Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Guy

• 07-12-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Freeguyposter.jpg

Starring Ryan Reynolds, Jodie Comer, Joe Keery, Lil Rel Howery, Utkarsh Ambudkar and Taika Waititi.

In the open world video game Free City, an amalgamation of Grand Theft Auto and Fortnite, Guy (Reynolds) is a non-player character, working as a bank teller. Thanks to code developed by programmers Milly (Comer) and Keys (Keery) inserted into Free City by the publisher Antoine (Waititi), Guy becomes aware of his world being a video game, and takes steps to make himself the hero, creating a race against time to save the game before the developers can shut it down.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jodie Comer eh, playing what appears to be a character entirely within the same cupboard as Villanelle from Killing Eve. A less psychotic version by the looks of it, but definitely the same "f*ck it" attitude. To the point where she could be a breakout action star if the chips fall her way.

Otherwise, that absolutely looks like Lego Movie, retrofitted into a blatant off brand GTA clone, with Ryan Reynolds playing a type he can do in his sleep at this stage. If he ever decides to do full drama again, the world might crack with shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looks like it might be a bit of fun. Prob something my wife would go to cinema to watch with me. Not a lot of movies we will go and see together so I’m good with this if it is Ryan Reynolds doing what he does...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Wreck It Ralph Truman Show :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mainstream Hollywood rarely "gets" video game humour, often coming off a little forced in that "how do you do fellow kids" sorta way. And it's a subject about a million YouTubers have already endlessly lampooned in short form - not sure it can sustain a movie length. Just by way of example like:

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mainstream Hollywood rarely "gets" video game humour, often coming off a little forced in that "how do you do fellow kids" sorta way. And it's a subject about a million YouTubers have already endlessly lampooned in short form - not sure it can sustain a movie length. Just by way of example like:

Yeh but Ryan Reynolds.

hot.jpg

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yeh but Ryan Reynolds.

He’s so hot right now.

Oh sure, I'd not be surprised if this started as "a Ryan Reynolds film" and the executives workshopped it backwards from there - with maybe some input from Reynolds for the direction (as I believe he's a bit of a nerd himself). But that's what I mean, it makes the thing feel really hollow. But sure who knows, could be just the trailer doing a terrible job; wouldn't be the first time.

Oh sure, I'd not be surprised if this started as "a Ryan Reynolds film" and the executives workshopped it backwards from there - with maybe some input from Reynolds for the direction (as I believe he's a bit of a nerd himself). But that's what I mean, it makes the thing feel really hollow. But sure who knows, could be just the trailer doing a terrible job; wouldn't be the first time.

Closest I can think to this is hardcore Henry. Trailer looked great, loved the idea and Copley is a fine actor for that sort of role but it was missing something. Can’t quite get it, might even of been the score that felt out of place.

Maybe the trailer will be poor on this but the movie good ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its one of those films that looks mildly amusing but wouldnt get me off the sofa to go see it, you can fill in the blanks from the trailer, its no The Truman Show.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    its one of those films that looks mildly amusing but wouldnt get me off the sofa to go see it, you can fill in the blanks from the trailer, its no The Truman Show.

I can go and see it with my wife in cinema.

I wouldn’t be expecting a Truman show, I’d be expecting more silly suicide squad type vibe, but hopefully better. I think with these movies you need to not over think it and just go along for the ride. Don’t care about why it’s made, how cynical it is or what Hollywood wants etc, I want to have a laugh for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Epic NPC Man too

That crew recently did release a movie/short (35mins long rather than their usual 1-2min snapshots)

Cast involved in Free Guy know how to make a fun film anyways. Nothing too hilarious in the trailer, but there will probably be some chuckles. As said, Ryan Reynolds could play this role in his sleep and Waititi is usually entertaining. Wreck-It Ralph and Lego Movie vibes, but that's not a bad thing.

