Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GDPR, Boards.ie and Vanilla, how does this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Meanwhile the site still says hosted by Digiweb at the bottom of every page, and none of the links - some of which are statutory requirements - work.

2 weeks in, that is nowhere near good enough.

The static part of a website should be the easiest part to get right. These are just pages of text. But very important pages of text.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

to whom it might concern, as it was not advertised or i didnt found... after heavy presurre here i believe, links finaly up and working. all other obviously still dead

https://www.boards.ie/content/privacy

https://www.boards.ie/content/cookie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

That first link says our data will not be transferred outside the EEA

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Thanks @smuggler.ie we got that sorted finally.

I posted in another thread but just to reiterate here - it was simply not good enough that it took us this long to get this sorted. It is not like we had to go and get legals drawn up etc... we had everything sitting waiting. I notified the DPC earlier in the week of our failings here - and I will ask them to do a fresh review on the site again to make sure we are meeting all requirements.

Our new world is taking a bit of time for us to navigate - but we have figured out a lot in the past few day and are making good progress now.

Thanks again for your patience with us on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

6.6 We do not transfer any Personal Data outside of the EEA. However, certain third parties providing services to our Sites may transfer data outside of the EEA for example, for storage purposes. 

Is Vanilla a "storage purpose" ? Are they providing just the content delivery platform or are they hosting the database? Are their US data centres involved in any way? Is the site really hosted by Digiweb Hosting as the bottom of each page still says?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Good morning @Boards.ie: Odhran, I appreciate the update.

I see in the Privacy Policy that you state that data won't leave the EEA, and that Vanila are down as software providers only (and not hosting), both of which are contradicted by statements from @Boards.ie: Niamh.

Can you post (or PM) the DPC incident number that they would have assigned to Boards following your chat with them?

For good order, can you clarify:

• Where the data is now hosted, and which company is actually hosting it?
    • Do you consider a breach of personal data to have taken place?
    • Which companies have read access to personal information such as users' Names, E-mail addresses, Social Media data accounts and IP logs?

I don't think anyone here is calling for GDPR fines or the like. Speaking for myself, I just want to know what you are doing with my data, if what you have recently with it complies with your polices and GDPR and what you are going to do in future to ensure that this sort of confusion and rather cavalier attitude towards your users' data doesn't happen again.

Why does it still say it's hosted by Digiweb when it clearly isn't anymore?

Screenshot 31/07/2021 @ 17:25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭droidman123

What is it that people dont get about boards.ie? Its a shithole vile site and has been for years,like a lot of others.i am in the unfortunate position of monitoring the mods and "admins" of this and other sites and i can tell you this is one of the most obnoxious sites ever,it has been for years. Do not trust it,personally i wouldnt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think Droidman drank a little bit too much last night.

Why is admins in "" while mods isn't.

Hide the phone when you're on the sauce man.

• Advertisement

I stand by everything i said,the reason admins was in " is because they are the worst culprits.if you are not capable of adult discussion without resorting to saying stay off the sauce,its probably best to dont say anything at all

Those private messages should be auto deleted perhaps. Although if I had ever used that service I would delete it anyway.

There's a lot of talk, as usual, about GDPR. The last time there was an issue here, when it was introduced, there was also a panic and Boards decided to delete all posts when a person deleted his account. Which was over kill.

As far as I know the idea that every move of data within the EU, say between datacenter, needs the authorisation of the consumer just isn't true. If iCloud moved my data from Germany to Ireland they wouldn't have to tell me. With regards to suncontractors, those subcontractors need to be in compliance but I don't think that you have to be informed. Its fairly common for companies to provide services to other companies.

Well he made a good point. You have 5000 posts on a “vile” site. What do you mean you are “monitoring” the admins and mods? Bit sinister sounding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You are the one who came on here spouting BS about being in a position to monitor mods and admins. No such position exists other than admins dealing with mod issues or the employees of boards dealing with any admin issues. You are not privy to any of these workings.

I said you were on the sauce as at least that might explain the nonsense post. The alternative is that you are a shitstirring liar.

You know best yourself which one is true.

The irony in that post is that you have just proved me right

You can report me to your superior who you are monitoring me on behalf of 😆

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

So, considering Odhran's response [which address almost none of the points in this thread] and their new privacy policy, there is now a question on whether the full data set is still based in Ireland or Europe rather than Canada. Hopefully we get confirmation on that.

