a year in a 1 litre petrol is quite high tbh. There would be a lot of petrol cars out there only doing half that. Me personally I’d have no issue with it but for a 1 litre petrol its definitely above average mileage.

It really depends on what you want from the car. What mileage you will be doing yourself, how long you will be keeping it for etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I plan on keepnit for 5 years at least, possibly more if it stays reliable.

I'd probably do 15k km at a very rough guess

So at that stage you’d have a 9 year old 1 litre petrol with a little less than 200,000km. It seems high but I suppose with all the down sizing going on and more petrol options coming to the market these days that higher mileage in these engines will just become the norm. Usually a 1 litre would have half that mileage at 9 years old but when they start putting 1 litres in Octavias, Golfs etc that figure is going to get higher.

I think its down to personal preference. Me personally I’d usually go for something with higher mileage and higher spec. But not too high that it would put buyers off when its time to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Came on to ask a similar question. Looking at a 17(2) 1.3 Honda Jazz. 70000 km manual petrol. Again seems about 17k per year which is maybe slightly above average? Any opinions appreciated

Between these two I'm thinking the 2016 would make more sense. Would you think the same? 161 is €500 more, 50k km less, doesn't have reversing camera, doesn't have the slight changes that the 2017 versions got

• 171 Octavia Style 1.0 115HP DSG Auto (style has the reversing camera) 115k (€14.5k). NCT expired March 21.
    • 161 Octavia Ambition 1.2 TSI 110 BHP auto- with 66k (€14,950)

Cheers,

Patrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭on_the_roots

Much more important than the mileage itself is HOW this mileage was achieved.

If it was predominantly on motorways, 115k on a 171 car is perfectly fine. But you need to check it and it can be difficult. If you know the previous owner, where the person lives and works than it is an easy conclusion about the matter.

By the way, this is incredibly hard to find cars being used less than 15k km per year, when you find one this is way out of market price.

Cheers. The 2nd car in my post above is 15k km per year. I'm buying from a dealer so have no idea re previous driver(s).

Would you go for the 2016 vs the 2017 based on the much lower mileage?

I got a new van from work 5 weeks ago. A 211 Renault Kangoo. Had 150km on the clock when I picked it up. As of today it has 9360km...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

More importantly I'd focus on how well it was looked after more so than how the mileage was achieved

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Also something to be aware of, alot of that mileage may have been pre-lockdown. My mileage is nearly non existent the last 18 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭on_the_roots

If mileage was the only main point to decide between them, yes.

However when it comes to buying a used car a lot of different items will play around and you should consider all of them and try to find a balance to make a decision: mileage, current wear and tear, log book, history of the car (accidents, claims, etc), if it was used as a private or commercial vehicle, etc.

Hi again,

I have a few more qs, if anyone could answer it'd be great-

for the 171 (https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/octavia/fpa/202002277786789?journey=Search )

It's 1 owner car used by a company, full service history, dealer will put it through the NCT.)

The NCT is out since March this year, meaning the car's been sitting there since then. Would this be an issue?

Would the fact that it was a company car put you off?

The 161- the dealer is giving a 6 month warranty. Is this standard for a 161 or should it ring slight alarm bells?

Thanks,

Pa.

Post edited by dinneenp on

If it was a company car it probably has a full main dealer service history, so check that. Not really a bad thing that it was a company car. NCT being expired for a while wouldn’t be an issue either as it’s probably been sitting for a while waiting to be sold or put through an auction. And 6 months warranty is normal. A lot of dealers would only offer 3 months as standard. If you want a longer warranty you can just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Apologies in hijacking this thread but I've a similar question on mileage.

Few cars I'm looking at in my price range have between 240,000km and 280,0000km on the clock with these cars ranging between 2011 and 2014.

For the 2014, its a Ford Fiesta and 1 previous owner but has 280,000km on it. Because of the high mileage, its a couple of grand cheaper than models of the same year.

Would you be against cars with such high mileage assuming they all have a full service history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Interesting to hear views on mileage. I'm averaging 50,000 km per year in a 2.0 Audi A6.

Diesel I presume. The one I'm looking at is petrol

Petrol or diesel? Either way its above average mileage. Especially for a Fiesta. 40k km’s per year.

Probably drives fine and was up the down the motorway and with a full service history. But if your going to be doing high mileage yourself it will be worthless soon

I’m a very low mileage driver so I used to buy relatively new cars with very high mileage, 4 years old Golf with 100k miles, 5 year old Passat with 160k miles etc. Always one owner and full service history. Never had a problem with any of them and I always got great value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'm working in Finance for nearly 20 years. I've never once in all that time heard of a company buying/providing petrol vehicles. I'd be wary about that one TBH.

Also, we had a 1.0l petrol Octavia for 3 years. It was a joy to drive and great for our 2+2 family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've a 7 year old a6 with just over 100k kms on it. When buying it in 2018 the dealer had 2 in stock, mine which was a 4 year old 56000km 2014 S Line and there was a 2 year old 120k kms 2016 SE. The 2 year old was only 2000 more than mine but I chose low mileage and spec over reg plate. Which I'd do every time. But it's all preference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I assume to pose the question differently then, what would be the recommended buying approach for someone like myself who will be racking up 35-40,000 kms a year? Only want to spend about €6,500-€7,000 max on a car

• Advertisement

There is no exact mileage that is set in stone. If you bought something with say 100k km’s you could easily drive it for 5/6 years to 300k km’s if you service and maintain it properly. Weather you buy something with high or low mileage you are still driving 40,000km’s a year so you will have to replace timing belts, clutches, suspension, breaks, tyres, etc. You will have to service the car twice a year.

Really you need to decide what type of car you want, what age bracket, and how long you plan on keeping it. It pretty much has to be diesel with that mileage. Maybe I’m wrong here but I feel like if you want something with low mileage for €7k it will have to be something small/cheaply made which wouldn’t be ideal for someone doing 40k a year. Pretty much any decent diesel car for €7k will have high enough miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Full of tradeoffs trying to buy something cheapish to do twice the average annual mileage in. Motoring costs money, and lots of it.

Bigger car v smaller car for long journeys, big car wins every time but costs more

Newer reg v lower mileage, personally I'd drop back years and get a low miler. Buy new and you depreciate it horribly

Something with 300k kms on it already is a lottery to do 40k kms in. Could be fine but could be a nightmare. Parts will be worn.

At that kind of budget and that type of mileage, I'd just prioritise getting the most reliable model of car out there and forsake personal preference for one brand over another. Probably a yaris or one of the Koreans.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

40k a year in Yaris would make me blow my own head. And that's before I would even hit that 40k.

Skoda octavia with a Diesel 2.0 lump would at least make it bearable.

Very true, I've never thought of that. Even though it has a full service history you've made me ponder this as well.

Half thinking of splashing out 22k for a 2018 Skoda Superb petrol automatic with under 25k km on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We replaced our Octavia with a 1.5 Kodiaq. It's lovely and very practical for the high mileage low distance driving we do.

Advertisement