Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUV advice - Kodiaq v Q5

• 02-08-2021 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi all. As the title says I am looking for some views on an SUV. I am going to buy new or very nearly new…ideal budget is around €50k and that includes c.€20k trade-in on current motor.

My mind is pretty much set on an SUV, have driven estates and saloons in the past so want to try out an SUV. Two kids for the moment and plenty of gear so boot space is important, along with comfort as we do plenty of cross country trips as a family.

The budget would get a top spec Kodiaq (Sportline or Style) and a Tiguan AllSpace Highline. An extra 5k-10k on top gets an entry level Q5 or XC60. Could stretch the extra amount but not sure if I want to.

Would love to hear people’s experience on those options, or any other ideas? I guess what I’m interested in is the comparison between top spec Kodiaq and entry level Q5/XC60.

Currently driving a Highline Golf and last 2 cars before have been an E Class estate and A4.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Sometimes Volvo do deals on packs but everything on an Audi will cost you extra... everything. A fully loaded Kodiaq will be nice (there's a facelift just out if you're buying new) but it won't feel like an Audi or Volvo quite so much on the inside. Certainly for the price of a new Kodiaq, a year or so old Q5/XC60 could be an interesting comparison.,

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I was thinking that alright but there are very few 1 year old Audi/Volvos around. I guess there wasn’t much demand during COVID. Don’t want to go any older…

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

I switched from an X5 to a new Kodiaq Style 4x4 190 Auto with some extras (all round cameras, BLIS, Heated s/w, 19" alloys, etc.). It is not as well polished in the inside as my previous X5 but has lots more extras than any Audi, Volvo or BMW I looked at. Theya ere all about 25-30k more expensive for a similar spec. It drives better than my last car too.

If you want the badge (nothing wrong with that sir) get the Audi. However, the Kodiaq is incredible value for money and I love every minute I spend in it.. Residuals are high in general right now but you should easily get a decent one year old one, fairly well loaded and low miles, for the price you mention.

Unfortunately the new incarnation 2021, has been upped to 200bhp and suffers on the road tax as a result and on the list price of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not the first person to say that they move from X5/Q7 to the Kodiaq. Seems to be a very popular choice.

That’s great feedback and exactly what I was hoping to hear. Ultimately will have to test drive and see how I feel. I spec’d up a new Style with a few options and it was coming in around €52k. Will the dealer have any appetite to discount do you think? Other than manipulating the value of my trade in!

• Advertisement

It's easy to reach 52k with the options. However, that gives you a lot of car compared to the competition. AS you have a trade in, it's hard to judge what deal you might get. In my opinion the competition is really, Santa Fe, Sorrento (possibly the best other option - quite big) Tiguan ALLSPACE (the standard Tiguan is much smaller), Terraco, Peugeot 5008 (a bit smaller) etc. Note that the 5008 does not not have an AWD option on case you need that.

The basic models of Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc are too poverty spec to be real competitors for what I believe you want from the vehicle ?

Any options you wouldn’t be without? The Style Pack along with the panoramic sunroof are on the list anyway. There is a travel pack with lots of safety tech but it adds another €1,600.

Heated Steering Wheel is brilliant on bad mornings. Could not live without one now.

Keyless entry is good

Drive Mode Section is not too expensive and has various setting for snow, san etc. if you go for 4x4

The surround cameras are fantastic if you have to park in tight spots or have an other half that is not used to parking.

Drivers memory electric seat for the same reasons (other half).

I have the upgraded Canton stereo system and that is also great.

Back \ grey 19" wheels like great (my car is back) and only cost about 200 extra

Off-road underbody pack has already proven it's worth.

Double glazing for front windows - also very good in traffic for keeping noise out

Digital Dash is also brilliant. You have a few different set-ups , all customisable and one is a 3d (ish) Nav display. It's great when you are trying to find somewhere (last mile etc.) . Main display can be normal sat nav map and the digital dash display can be a zoomed 3d nav screen.

The one thing I would not go for again is the automatic parking gizzmo - no need if you get the surround cameras and it's a bit fiddely to use.

I've had electric sunroofs in my previous cars and never opened them more than once or twice. Keep in mind that the Style has 2 or 3 zone climate control.

All this and an extended warranty (to 5 years) came to about 54k when I bought. If I recall correctly I built an equivellent X3 xdrive 2.0 with similar spec and it came to ball park 77k. I'm sure an X5 would would be similar. Once you go above the base poverty spec model in any luxury brand, especially adding 4x4, it starts getting into heart to over head territory. And no, it is not depreciating quickly at all, in fact holding well against any luxury brand that I looked at when buying.

Forgot to mention : when you add surround cameras you will have to go for BLIS (blind spot) and folding auto dipping mirrors - unless the option thing has changed. The cameras also give you forward and rear automatic braking (i.e. if the sensors see someone they warn you and then stop the car.) Very handy when reversing out of the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

Moved from an A6 to a Kodiaq last year for the seven seats basically. Bought a 3 year old SEL model, came from the Uk originally. Still loving it a year later, honestly the interior build is not on par with Audi but not saying it’s bad either, just not as good. Plastics are a tad more plastic if that makes sense. One thing I’ve noticed is that’s it’s much easier on fuel to the a6, mine is dsg also. Space is king especially if you don’t need the 3rd row seats up you have a huge boot space compared to the q5. The q5 was also on my list but it wouldn’t take all 3 kids seats and was too small overall for us, lovely jeep otherwise.

Next on my list would be a sport line version or an FR tarraco, similar Jeep.

Drive them all, bring the kids and fit their seats if they are still in those as you can see first hand then what extra space you have with the kodiaq or you might find the q5 is big enough.

• Advertisement

That’s good to hear that there are no regrets from leaving your Audi. Is the SEL the equivalent of the Style model in Ireland. Do you get three kids seats across the 2nd row?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭whats_my_name

Depends on the car seats - booster, isofix etc. There are only 2 isofix fittings in the 2nd row and none in the back row.

Demand for second hand Kodiaqs is through the roof at the moment, very hard got. If ordering new it'll be more than likely a January/February delivery especially if you want extras. The semi conductor shortage is seriously affecting supply with very little coming through. And at that prices for which won't be released until mid October for Jan registrations.

Ive already been advised 12/14 weeks by a dealer for factory order. If 2022 prices come out in October could the price of my wagon have increased by the time it’s delivered then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I would have thought that it will be more expensive in some way as 2022 brings the facelift model which I think is worth waiting for anyway. It looks very slick!

One of the Dublin dealers have said that if I ordered now, I should take delivery in late November and it would be a face-lift model but at current prices. However if I wanted to wait for 2022 delivery it would be at a higher price.

Any idea how much of an increase I should expect? Wouldn’t be bothered either way with a 212 or a 221 plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭declan_8

Yes, I’ve had 3 I the 2nd row, 2 boosters with the seatbelts and maxi cosi through iso fix.

SEL is style basically, I miss the front park sensors tbh but a camera would be even better. Apart from that it has all the kit I’ll ever need and kids are happy. I do keep one of the boosters on the 3rd row to prevent the arguments so have to have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Take a look at the Kia Sorento, just got a hybrid one and very pleased with it so far.

Has 7 seats with 2 isofix in the 3rd row, tons of space, loads of spec, 360 cameras, heated seats, CarPlay, rear window blinds, adaptive cruise control and will stead itself. Does 50km on the battery without much worry so very easy to run on short trips. It’s all surprisingly well finished.

Advertisement