Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

100,000 pre-2008 cars scrapped in 2020

Options
  • 05-08-2021 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Latest stats from the Department of Transport came out recently. Number of standard tax rate cars dropped by 102626 from 2019 to 2020. Even though these cars are getting on now I was surprised at the drop in a single year. With 142974 new and used cars added to the the CO2 system I presume most of them were at the end of their life and were traded and scrapped.

I posted about these stats last year too. Since then we've lost one of our 11 remaining Protons, Rolls Royce still holding steady at 7. Nearly 800 Teslas added but mercifully only 8 Ssangyongs added.

You can download the report here:

gov.ie - Irish Bulletin of Vehicle and Driver Statistics 2020 (www.gov.ie)

Last years thread:

Most cars are now on the CO2 tax system — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Cui bono?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Only 7 Rolls Royce models on Irish roads left? I would have thought it was more or are the ones on Vintage tax not included in the stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

There is no breakdown for the cars over 30 years old so these are just the newer Rolls. I've only ever since one Irish registered RR that wasn't a vintage car. A brand new Dawn going into the Terenure Show in 2019.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Sad state of affairs. Sad to see so many cars get binned which is probably due to NCT fails and a consumerist society looking for newer wheels. I wonder how healthy it is for the environment.

At my age I feel happier to see an old car than a new fancy one. Funny how things have changed since the 1980s when everybody had a banger and an E30 325I would turn heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

An E30 is still valuable now, if anything all the classic 3 series like that, the E36 and E46 are only going one way in value and that is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Think of how many cars were sold new here in the 2000-2007 period - 100k being scrapped in one year doesn't stand out to me as a particularly big number.

It's just the way of the world. A lot of cars seem to get scrapped at around 10-15 years old, regardless of how well protected they are against rust. Cars may get scrapped because they need a clutch or a set of tyres (yes I have heard of this happening)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're scrapped because you pretty much can't insure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Depends, I'm still driving a 06 car and was presently surprised with a cheap renewal quote earlier this year. Hope I havent jinxed it for myself next time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes, but the modern equivalent (330e/ 430i or similar) wouldn't turns heads half as much as a 325i back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have you owned it for some time though?

anyone buying it from you will struggle to insure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Well Austin and Leyland are listed under the makes, so it surely includes cars over 30 years old? Leyland doesn't particularly make sense as that marque wasn't used on passenger cars for a very long time, unless BL era Minis or something were registered as them. There's a lot of bad data, and lots of older cars or imports registered as junk like "Other Other" even when the makes are available in the database.

• Advertisement

From new and hopefully get another couole of years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Mustn't include vintage class. Must have been 30 or more at a vintage rally I was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I have 1998 Astra G, had it 14 years only reason i can get insurance ,don't know if people would see and say "look how old that is", doesn't seem old to me but that's properly my age, getting it through the NCT every year can be a struggle, im sure when i come back for the retest the examiner saids under his breath "for f..ck sake".

(after posting in this ,i will properly never find this thread again with new system as my other posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭on_the_roots

If you seek insurance from a member of the big cartel Insurance Ireland (FBD, Aviva, Allianz, RSA, AIG, Liberty Insurance and Zurich) yes, you will struggle.

In 2019 I bought a 2007 Toyota Avensis and I've been able to insure it with surprisingly cheap premiums ever since, with Kencoo. I'm 33 years old and only 2 with full driver license.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭3d4life

Kennco web site : " Quotations are only available for vehicles up to 15 years old"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was driving a 1998 Jap import for a few years. Axa were the only ones who would insure it as a new policy but I used to get renewals each year from Liberty since I was already with them. I'm sorry I sold that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

And that is where the problem is, but yet if you go to France, Poland or other european countries there are bangers everywhere. What is it about here that we cannot be allowed hold onto older cars for longer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SIMI wanting to flog you a new car, having the ear of government who also want you to buy new as this makes the economy look better, with a sideorder of "green" nonsense, financial institutions which include the insurance industry wanting you to take out credit on a new car and the Irish suburban need to keep up with the Joneses and getting the dopamine hit from that. Plus we were poor for so long that car ownership itself new or old was a pipe dream for so many and not so many generations ago either so that influences us too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It is a shame. My own car is no banger, just looks a little tired, but well looked after, mechanically. I see plenty of older cars that are better minded (cosmetically-wise) and I am surprised how fresh some of them look!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭shane b

My 06 avensis would have been 1 of those cars scrapped. 240k miles and the flywheel went. 1000 euro for a clutch and flywheel, plus it needed 2 tyres and was almost out of tax. To me it wasnt worth the 1600 euro and still have a car I'd grown tired off.

• Advertisement

Response from Paschal Donohue to me regarding scrappage of older cars due to refusal to quote by Insurance companies:

" the Department of Finance has investigated the issue of whether higher scrappage levels in recent years could be attributed solely or primarily to the cost and availability of motor insurance for older vehicles. Its findings then, which are still relevant, were that the cost and availability of insurance was not the sole or main reason for increased scrappage rates, but rather that other factors also played an important role, including changes in motor tax rates in 2008 (from CC to CO2 basis), as well as increases in new car sales, and increases in imported used vehicles from the UK in recent years. "

He (or his Office) recommends using the Declined Cases Agreement if unable to get a quote for an older car. Good luck with that as DCA leaves you at the mercy of the first insurer who refused you and who wants to be subject to the tender mercies of an Irish Insurance Company especially the week after the week after they get off scot free from a finding of anti-competitive practices i.e. price signaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

They're using increases in numbers of used imports and increases in new car sales to refute the idea that insurance is the main reason for people scrapping older cars?

Seems like an epic logic fail. People buying new or newer cars (and scrapping their old ones) is influenced by the difficulty in getting insurance for older cars.

If they had said, increases in new car sales in the 2000-2005 period then they might have had a point as I mentioned in an earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I learned to drive in a Proton!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Just wondering...if vintage tax cars aren't included in the report, could that mean that some of the 100,000 pre-2008 cars that have disappeared are actually 1990 cars that have reached vintage tax status and are still on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes some, but realistically, only a tiny percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭sk8board

Have I missed something here or is the report saying that almost 1/3 cars in the whole country are 1985 or older??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the number of cars that were on the roads in that year, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ah ok! Makes far more sense now alright

Advertisement