🤪

Not trying to step on people's desire to have laughs or legislate against the "turn your brain off" argument, just saying that as a subject it feels already saturated on other media, and not begging for entering the cinema over. Not when I can just re-watch "Wreck it Ralph" ;)

Not trying to step on people's desire to have laughs or legislate against the "turn your brain off" argument, just saying that as a subject it feels already saturated on other media, and not begging for entering the cinema over. Not when I can just re-watch "Wreck it Ralph" ;)

As a person who generally over thinks everything, I can relate to your sentiments.

However, where I am possibly fortunate is that I have learned over the years to try to not to over think movies. I absolutely love movies. Loved working in xtra vision in the 90s. Love going to the cinema. Love the watching movies and shows with my children. Tv is the one area I’ve been able to generally switch my brain off and go with the flow and it’s served me so well. It’s not that I can’t ge disappointed or see crap stuff, it’s that I spend far less time on stuff that doesn’t work for me.

Why a studio is making a movie makes no difference to my enjoyment of a movie. I think it’s why I can’t relate to a lot of you in here who seem to thrive on putting things down before they even hit the theatres. Maybe I’m getting old or just not very hip!

I feel very fortunate to be able to just try to focus on what I can get from where we get then lament about everything to do with certain projects. I’m not trying to scoff at others, I know many of you take your movies very seriously, prob like me and football that drives me mad. Prob Need to take my own advice and apply it to other things in my life, seems like I’ve been able to figure out how to really enjoy most movies but not everything else in my life !!! :pac:

It's not even a question of taking films "seriously": I'm well capable of partitioning my brain as to enjoy (say) fluff like Yesterday or Space Sweepers, as well as hardcore "cinema" such as Parasite or Uncut Gems; it's just when a film like this comes along that smells kinda lazy, it's hard to reciprocate the minimum interest the studio clearly lacked when greenlighting the film :)

Despite any suspicion to the contrary from some around here, I'm no film snob. I also just value my time to a degree that if the studio isn't arsed, neither am I ;) OBviously if a consensus declares this the pick of the summer I'll give it my time tho'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

As a person who generally over thinks everything, I can relate to your sentiments.

However, where I am possibly fortunate is that I have learned over the years to try to not to over think movies. I absolutely love movies. Loved working in xtra vision in the 90s. Love going to the cinema. Love the watching movies and shows with my children. Tv is the one area I’ve been able to generally switch my brain off and go with the flow and it’s served me so well. It’s not that I can’t ge disappointed or see crap stuff, it’s that I spend far less time on stuff that doesn’t work for me.

Why a studio is making a movie makes no difference to my enjoyment of a movie. I think it’s why I can’t relate to a lot of you in here who seem to thrive on putting things down before they even hit the theatres. Maybe I’m getting old or just not very hip!

I feel very fortunate to be able to just try to focus on what I can get from where we get then lament about everything to do with certain projects. I’m not trying to scoff at others, I know many of you take your movies very seriously, prob like me and football that drives me mad. Prob Need to take my own advice and apply it to other things in my life, seems like I’ve been able to figure out how to really enjoy most movies but not everything else in my life !!! :pac:

We could be twins!!! My sentiments exactly. I have a fair idea of what will do it for me, and what won't. I put time into looking on the net beforehand to see what movies I think I will get the best kick out of - whilst at the same time trying to avoid spoilers etc. And like you, sometimes I'll be thoroughly enjoyed, and sometimes I'll be disappointed. I don't care about the external things that are going on re the movie making - the complete issue for me is did I enjoy the movie at face value.

I can dig plotholes very tolerably. The way I look at films is that they are escapism. That's for me anyway. I have enough shltty things going on in my life, so for me to switch off from that for 2 hours is great.

I guess I cannot understand why people would go looking for unnecessary negatives in films. On a different thread, one guy or gal got completely worked up because the family in A Quiet Place didn't build a house beside the waterfall so that they could talk. Why would you get into that headspace? Just relax and enjoy the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I can go and see it with my wife in cinema.

I wouldn’t be expecting a Truman show, I’d be expecting more silly suicide squad type vibe, but hopefully better. I think with these movies you need to not over think it and just go along for the ride. Don’t care about why it’s made, how cynical it is or what Hollywood wants etc, I want to have a laugh for awhile.

everyone has their own preferences, I tend not to go see comedies in the cinema anyway

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comedies are rarely "cinematic" these days, and is something often lamented by those pesky cinemaphile types who want to ruin all yer fun :pac: Someone like Edgar Wright is a very rare pearl whose own chucklefests look amazing, and use the camera to accentuate the comedy with visual cues, puns or whatnot. On the flipside, Paul Feig's films are just borrrrring to look at.

We could be twins!!! My sentiments exactly. I have a fair idea of what will do it for me, and what won't. I put time into looking on the net beforehand to see what movies I think I will get the best kick out of - whilst at the same time trying to avoid spoilers etc. And like you, sometimes I'll be thoroughly enjoyed, and sometimes I'll be disappointed. I don't care about the external things that are going on re the movie making - the complete issue for me is did I enjoy the movie at face value.

I can dig plotholes very tolerably. The way I look at films is that they are escapism. That's for me anyway. I have enough shltty things going on in my life, so for me to switch off from that for 2 hours is great.

I guess I cannot understand why people would go looking for unnecessary negatives in films. On a different thread, one guy or gal got completely worked up because the family in A Quiet Place didn't build a house beside the waterfall so that they could talk. Why would you get into that headspace? Just relax and enjoy the film.

Every time I come in here to talk about a movie , even before it’s released , there can be so much negativity surrounding them. Aliens , Star Wars in particular but it seems to be the thing nowadays. I don’t be on Twitter or other social platforms and I don’t want many spoilers so generally only know the basics before a movie comes out. So I come in here kind of naive and sheltered to all The other toxic baggage that seems to be a thing now.

But I like to look forward to movies and talk about the ones I’m actually interested in seeing. I can’t be overlycritical of those who are so negative because you need only look at my similarly overly negative posting on the United forum , can’t throw stones in that glasshouse. I guess it just feels like there’s more people in here who are more negative then positive and it’s hard to engage with more optimistic movie goers who have a lower bar Like me :D
    silverharp wrote: »
    everyone has their own preferences, I tend not to go see comedies in the cinema anyway

That’s true , I suppose I just don’t expect this to be anything like the Truman show. Absolutely loved that movie, probably my favorite Carey movie.

Baba O'Reilly makes me want to see it, but I bet it's the best part

• Advertisement

Every time I come in here to talk about a movie , even before it’s released , there can be so much negativity surrounding them. Aliens , Star Wars in particular but it seems to be the thing nowadays. I don’t be on Twitter or other social platforms and I don’t want many spoilers so generally only know the basics before a movie comes out. So I come in here kind of naive and sheltered to all The other toxic baggage that seems to be a thing now.

But I like to look forward to movies and talk about the ones I’m actually interested in seeing. I can’t be overlycritical of those who are so negative because you need only look at my similarly overly negative posting on the United forum , can’t throw stones in that glasshouse. I guess it just feels like there’s more people in here who are more negative then positive and it’s hard to engage with more optimistic movie goers who have a lower bar Like me :D

I don't this forum is negative at all TBH, though the more agenda-driven posting does feel that way. It's not so simple to talk about positive and negative opinions: everyone who posts here likes or loves cinema, otherwise we wouldn't post at all (obviously!). But there are too many tastes and preferences to come down with one unifying theory of cinophillia; while plenty of the films themselves can illicit both ends of the spectrum of feelings (eg: Wonder Woman 1984 was a pretty awful film, but! I enjoyed myself all the same, never actually bored by its full-blooded lunacy).

But, to be "negative" when it comes to mainstream entertainment - and obviously, this is just my view - it's born more from the frustration of knowing blockbusters can be awesome, peerless entertainment ... but also lazy, hacked products that don't respect their audience. To be critical then is to ask for something more from a medium you KNOW can do better. And yes, even from "turn your brain off" films. It's the difference between a really sloppy, soggy chip and a beautiful, crispy slice of spud (ah shíte I want chips now)

And, to throw your own acknowledgement back at you, you clearly understand this idea perfectly well, if you're posting about (Manchester?) United; presumably you know how good the team CAN be, and has been, so get upset and irritated when they don't live up to that historic precedent isn't strange or "negative" - it's born from love and support of your passion :)

I don't this forum is negative at all TBH, though the more agenda-driven posting does feel that way. It's not so simple to talk about positive and negative opinions: everyone who posts here likes or loves cinema, otherwise we wouldn't post at all (obviously!). But there are too many tastes and preferences to come down with one unifying theory of cinophillia; while plenty of the films themselves can illicit both ends of the spectrum of feelings (eg: Wonder Woman 1984 was a pretty awful film, but! I enjoyed myself all the same, never actually bored by its full-blooded lunacy).

But, to be "negative" when it comes to mainstream entertainment - and obviously, this is just my view - it's born more from the frustration of knowing blockbusters can be awesome, peerless entertainment ... but also lazy, hacked products that don't respect their audience. To be critical then is to ask for something more from a medium you KNOW can do better. And yes, even from "turn your brain off" films. It's the difference between a really sloppy, soggy chip and a beautiful, crispy slice of spud (ah shíte I want chips now)

And, to throw your own acknowledgement back at you, you clearly understand this idea perfectly well, if you're posting about (Manchester?) United; presumably you know how good the team CAN be, and has been, so get upset and irritated when they don't live up to that historic precedent isn't strange or "negative" - it's born from love and support of your passion :)

I do indeed understand and I can relate to the almost self destructive element that comes with such expectations. It’s why I said I am fortunate to not over think movies and try to look for what can take from them and it appears to be the one interest my personality can actually take a more balanced, less emotive , relaxed appreciation.

I don’t enjoy being angry at United, a lot of it is wasted energy that doesn’t really serve any positive purpose.. I don’t take any satisfaction at all from it and I’m not so sure fellow United fans enjoy my constant complaining about the same things/issues.. lazy Hollywood or movies that don’t need to be made or sensitivity to a franchise origin movies is a similar toxic sort of fandom. I can suffer from this at times be fair but generally don’t lament too much on it.

One can try and convince oneself that having higher standards means we enjoy the good times better but that’s nonsense and/or snobbery or both. Kevin smith said it best when he said he tries to just review and discuss movies he likes. I guess that’s how I try to be in general , except movies I think are awful that I saw in cinema, like “new mutants” have gotten some of my wrath.

Just back from seeing this, such a fun movie. Crazy amount of gaming Easter eggs and a lot of unexpected cameos.

Channing Tatum

was hilarious in the small scene he has midway

Reynolds is so weird; it's like when Deadpool came out a switch went in his head that made him dive fully into this deeply meta, public version of himself. I vacillate on whether I like it or not. The actual style of humour I have limited patience for, but the guy seems genuinely likable and is having a laugh.

He always had this style from the start to be fair (you watch VanWilder or Blade 3 and the schtick is there), but the attempt to make him a "straight" Hollywood leading man was arguably binned at Deadpool, the actor fully becoming his own brand - itself a variation of Deadpools own self awareness. Don't think there has ever been Anything like it in a "leading man". Comedy acts yes, frequently, not a headline star though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

This was a lot better than I thought it would be. Really enjoyable, smart, funny and charming. This is probably the film "Ready player one" should've been. Some matrix stuff going on and everyone seems to have had a blast in making it. Definitely worth a punt

I loved it very popcorn fun enjoyable, Ryan being Ryan, loved the cameos mentioned above

• Advertisement
Advertisement