Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Floor insulation question

• 28-07-2021 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

My builders are about to pour my concrete floor slab for an extension. The radon barrier is in, insulation fitted, and the plumber is running pipes. We've had torrential rain and the insulation is literally floating. They've put concrete blocks to stop it lifting up.

My understanding is that the concrete will just shove everything down evenly, displacing the water and that it'll be grand. I'd have preferred if the concrete was poured when everything was bone dry last week. Does anyone know whether it makes a lot of difference? I'd be interested to hear what more experienced construction people than me have to say. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 docst

Eh... Are you pouring the finished floor? I take it that's theres no underfloor heating involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

There's no underfloor heating involved. Just a concrete slab onto which I'll be putting timber flooring. In the meantime I hired a submersible pump and pumped out all the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It'll be fine, the concrete will push the water out. Happens in probably 95% of pours. You should have steel mesh on top of the insulation though, and any services would normally be tied onto the mesh and these will floating during the pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

The heating pipes are just clipped to the insulation but there's no mesh reinforcement. I better ask the builder about that. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement