Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joining A Golf Club - Help me

• 04-08-2021 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I've been playing golf for the last 3 years casually and want to start taking it a bit more seriously and actually get a proper GUI handicap.

Aside from the obvious benefits of joining a golf club such as competitions, handicaps and meeting new people. What else should I take into consideration?

Do you still have to pay green fees as a member of the club?

Is it worth joining a club and paying upwards of 1500 per year to maybe play once a week during the winter? (I work Monday to Friday and will more than likely only be able to play once a week during winter)

Are you expected to have a certain attendance level?

I'm also curious to learn how close your own local club is to you? We're planning on moving house in a couple of months and have a few clubs in mind and would like to know what people would consider a reasonable distance to their club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

It might help if you let people know where you're thinking of. No you don't pay green fees and yes gof clubs like gyms are more than happy to take your money and then not use their facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel son

No attendance level. Must have certain number of cards in to play competitions in most clubs. Better find a cheaper option to trial and asses the value for money/enjoyment you will get before splashing big money incase you're not fully into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

I'm currently between Powerscourt or Kikea castle as it stands.

They're both potentially within half an hour of where we might be moving to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'd always say try get somewhere close to home if possible. Even if you think you'll only play once a week the option to go out on a weeknight even for 4 or 5 holes or practice a few putts is greater if you're living close by and you'll feel like you're getting better value from your membership

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You can do a simple calculation on how many times you're likely to play and use that as a cost/benefit analysis Vs green fees. So if you reckon you'll play 20 times a year and the green fee would be €50, then your target sub should be around €1000 a year.

As said above, the closer you are to the course, the more times you can pop down of a summer evening to play a few holes or practice. That's one of the main benefits of joining a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

There are intangible benefits of being a member that cannot be covered in a mathematical calculation. One of the main benefits for me is that I can get a weekend game every weekend as there are other members available on the time sheet to play with. If you play casual golf, paying green-fees, you usually need to organise with friends who may not be available when it suits you. This also means that you get to meet LOTS of new people.

I 100% agree that you should try to get a club close to where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CackHand

Something to bear in mind, I believe Powerscourt is full at the moment and well in excess of €1,500 a year.

I personally am in year 2 in my new club as a first time golfer, only about 10 minutes or so from Powerscourt. I had been putting off joining for three years or so. I do not regret joining for one minute. A membership is not something I look at as a commercial decision but it is kind of a lifestyle thing. I can show up and play 4 or 5 holes in the evenings, use the practice facilities, bar and restaurant etc and also meet plenty of people I wouldn't if it wasn't for golf.

I couldn't give you one reason not to join a club, if the cost is not an issue to you. I would personally stress that convenience is the most important aspect of a golf club. Choose one that is close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Out of interest what do people regard as close?

To me under 30 mins drive is acceptable, anything more and you might not consider heading for a few holes on summer evenings when you factor in driving time

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this too.

Anymore than 30 mins would be too much for me to travel for the sake of 9 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

8 mins door to door for me.

wouldn't drive more than 15 tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Defo agree with this. Just having the option to turn up for a few holes or use the putting green/range any night is a big plus for me. Door to door is less than 10mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Around ten minutes for me too. Makes the decision to pop down for a bit of practice an easy one to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel son

Across the road for me. But the random unplanned 9/10 holes because your bored at home is a great facility to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Powerscourt is more like 2400 a year - but 2 great 18 hole courses and great practice facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I think location is very important if you want to get the most golf, but if you want to join a up-market club, than distance isn’t a major issue for you.

I personally look for the following in this order:

distance

like the course

do I know people

value, is it worth the money to me? Ie 1400 for some and 2500 to others

Comps- mainly weekend with major and social side to running the club.

facilities

If you're under the age of 29 (which I am) it's 1800 beans for the year I believe.

Advertisement