Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

King Richard (Williams sisters biopic)

Options
  • 02-08-2021 7:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Well, sorta. Seems mostly centred around the father, as the title implies. Will Smith playing the titular role; always feels a bit weird when biopics cover a living figure, or figures in this case. Seems ripe for hagiography.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

double post.

This new boards is so user unfriendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My original post was..

Isn't this the film that Smith took a lot of flack for not being black enough to play the role of Richard Williams.

He'll win an Oscar finally once the wife starts to threaten people. And then he'll have to give it back to satisfy the baying masses!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,984 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 84,984 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jon Bernthal is playing coach Rick Macci

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Looks garbage lol

Actually its pretty good. Interesting story indeed as the father is a mad bast**.

What can women do to get some recognition in todays world. Be the best in tennis, yet it is the father figure that gets the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Father figure"? He is their actual dad, not a surrogate 🙂

Serena and Venus were both Executive Producers on this; given they're both fairly outspoken people, and were apparently on-set collaborating with the actors playing them, one presumes they were OK with this film being made and didn't think it an affront to their status or profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thats a weird take , without wanting to state the obvious but behind most elite athletes there are shall we say motivated parents and thats putting it mildly, doubly so if I assume they didnt grow up well off and where Tennis would have been an alien sport.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I saw this last weekend and I really enjoyed it. Smith is the stand out and for sure it's Oscar bait. He'll probably win at that. Its an old school film, the kind of true story that Disney was known to knock out. Well worth a trip to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Lip Out

Saw this last night, it is an excellent watch. Flawless from beginning to end. Smith most certainly worthy of any accolades for his performance. I read that the the two young female actresses had to learn to play tennis as they had never played prior to filming... very impressive as they most definitely looked like seasoned pros!

not remotely possible given the level they were playing at and shots they were hitting. Good story though!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Lip Out

Before they even read their first lines, Sidney and Singleton — who had never played tennis before —had to perfect their swings and serves. “We spent a lot of time on making sure the tennis looked good, Tim [White], especially coming from his world,” Trevor White said. Tim White added, “Pro tennis players need to feel this is real. We spent a lot of time developing the plan and how to do it.”

For the actresses, that meant hours upon hours of work on the court. “The tennis training was a lot,” Singleton said. “It was hard. I feel like both of us were just so honored to help tell the Williams family story. So all the pain, and the soreness, and anger within myself for not getting it right, I feel like it all worked out in the end, because we finally came out with something that’s amazing.”

I just cant believe its true. The level they played at would take years and years to get to, having grown up playing tennis all day everyday myself. Maybe there was some tricks used in the filming, but just to be able to serve the way they were serving would take years of coaching and practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I enjoyed it, they portray the dad as being really stubborn to the point that in your head your are shouting "let her play" "take the money" but without overly explaining his reasoning for being so. At the end of the day he was right and he seemed to have a handle of the toxic side of elite tennis `where kids are pushed to breaking point and beyond by their parents and coaches

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement