Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best option for 3 hr round trip commute?

• 03-08-2021 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Currently I drive a 2010 skoda superb and I have a commute of 3 hrs (round trip). With the price of diesel continueing to head north Im looking at my options. I have a budget of around 10-12k and trade in value of my own car. My commute is mostly primary/secondary round as through Meath to Louth. I am used to the driving comfort of the superb but considering if hybrids/electrics are a viable option or should i just stick with the diesel chugging superb?

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless your current car is giving you trouble then I cannot see the benefit of changing. I cannot see a hybrid returning the same mpg on that commute and a Nissan Leaf is probably the only ev within your budget which won't give you the same level of comfort as your current Superb which should be just as important as mpg to you. 10-12k buys you a lot of diesel and heavy depreciation has already peaked on your current car. I'd keep the Superb going until it starts costing you money in repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

I’d run the superb into the ground , if I was you,

alternatively a brand new Dacia Sandero (just released)that comes standard with LPG and a petroltank might suit within your budget , if there’s an LPG supplier en route or either end . Some very positive YouTube reviews on the Dacia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and brand new for 13k can't be sniffed at

...its basically the renault clio underneath isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ask yourself though would you want to be doing a 3 hour daily commute in a Sandero type car? I'd value comfort over a new reg for that sort of commute.

Advertisement