Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car written off and I need a new one fairly fast!

• 04-08-2021 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

So my car has just been written off and I need to get a replacement in the next week or two for work purposes. I was saving towards a car but only have about 6k saved before a car crash and was hoping to buy something between €12-15k down the line. I’ve one kid and a big dog and was set on getting an estate once I had the money saved. Now I'll look to use the 6k combined with a loan for the remainder. Diesel will probably work best as even though the car sits in the drive a few days a week, the other days I could be driving for 3-4hrs.

Knowing very little about cars, I had done some research on the following shortlist:

Mazda 6 – They look good and I had an older one years ago that I loved driving. But it seems the newer diesel models have issues

Ford Mondeo – This was my last car until the crash, a big sluggish and heavy but a comfortable drive.

Toyota Avensis – Pros: I know one or two with them and them seem solid.

Skoda Octavia or Superb – not a fan of how they look but I know they are good bang for buck.

I see the Seat Leon get mentioned sometimes here. I wouldn’t know much about the likes of Kia or Hyundai.

Right now I’m leaning towards a Mondeo estate. Are there others that I should be looking at? Any reason not to go for a Mondeo?

Comments

Firstly, I'd stay a mile clear of the Mazda 6, a lovely car to look at & drive but , jeez, those engines have a well documented history of major ( injectors & heads) problems..... their track record is clear from their second hand value/ prices.

You really can't go far wrong with the mondeo ( saloon OR estate)..... Great car for the money & reliable. Obviously, depending on the size of doggie the estate may be the better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

What about the Passat? Im not sure about Titanium Mondeo, but I drove zetec and Passat Sport and Vw won by having better seats.

Have one for last few years, 2014 2.0ld, besides service I havent had any bigger issues. Nice to drive, comfy for longer journeys and quite good on fuel. In mixed im getting around 6,5l/100km.

Could be more expensive than Mondeo in the same year, but I would personally recommend one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your going Mondeo then go for the 2.0 litre over the 1.6/1.5 litre especially in estate form.

I'd also second ruling out the Mazda6, it's Russian roulette with that diesel engine. Octavias and Superbs are good cars but you will pay a hefty price for one second hand. I'd rule out the Hyundai i40 and Kia Optima too, basically the same car underneath but ones within your budget have less than perfect reliability, gearboxes and clutches are made of chocolate on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Youredeadright

Thanks Yoshiktk, I must have another look at the Passat - comfortable seat would be a big deal for me.

Thanks for that Bazz, my last one was 1.6 and it definitely felt a bit heavy. I got used to it but would be handy to have the 2.0.

I have to narrow the search fairly fast so I'll rule out the Mazda 6, Hyundai and Kia. I'd be worried about the cost of parts etc if I got a Mercedes or another luxury brand. My plan is to hold onto this car until we are fully into the electric car age (whatever that will look like!), so hopefully have it for 10 years or so.

• Advertisement

No problem. To be honest that was a big surprise to me. Drove Mondeo first, wasnt bad but as soon I got into Passat it was like on whole different level.

Just FYI, ive talked with my mechanic during my last service. Asked him about C/E Merc 2008+. As I was looking for one myself, the only thing he said that they are good paperclips, far from old Merc bulletproof build quality.

Any thoughts on this Mondeo (can't post links): donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-estate/28597588

1.6TDCi 115PS Zetec

132 FORD MONDEO ESTATE 1.5 TDI ECONETIC 6 SPEED GEARBOX IN IMMACULATE CONDITION. 119,000 MILES, NEW CLUTCH FITTED 100,000

€6,250

Its a bit older than I was originally planning but I could avoid taking out a loan to cover it. The engine is the same as my last one so it's not got great power but like I said before, I'm used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mankteln

Add says NCT till January but disc in the window of the picture is out next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

In 2019 I bought a 2012 Avensis for €5,800. Mileage is on the high side at 280,000km but it has been bomb proof for the past 2 years.

I'd recommend them to anyone looking for cheep and cheerful diesel motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

If you have 6k right now - you could honestly add little and get a good quality 5 series estate with a 3litre TDI engine (avoid to 2 litre, they are a nightmare).

Will be nice, comfy, spacious and powerful as can be. Pick up a former UK fleet option for low enough money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mondeo or Avensis in 2.0 diesel in both is where its at in your price range.

Which one you'd buy depends on things like what you can find in decent condition etc.

Like for like the Ford is a nicer car but an immaculate Avensis is better than a rough Ford (this also applies in reverse).

Another curveball - post 08 Renaults might be worth a look.

They improved the build quality vs the dark days of Laguna II.

And the 1.5 dci isn't a bad unit

Could You show me the direction of those 5-series? Or what do You mean a little? Up to 10k there are only few 2010 with 3ld.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Been a while since i went looking but got me a former fleet full service history one myself for 7,500 a fee years back (2009 reg). I guess a little might be going up to 7k (at least that was what i intended)

Would imagine they are about for the 6k mark now. Mind you I get my cars in Mayo as they are always better value than Dublin. Big miles on a 3L Diesel really mean nothing if they are the right kind of miles.

One thing I would say is ignore anything with a tow bar.

Right, car loan approved yesterday so I'll get something a bit newer. I'm looking at these two Mondeos (still can't post links):

Car A: donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-zetec-2-0-tdci-150ps-econetic/28808646

Car B: donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-172ford-mondeo-1-5-tdci-style/28201480

Car B comes in a bit cheaper, less mileage and a year newer but Car A has the bigger engine and more extras. Would I be mad to be favouring Car B here? It looks like a decent price compared to others I saw but maybe I'm way off.

Advertisement