Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought car from main dealership last week and tyres in poor condition - advice please

• 03-08-2021 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Purchased a Used car from one of the main dealerships last week and one of the tyres got a puncture on Saturday. I have just dropped the car into a garage for check and the guy says all tyres should be replaced as they have cracks in them.

When we bought the car, the dealer supplied us with a sheet listing all the service checks done including tyres. Yet, they seem to need to be replaced.

I have ordered a new set, but wondering what I should do about the cost? Should I ring the dealer and push for them to pay the cost?

The tyre place will be taking photos of the tyres when they are up on the lift and he will send them to me.

Not had this experience before with a dealer so unsure how to approach it. Plus, the guy who sold us the car is on leave this week.

Any advice would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Can we see a pic of the tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Funnily enough, the few times I’ve got punctures, I’ve been advised to have all tyres changed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

When was it nct'd last? Some tyre places like to drum up business.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I rang back the mechanic and told them to cancel the order for tyres and to just invoice me for the inspection and to take photos. I think I am better off bringing it back to the dealer as is and let them take a look. To be fair to the mechanic he did show me the cracks. Will send on photos when I have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Cracking would normally be from age which shouldn't be the case on a 192.

How old are the tyres? Guide here https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tyre-age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I got brand new tires on car, went into place about two month later with puncture and was told the first two needed replacing

when I said I only bought two months ago was swiftly told they got my car mixed up with another and off they went

pure gangsters but probably doing it to every car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It would be very unusual for two year old tyres to show signs of the rubber perishing. What is the manufacturing date (week + year) on the tyre sidewall? Are the tyres the brand shipped by the manufacturer? The tyres it wheels might have been swapped out, either by the garage or by the previous owner before trading it in. Either way they should be roadworthy.

I am waiting to get the car back from the mechanic, I will check the manufacture date then. The tyres are Dunlop from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

a 192 with cracked tyres already?

Are they age related cracks? Or cracks from damage after the tyre was driven on while flat after a puncture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

How many km on the car and has it got a service history ? Details on tyre depth should be in the service history..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tyre place is pulling a fast one I'm willing to bet. How big are the cracks? small cracks on the threads are normal.

I got the car back from the mechanic and all tyres are stamped 15/19 so I assume manufactured in March 2019? As for crack, here is a picture of the punctured tyre.

17,000 km on the clock and apart from an inspection pre-sale, it has no service history. The garage was first owner. The dealer sponsor a golf pro and gave him the car as a run around from new then we bought it.

In terms of the tyre depth, according to service sheet:

Front Offside - 5

Front Nearside - 6

Rear Offside - 6.5

Rear Nearside - 6.5

According to the mechanic, other tyres are displaying similar cracks.

Going to ring the dealer customer care team now and see what to do.

Should they be replacing all the tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A lot of cars sat on lots for 6+ months last year, or longer. Could have been a contributing factor in pre-aging the tyres?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you contact the dealer to sort it, you may wind up with the cheapest of cheap tyres. I'd be calling the garage and asking about the car with 4 faulty tyres that they recently sold, and ask is there anything they can do about it.

They'll likely want to take care of it themselves, with budget friendly tyres. Perhaps you can come to a compromise, if you wanted more premium tyres.

Sorry I might have been unclear. I bought the car from the main dealer. I should have said, the dealer was the first owner. No garage involved at all.

I rang the customer care team and they said they would get the manager of the dealership to ring me. I assume they will ask me to bring it in to them for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Tyre minimum thread depth before changing here is 1.6 mm so your tyres should be OK ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Those tyres definitely are not OK, did you look at the pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Looks like off road driving there.Wouldn't perishing be on the side walls of a tyre? Would be asking the dealer to replace but as one poster said they might budget price tyres,so pick your brand and pay extra if needed-best way out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do all the tyres have similar cracks or just the one you got repaired?

Edit ->

Just reread the thread and saw your 11:02 post. If all tyres are showing similar defects I'd definitely be looking for them all to be replaced. They're a blowout waiting to happen.

You bought the car from the dealership, it's their problem to fix. If they want to take it up with the tyre manufacturer that's their business not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭enricoh

That's poor from a 2 year old Dunlop with 17k on them, if it was a dongwong I'd say fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Gas how you know it's a Dunlop without it being mentioned anywhere on thread that I can see 😀

I agree though, looks like a Dunlop. Not uncommon for them to perish that early IMO, not that that makes it ok.

Wouldn't be awfully bothered by that level of perishing on my own cars tyres but I wouldn't be wild about an approved used car being supplied like that, OP does deserve a new set of tyres and ideally not Dunlop, i find Conti are a bastid for premature perishing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭con747

The OP's post @ 9.12am state they probably are Dunlop.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sorry, missed that, still fumbling through the relative disaster that is the new improved site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Which type of Dunlop tyre is that OP? Pretty shocking failure for a 2 year old big brand.

The tyres are Dunlop Sport Blue Response.

The dealership manager rang me yesterday and asked me to bring it to the service centre so a colleague could look at them. I brought it up yesterday afternoon and they took a look at the flat tyre and saw that the crack was all the way around and there are signs of similar cracks on the others. They said it was strange for 2 year old tyres to show this. Anyway, the guy I spoke with said he would speak to the dealership manager about replacements and let me know. Not heard anything yet.

He mentioned something about a set of Hankooks. Hopefully they sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hankooks would be in the same kind of league as Dunlops anyway and are original equipment on plenty cars.

the cracking is unusual and by no means a result of not being a top tier brand.

Advertisement