Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sofa (General Chat Thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The original wasn't a series, and instead a film; but Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentleman was a subversive, complex reimanging of various Victorian public domain figures that'd make for a great TV series, the budgets and nous is there to make it. The film was ... abominably bad, not just a bad adaptation but a terrible movie full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I was going to ask a similar question in the Films forum.

Personally I can't think of any examples off the top of my head since if the show wasn't good I just stopped watching so forgot about it. But I know there's at least one I was disappointed in but can't remember it now. Maybe some of the failed genre shows like Debris, The Event or Flash Forward

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I was going to suggest 70s cult favourite Kolchak: The Night Stalker, but apparently this was already rebooted in 2005 with little success. It certainly passed me by. Chris Carter said the original was a huge influence for The X-Files. Speaking of Carter, Millennium is a show that could do well with the correct reworking and tweaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Along those lines I was going to say something like Terra Nova. I also think the NBC show Revolution could have been great with a bigger budget and a sense of scale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good shout; it came out when "produced by Steven Spielberg" was a huge deal for a TV series' hype - before it became evident many of his TV gigs came off really undercooked. Though that could be me.

As to other suggestions, you could probably pick half the SyFy channels cancelled shows, rework them into something decent in other hands. I remember "Alphas" was an ok show, not great, that finally came into its own before SyFy dropped the axe.

• Advertisement

I think I watched one episode and got the impression that they'd just taken a family drama and built this other more interesting plot around it. A lot of American shows seem to do this, it's like they don't trust these concepts to create enough story they have to throw in a load of melodrama too. That said I did only watch one episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd love to see one of the big streaming giants give J. Michael Straczynski the budget and time to make a series.

Part of me would love to see a big budget reboot of Babylon 5 however another part of me say don't touch it as the original is near prefect.

So reboot another of his shows.. Jeremiah another hugely underrated and under appreciated show with a stand out performance from the late Luke Perry.

He kinda disappeared from television; I wonder did Straczynski simply feel burned out and disinterested, 'cos you'd imagine someone of his fame would find a budget and streaming service easily enough.

Like I said it got better, but as you remark those early episodes were rough for those precise reasons; that American obsession with looping their dramatic fiction around family units, actual or circumstantial. But it needed time - which I suppose is ironic given the streaming era is a little slow to give shows exactly that.

He was creator of Sense8 on Netflix with Wachowski's however since then he has been quiet on all fronts except for some comic writing.

I was actually going to mention this show as one that could be remade, I only started watching it recently so not far in but some of the writing and characterisation is so bad and cliched. I'm enjoying the concept and will keep watching but it's very chonky.

• Advertisement

It is very over the place. It is an example of interesting concept but execution is very random. And with Wachowskis involved, it was like they were trying to recreate the Matrix rave scene in loads of episodes of this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Trey Parker & Matt Stone have signed a deal to make 14 South Park movies,a new video game and renew the series till season 30 in a deal worth 900 million

Both Peacock & Paramount+ announced to operate her soon the only issue for me is you need to be tied to Sky to get them.

So that's no from me I left Sky for a reason and that was to have more freedom/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah Sky seem to have a monopoly here with regards non Netflix or Disney Streaming. HBO Max can't come here due to Sky's deal with HBO and now they are getting Peacock and Paramount +. Tried NowTv for the month and hardly used it. Alot of the shows on it, I would have seen when they released in the US.

Wonder what that will mean for the various Trek shows on Amazon and Netflix if the home channel's appearing on these shores.

Ironically I've been thinking about moving to Sky as they're the only TV provider here in Dublin (as far as I can see anyway) that allow you to choose a different BB provider.

Large leap but fcuk it....New Doctor Who showrunner!!!!!!!!

It'd be an amazing, genuinely exciting choice that'd shake up the franchise in a good way. Won't happen of course

Funny only talking about him a few days ago in here and then this he is a man who understands science fiction a man who knows who to build story arc's a man who understands what fans of this genre want. He is the perfect man for the job if that's what he wants.

Clearly Straczynski read me wondering where he had gone to, and said; feck that. If Pixelburp thinks I've disappeared, gotta fix that. You're welcome everybody.

• Advertisement

Looks like the reason he took a break film and TV was to write a novel which got released last month that is getting great reviews.

Together We Will Go

The novel is about suicide and assisted suicide.

On Doctor Who he straight out say he wants to put his hat in the ring for the show runner gig and understands not being British might cause some push back but he’s ready for it.

Has he ever written for the show before? Don't they usually like to promote from within.

No to the first question and yes to the second; Russel T Davies relaunched the show but hadn't IIRC worked for BBC on a major drama back in 05 (his two prior hits were channel 4 productions I believe). Since then the new showrunner has been a writer under the prior one. That nepotism could be a large reason why the show has become so stale mind.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Was thinking last night of another possible answer to my reboot question - Sliders.

It ran for 5 seasons but had so many problems. Like it had lost 75% of its original cast by the end of season 4 and storylines seemed all over the place. I'm sure it can't be easy coming up with an alternate reality every episode, especially with other series now being set in alternate timelines. But I'd say if they had shorter seasons it could feel less fillery.

They were talking about a Sliders reboot last year John Rhys-Davies said Jerry O'Connell had been pestering him for a few years about coming back and he said he would come back he also said that O'Connell was in talks with NBC, So NBC could pick it up for Peacock.

Not even sure how that would work considering the fate of their characters. Think John was first to leave.

Unless it was a complete reboot in which case you would think they would go younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They tried a Slideresque show a few years ago, only made it to the pilot. Doubt this will ever happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Mike Richards Confirmed as ‘Jeopardy!’ Host, Mayim Bialik to Front Primetime Specials

• Advertisement

Wonder will that harm ratings - there had been some push back against him on social media.

Thought and hoped Levar would get it, and he seemed to be the favourite at one point.

Advertisement