Looking at their cookie policy and consent. It's very unclear. They mention the companies who own the cookies but not what each cookie purpose is.

The Cookie Consent form looks to be fundamentally broken and not fit for purpose.

1. They use deceptive design patterns by having an ACCEPT ALL button in blue and a "Cookies Settings" button in white. The ACCEPT ALL button just jumps out. I actually accidentally clicked ACCEPT ALL one or twice by accident as it was the only button I saw at first glance. Now, I know many, many, many websites use this deceptive practice. This is blatantly trying to get their users to click the blue button and accept all cookies. This practice isn't illegal but enforces my newfound mistrust for Boards.
    2. The Cookie Consent isn't GDPR compliant. I've listed the GDPR cookie compliance points below. A website MUST "Make it as easy for users to withdraw their consent as it was for them to give their consent in the first place.". Boards fail at this. They have an ACCEPT ALL button but no REJECT ALL [or REJECT ALL UN NECESSARY]. So, it takes one click to accept all cookies but two clicks. Clearly one choice is easier and much more prominent than the other.
    3. Their cookie consent doesn't actually work. I cleared all of my cookies, opened up a new tab. Pressed F12 to view cookies and surfed to Boards.ie. The cookie consent popped up. But before I made a choice, four cookies were created already, two of which are Google Analytics. This just shouldn't happen. One is a vanilla cookie and one is a cloudflare cookie. It could be argued that two of the four cookies are necessary, definitely the cloudflare one but as Boards don't list the reasons for each cookie, it's hard to say. So, clicking "Cookie Settings", you see everything is disabled except "Strictly Necessary". Again, perfectly fine. Click "Save and Exit". Now 35 cookies are created, 27 of which belong to Google. So opting out of all non "Strictly Necessary" cookies, dumps 35 cookies on your computer, most of which belong to Google. Admittedly, all above was in Google Chrome. I'm not seeing this happen in Firefox to this extent. Wierdly, I ONLY get the Google Chrome experience if I DON'T have the devloper console open. If I open the dev console. I see only the cloudflare cookie regardless of settings. I'm seeing similar in Edge but nowhere near as many cookies as Chrome. Still 4 cookies created [including two ga ones] before Cookie Consent choice. With other GA ones created after rejecting them.

• Receive users’ consent before you use any cookies except strictly necessary cookies.
    • Provide accurate and specific information about the data each cookie tracks and its purpose in plain language before consent is received.
    • Document and store consent received from users.
    • Allow users to access your service even if they refuse to allow the use of certain cookies
    • Make it as easy for users to withdraw their consent as it was for them to give their consent in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Does anyone know how to find the cookies and privacy notice on the mobile site?

I can't see them anywhere and even the dead links are removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,349 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hi @Boards.ie: Niamh Can you please confirm how passwords are managed on the new site? Are they salted and hashed? I'm assuming that they weren't salted and hashed on the old site, given that were obviously exported from the old site and imported into the new site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I know that vBulletin had a reputation of being not the most secure piece of software but I would be amazed if storing passwords in plaintext in the DB was even an option and from a cursory glance at the vBulletin docs it appears they started off with salting + hashing but moved to blowfish in later versions (they may use something different now). I assume that the encrypted value can just be imported to Vanilla.

Actually, salting is automatic in php these days. They SHOULD be using the password_hash() function rather than the old, maybe crypt() function. Then they don't have to create and store their own salts. It's included in the hash.

your password can be stored as a hash and exported. Typing in a clear text password will then get hashed and compared to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I'm not sure. My "Allow other members to see your email?" is turned off but I honestly can't remember if it was that was post migration or if I turned it off.

That wasn't present in the old software, indeed, I've never seen that as an option in any forum.

Some users may have had it turned on during the migration.

Hi @Boards.ie: Odhran / @Boards.ie: Niamh,

Any chance of some answers to this?

Also, I note in the Privacy Policy that you have mailchimp down as email services (as well as google). Yet I note that your emails are coming through sendgrid? Who are owned by Twilio? A good company, one that I'm surprised you are hiding from your users.

I note this as your emails are failing SPF and DMARC tests, and are flagging as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jesus h christ, every Irish company I've dealt with on projects always insisted that all their cloud hosting was Ireland or at least EEA and these clowns shipped it all off to Trudeauville without saying a word?

So is my data has been moved to outside the EEA?

• Advertisement

Yes, it has.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement