Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on 2020 Leon Mk3

Options
  • 03-08-2021 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

Close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Always quick to offer advice to other car buyers on here but different ball game when looking myself 😁

I'll try to make it simple but i never manage to!

It's a 2020 last of the old shape, middling spec with the 1.0tsi. Priced accordingly. Was looking for a Mk7 or 7.5 Golfs and was looking at 2016 or 17 cars with 100+k kms on them for the price of the Leon which has effectively delivery mileage, reg'd last year and sitting up since, there seems to be a few of these floating around the trade for some reason.

The Pros of the Leon

-it's not a Golf so we wont have "his and hers" Golf 7's at home

-2 years of manufacturers warranty remaining

-low kms, fresh reg, effectively a new car

Con's I guess are

-middling spec, no ACC, small wheels but does have large multimedia screen and active dash

-last of the old model which is an ageing hat

-wont hold it's value great

-explaining what a Leon is and how it's like a Golf

Can't really see much online about the Leon, good, bad or indifferent but i think that in itself sums the car up.

Not so much looking for advice on the deal which i know is good but what are peoples thoughts on the Leon? I liked it personally but that's coming from a car that doesn't even have buttons on the steering wheel, no parking sensors, 5 speed box and A/C that doesn't work.

My car is getting on a bit, few bob to be spent and i've had it a few years, just feel like a change. Would like to stick with a VAG product.

Mk3 Leon, yay or nay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

would try for a higher spec one if possible. I had a fr mk3 1.5 was a lovely car and found it good on fuel was getting close to what I was getting out of my 1.6 mk6 golf. Changed up to a mk4 and have been in the dealers more times than I care to mention…regret the upgrade and I’m only a few months into it! Spec can be fairly sparse on the other models than the fr. Most of them wouldn’t have had acc it would have been an option at time of ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Thanks, yeah will be moving from a 1.6 Mk6 myself.

TBH i thought the 1.0 felt a lot more lively than my current Golf but i dont know what that says about me or the Golf!

Happy enough with the spec of this car, i'm at a level where having a factory aux input is still impressive but i'm under no impressions that it's heavily spec'd, it isn't. It's effectively entry engine, entry spec but the draw is althought it's reg'd a year ago it's virtually new unused.

Good to hear you had a generally good experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Family members have had 1.0 t petrol engines of many make and models but when i drove them "very little tbh" they just felt idk delicate. Would any 1.0 t or tsi take much "spirited" driving. Isnt there other 1.4 or 1.5 t and tsi that would feel like a better drive

Just a question would you consider a 1.5t civic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

if it hasn’t been activated make sure to get CarPlay\android auto added into the deal.think it cost 150 or something like that at the time unless it’s changed now.

had a look going by the spec you’ve said red one seems to match the bill, Funny that they specced the digital dash and larger screen on it.

One i'm looking at isn't on DD, i see the red one in Wicklow there, it's basically that exact spec but black and no kms.

Wouldn't really go for a Civic, heart is set on a VAG product, i've accidentally turned into a fanboi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

No bother vagfanboi

Leon is a nice car all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I can see the attraction of the low mileage and nearly new nature of the car, always very seductive.

But be careful, once the car is in your drive that novelty wears off fast, and things like comfort, practicality, the interior (Seats can feel a bit Spartan inside), infotainment, the day to day things become much more important. If the car ticks those boxes now for you then go for it. It's a handsome car with well proven mechanicals. And most importantly its not a Golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I had mk3 182 Leon FR estate 184hp as a loaner for few days when my old baby cupra was for some warranty work and I loved it ( apart it being diesel ). Very comfy and nice inside/outside. Was well equipped too.

Then later on I had new shape 201 1.5tsi auto while my car was serviced. And to be completely honest I preferred older one by a mile. Waaaay less comfy, interior was obviously more modern, but it felt way cheaper for some reason. Due to very harsh suspension ( even in comfort mode ) interior and body noises were just way to loud.

I would personally would go mk3 over new one, if I kept it for longer then 3 years, but I would get FR in highest spec I can find and definitely bigger engine then 1.0.

I'd stay away from the most basic spec car if you can, go for a year or two lower with a good spec it'll stand to you when moving it on. I got a good deal on a bog standard focus 2 years ago it was a style spec, when it came to moving it on it was a nightmare because there was so many of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi there

I have the estate 1.6tdi for almost 4 years now. Generally excellent car as a motorway cruiser and also use it with family from time to time. I had a golf before it and the Leon is very similar. All in all very happy with it.

I think if you are planning to keep it for a good few years its probably a good buy but they have a very poor trade in value - about 3k less than the equivalent Skoda Octavia so it only makes sense if it is about 3k less when buying. I had a think about trading mine recently but was put off by the extremely low offers on trade in which were about 4k - 5k less than the prices on Carzone. ie 161 Seat Leon Estates were about 12.k for cheapest on carzone and I was being offered 7.5k. At that price I'll be keeping mine and driving it for as many years as I can.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with the above and that's pretty much what happened.

Decided against the Leon, a grand car in every respect and all it was but there was just something that didn't sit well with me, probably the spec, really.

Settled on an Octavia, 18 months older than it but was give or take the same price.

Way too much info about the Octavia here for anyone interested.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058202707/what-tfb-bought-next#latest

"explaining what a Leon is and how it's like a Golf" - this will never happen.

Advertisement