Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to safely pack clubs for a flight

• 31-07-2021 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm bringing my clubs with me on an Etihad flight from Dublin Airport. Have you got any tips on how to safely pack and wrap them so they don't get damaged? Thankfully I have no connecting flights so don't need to worry about handling between flights. Can I get the wrapped at the airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

My method is (this depends on the bag you have) to cable tie irons together in threes - the bag dividers obviously have to be big enough for this - otherwise in twos. This makes it harder for the shafts to be bent. I take the heads off all clubs that this can be done to, usually driver and fairway woods/hybrids. I then cable tie the shafts together and put the heads in the pockets.

Bag goes into one of those padded bag carriers - reasonably cheap and work fine.

I've done this for flights to Portugal, Spain and the US. Never had a club damaged. Also have managed to get almost three sets into one bag inside the weight limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd fit a maximum of 2 clubs per divider. I don't think I can take the heads off but I'll look in to. My next door neighbour or the local club might be able to do it for me. We have cable ties and that's a good idea. Had been thinking tape.

I don't have a travel bag.

The heads coming off is only possible with clubs that have loft changing adjustments. So if you don't have that type, don't try and take the heads off or you'll never get them on again. 😂

Travel bags like this one are relatively inexpensive and well worth getting. €50 in McGuirks, but you can get them anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I've flown a few times, heads off driver and whatever ever else I can, then I wrap iron heads in a thick towel between the clubheads and a further one on the outside of them, rain cover over.

😂 Duly noted

Sounds like investing in the travel bag is the way to go then.

• Advertisement

If the heads could come off I'd do it this way

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-golf-travel-cover-870002#colcode=87000203

Managed to pick up this one in store for €42 in Castlebar. Fits lovely.

Thanks everyone for your help ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Walter Alright

I read somewhere about putting something like a sweeping brush handle or something slightly long than the driver into the golf bag

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Can get a broomstick and with strong tape stick a tennis ball on top. This will be longer than all clubs and help prevent damage to impact, especially if dropped upside down as it were

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I usually do it quite simply.. I interweave my rain gear between my clubs and then I have travel bag that the golf bag goes into.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

@Walter Alright @flugel

I saw those sticks that have a mushroom style top but it was almost as expensive as the bag so made more sense to spend the bit more and take the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel son

Travel bag, big stick longer than your longest club, lots of socks for irons and take the heads off the adjustable clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Fatswaldo

Try the broom handle. Best fiver you'll spend. Stick a tennis ball on the end and put in the middle of your bag. Graphite shafts next to it golf towel wrapped around them. Last time I travelled to Spain the broom was cracked by an impact somewhere but protected the clubs. A colleague on the same flight has his driver shaft broken. If you ever see the baggage handler lads in operation, you'll understand why. Buy a travel bag, you'll get your shoes, washbag etc into it as well as clubs. Bon voyage and happy golfing.

I got the travel bag and we're just after bunching them in to pairs and cable tying them. Then we were able to cable tie around the outside of all of the heads so it's like one big block! They are in the travel bag now and ready for go on Sunday.

Be careful to not over-tighten the cable tie holding them all together. You could actually bend shafts if the pressure is too strong over a prolonged period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Gringuss

Slightly related - in people's experience, would you recommend bringing your own clubs or hire a set over there when going to the Algarve for a golf trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Depends on how serious about golf you are.

I rented the first time and it was fine but I missed my clubs, especially the wedges and putter.

If your only going to play once or so I'd rent for the day.

Advertisement